Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Nexus 4 battery: one month in

For some reason I've never gotten amazing battery life no matter how hard i've tried on any of my other phones. With my GS2, I changed ROMs, Kernels, everything to try and get great life while seeing ppl reporting upwards of 16hrs to at most a day of use. The most I could ever muster with that phone, after switching kernels and roms and all that, was 10hrs. No matter what. Same story every time. Now it looks like no matter what I turn off with this phone, or adjust, I just won't get consistent battery life. Some days i'll get 12 or 13hrs, other days it'll get 8 or 10. I'm just going to shift my mindset to just USING the phone and not worrying about that stuff, and just charging whenever I can. I have a car charger so i'll just plug up whenever im driving. I do pray a software issue can help battery life though. Phone is great when idle though.
    promanex likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    For some reason I've never gotten amazing battery life no matter how hard i've tried on any of my other phones. With my GS2, I changed ROMs, Kernels, everything to try and get great life while seeing ppl reporting upwards of 16hrs to at most a day of use. The most I could ever muster with that phone, after switching kernels and roms and all that, was 10hrs. No matter what. Same story every time. Now it looks like no matter what I turn off with this phone, or adjust, I just won't get consistent battery life. Some days i'll get 12 or 13hrs, other days it'll get 8 or 10. I'm just going to shift my mindset to just USING the phone and not worrying about that stuff, and just charging whenever I can. I have a car charger so i'll just plug up whenever im driving. I do pray a software issue can help battery life though. Phone is great when idle though.
    Ya if you use the phone it sucks juice. When idle its amazing. I just bought an Anker 5600 mAh battery pack and it's awesome. Only around $30 on Amazon. Well worth it as you can put both in your pocket while charging. And it charges super fast.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    aggie 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by Lugz6002 View Post
    Have you tried tweaking with the settings of the phone? I'm running on stock, but have made the following tweaks to increase the battery life:

Disable location reporting
    Disables unused apps (ie Google+)
    Disabled cell broadcasting
    Disabled auto-brightness and lowered screen brightness to around 20%
    Disable Wi-Fi when I'm not using it
    Disabled NFC
    Bluetooth off (I never use it)

Give those a try and see how you get on.
    OH! well, no - I've not done any of that! I'd rather be able to use my phone properly. I'm not going to go around disabling everything to squeeze out more battery life. I can't think of any situation I'm likely to be in where I would need more that ~10 hours of battery life away from a charger (car, office, home, friends house)

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Ya if you use the phone it sucks juice. When idle its amazing. I just bought an Anker 5600 mAh battery pack and it's awesome. Only around $30 on Amazon. Well worth it as you can put both in your pocket while charging. And it charges super fast.

I really don't like carrying anything more than my keys, phone, wallet in my pockets at all times. I seem to lose anything that isn't those three things

Quote Originally Posted by promanex View Post
    OH! well, no - I've not done any of that! I'd rather be able to use my phone properly. I'm not going to go around disabling everything to squeeze out more battery life. I can't think of any situation I'm likely to be in where I would need more that ~10 hours of battery life away from a charger (car, office, home, friends house)
    I understand what you're saying, but you should at least disable the things that you are not using. Of all the things I've listed above, the brightness was my biggest concern, but turning off the sensor and keeping it at around 20% was still bright enough to be very usable. If in bright sunlight, then yeah, I would make it brighter. The rest I was not using, so why leave them on to use up battery life?

I've was an iPhone owner for 4 years (still am, as my work phone is an iPhone 4) and there was no way I was going to switch to a Nexus 4 and then disable all of the cool stuff, like Google Now. However, like I said, if you're not using a service / function that eats battery, then why not switch it off?

Franco latest nightly kernel, battery calibration and juicedefender plus with NFC off:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 battery: one month in-screenshot_2013-01-03-08-09-471408119040.png  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    I really don't like carrying anything more than my keys, phone, wallet in my pockets at all times. I seem to lose anything that isn't those three things
    I wouldn't carry it in my pocket unless it was critical. I've been in situations where I am out and have no where to charge up. Airports for example. Some places you have to wrestle with people over the plugs. Or if you are out late and need a charge. Great in a pinch but not always needed.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Franco latest nightly kernel, battery calibration and juicedefender plus with NFC off:
    Screen on time? Seems like you've had the phone idle for awhile so I don't know how to take that. I could charge my phone to 100% and lay it down for 16hrs and probably have what you have running stock. How much of that is you actually using the phone?

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

On my last charge I managed to get 6 hours screen time.. So nothing to complain about from me
    Thanked by:

I did not keep track of screen time but that is at least a couple of hours of firefox, e-mail checking amd currents plus another hour or so of phone calls. On my phone there is not any way I could do this on stock.

I've had some odd battery days in the past month, but this week things seem to be going fairly well.

Currently at 15%, 16 hours on battery, 4 hours of screen time.

And I'm about to plug it in for the night in an hour or so.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here are three cycles I've had with my replacement N4. The 24-hour one was with all but a half-hour on wi-fi and note the screen on time. Signal strength barely drops below three bars most places I live/work around. Screen brightness manually set to 25%; usually leave wi-fi and BT on; don't have apps constantly polling servers. Other than Gmail pushing, most of the usual suspects are under control.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357289921047.jpg   Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357289935165.jpg   Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357289944645.jpg  
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Default Nexus 4 battery: one month in

Promanex have you rooted and unlocked yet?

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

My "normal" usage. Perfectly happy with this performance. The lack of WiFi is during work hours at which point I switch on the mobile Internet. Signal strength was all over the place so I'm sure it would perform better if I had a good constant signal. This also includes 6-7 hours of sleeping time. Also i put it on 2G signal to increase battery life as I only need the mobile internet for basic emailing and whatapp...which seems to work just fine on normal 2G speeds. Turned it to HSPA maybe 3-4 times for maximum of 10 minutes for larger emails and attachments.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357313474221.jpg   Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357313528301.jpg   Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357313561796.jpg   Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357313598173.jpg  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Here are three cycles I've had with my replacement N4. The 24-hour one was with all but a half-hour on wi-fi and note the screen on time. Signal strength barely drops below three bars most places I live/work around. Screen brightness manually set to 25%; usually leave wi-fi and BT on; don't have apps constantly polling servers. Other than Gmail pushing, most of the usual suspects are under control.
    Looks good Dirk. So overall you are happy with the replacement? Looks like you solved the battery problem.

Android Evangelist

There isn't a way that we can tweak the core voltages is there?

Got about 20% additional life by reducing the stock CPU voltages on my previous phone.

Quote Originally Posted by sailflat View Post
    There isn't a way that we can tweak the core voltages is there?

Got about 20% additional life by reducing the stock CPU voltages on my previous phone.
    You can but it requires root. The franco kernel lets you do this.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Looks good Dirk. So overall you are happy with the replacement? Looks like you solved the battery problem.
    While the battery life is better than the original unit, it's only comparable with my GS2. Compared to the people here who are getting more raw hours with over 4 hours of screen time, it's disappointing. Check out where I'm at now - - 70 minutes screen time in less than 8 hours with 2/3 used doesn't strike me as that good.

UPDATE: 2nd screen added before plugging in. Sorry for the giant size; Tapatalk refuses to edit posts with thumbnailed, forum-hosted images. Weak.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 battery: one month in-uploadfromtaptalk1357343030897.jpg  
    Last edited by DirkBelig; 01-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

While the battery life is better than the original unit, it's only comparable with my GS2. Compared to the people here who are getting more raw hours with over 4 hours of screen time, it's disappointing. Check out where I'm at now - - 70 minutes screen time in less than 8 hours with 2/3 used doesn't strike me as that good.
    hmm. Well that's not good. One question. Are you using the SwiftKey Flow keyboard?

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just loaded the new beta tonight, but haven't tried it yet.

Over four hours and 5% left. Will report back after a complete drain/fullcharge

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

i was getting some terrible drainage the past few days and finally figured out what it was. I am in the process of uploading all of my music to google music and had sync on. When ever song would upload it would wake the phone to sync it. I saw a massive rise in android os and android system while this was happening.
    Google Android Affectionado
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs85 View Post
    My "normal" usage. Perfectly happy with this performance. The lack of WiFi is during work hours at which point I switch on the mobile Internet. Signal strength was all over the place so I'm sure it would perform better if I had a good constant signal. This also includes 6-7 hours of sleeping time. Also i put it on 2G signal to increase battery life as I only need the mobile internet for basic emailing and whatapp...which seems to work just fine on normal 2G speeds. Turned it to HSPA maybe 3-4 times for maximum of 10 minutes for larger emails and attachments.
    You're getting 28 hours to my 13-1/2 hours; 2:45 of screen time to my ~1:45; 1H 45M of talk to my 20 minutes. Now I know battery life is wildly variable for these. This is lame. Crap.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I just loaded the new beta tonight, but haven't tried it yet.
    okay. I had it loaded for a few days and was wondering if it was sucking battery. I just loaded the beta2 and today seemed like I was draining faster again. Could just be a fluke. I didn't notice anything odd in GSM.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

You're getting 28 hours to my 13-1/2 hours; 2:45 of screen time to my ~1:45; 1H 45M of talk to my 20 minutes. Now I know battery life is wildly variable for these. This is lame. Crap.
    I got 4hrs of screen time with 11 hours off charge today. I think I may be spending too much time on my phone.

Android Evangelist
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast