Nexus 4 battery: one month in

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I posted in another thread on this forum.

Battery_life.png

Screen_time.png

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's ok but compared to other users screenshots I've seen on this forum that batt life is abysmal. You might have a defective unit.

What services are you running? Seems like you should be able to get much better.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hmm yeah I think looking at that I am getting short changed... I am running CM10 nightlies, would that reduce my battery life by a great deal? I might return to stock and see how it does and take it back if it's still bad. Only problem is I don't want one of those non-shiny ones :(

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm yeah I think looking at that I am getting short changed... I am running CM10 nightlies, would that reduce my battery life by a great deal? I might return to stock and see how it does and take it back if it's still bad. Only problem is I don't want one of those non-shiny ones :(

Have you tried tweaking with the settings of the phone? I'm running on stock, but have made the following tweaks to increase the battery life:

Disable location reporting
Disables unused apps (ie Google+)
Disabled cell broadcasting
Disabled auto-brightness and lowered screen brightness to around 20%
Disable Wi-Fi when I'm not using it
Disabled NFC
Bluetooth off (I never use it)

Give those a try and see how you get on.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Personally, i'm tired of people worrying so much about their battery life and screen on time vs. this or that...

Just use the damn thing and enjoy! I'm on my 4th android phone now and its the same thing each and every time! lol. Always people who find "fault" with the new phone and are never happy.

Fact:
There are phones out there with much better battery life and specs. Instead of making new threads everyday about how much this phone sucks, sell it and buy the one with what you really want. You won't do it because you will find faults with that phone as well! Surprise! Ugh...

This is not for OP. this is for the few who just complain to complain....

end rant.

bubbly1724

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The battery is obviously not as good if you modded the out of your previous device and/or bought extended batteries for it. Coming from an HTC G2 currently on 4.2 and with a 3500mah battery, the Nexus 4 battery is horrible. The max battery out of the G2 was 10-11 hours of youtube streaming with screen on, and considering my Nexus 4 doesn't even get half of that, it is a bit disappointing. Of course the Nexus 4 is a great and fast device, but it still leaves a bit to be desired.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I've never gotten amazing battery life no matter how hard i've tried on any of my other phones. With my GS2, I changed ROMs, Kernels, everything to try and get great life while seeing ppl reporting upwards of 16hrs to at most a day of use. The most I could ever muster with that phone, after switching kernels and roms and all that, was 10hrs. No matter what. Same story every time. Now it looks like no matter what I turn off with this phone, or adjust, I just won't get consistent battery life. Some days i'll get 12 or 13hrs, other days it'll get 8 or 10. I'm just going to shift my mindset to just USING the phone and not worrying about that stuff, and just charging whenever I can. I have a car charger so i'll just plug up whenever im driving. I do pray a software issue can help battery life though. Phone is great when idle though.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I've never gotten amazing battery life no matter how hard i've tried on any of my other phones. With my GS2, I changed ROMs, Kernels, everything to try and get great life while seeing ppl reporting upwards of 16hrs to at most a day of use. The most I could ever muster with that phone, after switching kernels and roms and all that, was 10hrs. No matter what. Same story every time. Now it looks like no matter what I turn off with this phone, or adjust, I just won't get consistent battery life. Some days i'll get 12 or 13hrs, other days it'll get 8 or 10. I'm just going to shift my mindset to just USING the phone and not worrying about that stuff, and just charging whenever I can. I have a car charger so i'll just plug up whenever im driving. I do pray a software issue can help battery life though. Phone is great when idle though.
Ya if you use the phone it sucks juice. When idle its amazing. I just bought an Anker 5600 mAh battery pack and it's awesome. Only around $30 on Amazon. Well worth it as you can put both in your pocket while charging. And it charges super fast.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried tweaking with the settings of the phone? I'm running on stock, but have made the following tweaks to increase the battery life:

Disable location reporting
Disables unused apps (ie Google+)
Disabled cell broadcasting
Disabled auto-brightness and lowered screen brightness to around 20%
Disable Wi-Fi when I'm not using it
Disabled NFC
Bluetooth off (I never use it)

Give those a try and see how you get on.

OH! well, no - I've not done any of that! I'd rather be able to use my phone properly. I'm not going to go around disabling everything to squeeze out more battery life. I can't think of any situation I'm likely to be in where I would need more that ~10 hours of battery life away from a charger (car, office, home, friends house)

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ya if you use the phone it sucks juice. When idle its amazing. I just bought an Anker 5600 mAh battery pack and it's awesome. Only around $30 on Amazon. Well worth it as you can put both in your pocket while charging. And it charges super fast.

I really don't like carrying anything more than my keys, phone, wallet in my pockets at all times. I seem to lose anything that isn't those three things :)

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
OH! well, no - I've not done any of that! I'd rather be able to use my phone properly. I'm not going to go around disabling everything to squeeze out more battery life. I can't think of any situation I'm likely to be in where I would need more that ~10 hours of battery life away from a charger (car, office, home, friends house)

I understand what you're saying, but you should at least disable the things that you are not using. Of all the things I've listed above, the brightness was my biggest concern, but turning off the sensor and keeping it at around 20% was still bright enough to be very usable. If in bright sunlight, then yeah, I would make it brighter. The rest I was not using, so why leave them on to use up battery life? :)

I've was an iPhone owner for 4 years (still am, as my work phone is an iPhone 4) and there was no way I was going to switch to a Nexus 4 and then disable all of the cool stuff, like Google Now. However, like I said, if you're not using a service / function that eats battery, then why not switch it off? :)

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Franco latest nightly kernel, battery calibration and juicedefender plus with NFC off:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-03-08-09-471408119040.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-03-08-09-471408119040.png
    152 KB · Views: 41

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I really don't like carrying anything more than my keys, phone, wallet in my pockets at all times. I seem to lose anything that isn't those three things :)
I wouldn't carry it in my pocket unless it was critical. I've been in situations where I am out and have no where to charge up. Airports for example. Some places you have to wrestle with people over the plugs. Or if you are out late and need a charge. Great in a pinch but not always needed.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Franco latest nightly kernel, battery calibration and juicedefender plus with NFC off:

Screen on time? Seems like you've had the phone idle for awhile so I don't know how to take that. I could charge my phone to 100% and lay it down for 16hrs and probably have what you have running stock. How much of that is you actually using the phone?

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I did not keep track of screen time but that is at least a couple of hours of firefox, e-mail checking amd currents plus another hour or so of phone calls. On my phone there is not any way I could do this on stock.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had some odd battery days in the past month, but this week things seem to be going fairly well.

Currently at 15%, 16 hours on battery, 4 hours of screen time.

And I'm about to plug it in for the night in an hour or so.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here are three cycles I've had with my replacement N4. The 24-hour one was with all but a half-hour on wi-fi and note the screen on time. Signal strength barely drops below three bars most places I live/work around. Screen brightness manually set to 25%; usually leave wi-fi and BT on; don't have apps constantly polling servers. Other than Gmail pushing, most of the usual suspects are under control.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357289921047.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357289921047.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357289935165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357289935165.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357289944645.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357289944645.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 28

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My "normal" usage. Perfectly happy with this performance. The lack of WiFi is during work hours at which point I switch on the mobile Internet. Signal strength was all over the place so I'm sure it would perform better if I had a good constant signal. This also includes 6-7 hours of sleeping time. Also i put it on 2G signal to increase battery life as I only need the mobile internet for basic emailing and whatapp...which seems to work just fine on normal 2G speeds. Turned it to HSPA maybe 3-4 times for maximum of 10 minutes for larger emails and attachments.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357313474221.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357313474221.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357313528301.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357313528301.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357313561796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357313561796.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357313598173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357313598173.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 209

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here are three cycles I've had with my replacement N4. The 24-hour one was with all but a half-hour on wi-fi and note the screen on time. Signal strength barely drops below three bars most places I live/work around. Screen brightness manually set to 25%; usually leave wi-fi and BT on; don't have apps constantly polling servers. Other than Gmail pushing, most of the usual suspects are under control.
Looks good Dirk. So overall you are happy with the replacement? Looks like you solved the battery problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance