Nexus 4 as "media only" device

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Being a Verizon customer on an unlimited data plan, i'm so saddened to see that there's no CDMA variant of this phone. So my idea was, although not sure how realistic, was....

to buy a Nexus 4 off contract and use it as a media only device and just carry 2 phones. It'll help free up some precious space on my droid incredible 2. And since I have wifi at home and at work and voice calling doesn't exactly require the latest and greatest hardware, I would imagine that maps, apps, music, pictures, video, media, and networking over wifi would suffice on an unlocked $300 range device to make it all worth it.

Any draw backs to this idea that I haven't thought about yet? Any input or opinions would be helpful. Can you still use google voice? Whatsapp over wifi?

Christian Jacob

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
At first glance the biggest drawback I see is that you are limited to 16GB. Its an ok amount if you are just using it for pictures and music. Forget about trying to watching and storing videos on it unless you are streaming it which would be best of course on a good WiFi connection. I thought that this phone would work on Verizon just not with LTE?...correct me if I'm wrong.

kobradroid

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me like it would work just fine. I've contemplated turning my old evo into a "media" device, but without knowing too much about your situation it seems like an N7 would be a better choice-cheaper, more storage, and a bigger screen for media with decent portability.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
This Nexus 4 will not work on Verizon at all. But should do well as media device at work or home. But I agree with the above poster. Why not get a nexus 7 then? It is cheaper and have the same capabilities minus the phone. Screen size is great and not too big so it's still portable. I always thought if you had a smartphone that is fairly new it's kind of redundant to have a sole media device, like an iPod touch or nexus 4 as media only.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, if you're not going to use the Nexus 4 for a phone (in addition to other uses) or you're not going to use it for development, you're wasting your money in purchasing one. Pick up a Nexus 7 instead.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I do have a nexus 7 but i find that it's not portable enough to make it a daily traveler. Plus, there are some apps i use heavily like whatsapp that is not supported by tablets. Decisions decisions lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would want to use a 4 inch phone as a media device only, much less carry around 2 phones all the time. I'd say either leave Verizon or get a new phone that they have. I'm a 15+ year Verizon customer and consider leaving them my best decision of 2012. My Tmobile coverage has been great...even traveling from state to state over the holidays and my bill is $30 a month!

Adam Smith1

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my Nexus 4 on Tmobile since I got it in Asheville NC.

Went to visit my son in Chattanooga, service in between was poor, and consistently poor even within Chattanooga city limits.

I bought a Nexus 4 for my son as a gift, I was gushing about Tmobile, but after experiencing Tmobile service in Chattanooga, I ordered an Straight Talk ATT microsim for him. He already has a Straight talk account, with a smartphone that works on Sprint, and a basic phone that works on Verizon, he'll be able to switch among which phone is active at any time over the internet.

I was hoping to be able to save him $15 a month on Tmobile over Straight Talk, but my frustration level after one weekend made that a no go.

I don't know why anyone would want to use a 4 inch phone as a media device only, much less carry around 2 phones all the time. I'd say either leave Verizon or get a new phone that they have. I'm a 15+ year Verizon customer and consider leaving them my best decision of 2012. My Tmobile coverage has been great...even traveling from state to state over the holidays and my bill is $30 a month!

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Being a Verizon customer on an unlimited data plan, i'm so saddened to see that there's no CDMA variant of this phone. So my idea was, although not sure how realistic, was....

to buy a Nexus 4 off contract and use it as a media only device and just carry 2 phones. It'll help free up some precious space on my droid incredible 2. And since I have wifi at home and at work and voice calling doesn't exactly require the latest and greatest hardware, I would imagine that maps, apps, music, pictures, video, media, and networking over wifi would suffice on an unlocked $300 range device to make it all worth it.

Any draw backs to this idea that I haven't thought about yet? Any input or opinions would be helpful. Can you still use google voice? Whatsapp over wifi?

Im using it as a media device. Well tjats why i got the 16gb version. Everything works and to get rid of the annoying sim messgae turn airplane and then turn on wifi again. Reboot to get rid of the no sim in the lockscreen.
Ive filled 17000 songs on google play and it takes 200 mb to store all the pictures and info. Just a headsup

Sent from my Nexus 4

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting for on my nexus four, but in the mean time I bought a nexus 7. I its awesome. My current phone number is a thunderbolt. Just get a 7.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, nexus 7 is pretty sweet! I just don't see myself carrying this thing everywhere. Maybe if i was a lady with a big purse. As a guy with only jeans pockets, i need something more practical. And my dinc2 is becoming a dinosaur and is maxed out with apps and such. If i update subsidized, i lose unlimited data. But if i buy a verizon phone off contract, that's easily btwn $600-$800 for a phone, which is ridiculous. No cell phone is truly worth that much to me.

A nexus 4 unlocked from google on wifi as an added alternative to my verizon phone, but only for wifi media is slowly sounding like a good option.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Also... I find myself using my droid inc 2 over my nexus 7 at home for media, messaging, etc. I guess bigger isn't always better. Typing on a handset for me is also better on a phone than a tablet.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, nexus 7 is pretty sweet! I just don't see myself carrying this thing everywhere. Maybe if i was a lady with a big purse. As a guy with only jeans pockets, i need something more practical. And my dinc2 is becoming a dinosaur and is maxed out with apps and such. If i update subsidized, i lose unlimited data. But if i buy a verizon phone off contract, that's easily btwn $600-$800 for a phone, which is ridiculous. No cell phone is truly worth that much to me.

A nexus 4 unlocked from google on wifi as an added alternative to my verizon phone, but only for wifi media is slowly sounding like a good option.

If your Dinc 2 is maxed out get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus from Craigslist. Relatively cheap at $200-300 and you can keep unlimited data since your buying it outright

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting for on my nexus four, but in the mean time I bought a nexus 7. I its awesome. My current phone number is a thunderbolt. Just get a 7.

The thing is that the nexus 4 is so much smoother and stronger than the nexus 7, it makes it a lot better. The price of the nexus 7 is good for its price but im putting money for the 4. Plus its a lot more convenient and small

Sent from my Nexus 4

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my Nexus 4 on Tmobile since I got it in Asheville NC.

Went to visit my son in Chattanooga, service in between was poor, and consistently poor even within Chattanooga city limits.

I bought a Nexus 4 for my son as a gift, I was gushing about Tmobile, but after experiencing Tmobile service in Chattanooga, I ordered an Straight Talk ATT microsim for him. He already has a Straight talk account, with a smartphone that works on Sprint, and a basic phone that works on Verizon, he'll be able to switch among which phone is active at any time over the internet.

I was hoping to be able to save him $15 a month on Tmobile over Straight Talk, but my frustration level after one weekend made that a no go.

I'm in the same boat. On my 2nd month of TMobile prepaid $30 plan since receiving my Nexus but building penetration at work is leaving me without data connection for 8-10hrs/5 days a week. BIG deal breaker for me. If I can't use my phone for data for about 80% of a 7-day week, what's the point? Sure once I get in the parking lot I have data connection but still it's spotty. Heck even on I75 in Ohio last week for Christmas vacation I had NO signal.. C'mon man, that's ridiculous.. MAIN 6-lane highway in the US and no signal. F'em... Going to ST AT&T next month and yea, while my data speeds will be lower, at least I'll have signal everywhere I am. LOL

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear what youre saying, but the 7 is a performer. Ive been playing NFS Most Wanted and it is smoooooth, and quick load times for a game. To each his own though.

And on a happy note, I just got my shipping info from Google, My Nexus 4 will be here TOMORROW- YEAH!!!!

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
hey, I have zero complaints about the nexus 7. My only issue would be every day portability. Having 2 phones on your hip is a bit more realistic than sticking a tablet in your back pocket no matter how slick or thin it may be. But there's something to be said about moving around an operating system on a smaller screen. As I said once, I find myself using my 4" DINC 2 over my nexus 7 at home when I have the option to pick up either one. Typing on a smaller device is faster, with less mistakes, plus, it just feels a bit more personalized when its on a smaller screen.

Now... there's no doubt that for netflix and movies, a N7 is the better option. But for a guy like me who will be using the tablet from home, I have next to no reason to choose a 7" screen over my home 52" LCD. So with that said, I'm still left with wanting an "app" device that's extremely mobile........ like a Nexus 4 =)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hey, I have zero complaints about the nexus 7. My only issue would be every day portability. Having 2 phones on your hip is a bit more realistic than sticking a tablet in your back pocket no matter how slick or thin it may be. But there's something to be said about moving around an operating system on a smaller screen. As I said once, I find myself using my 4" DINC 2 over my nexus 7 at home when I have the option to pick up either one. Typing on a smaller device is faster, with less mistakes, plus, it just feels a bit more personalized when its on a smaller screen.

Now... there's no doubt that for netflix and movies, a N7 is the better option. But for a guy like me who will be using the tablet from home, I have next to no reason to choose a 7" screen over my home 52" LCD. So with that said, I'm still left with wanting an "app" device that's extremely mobile........ like a Nexus 4 =)

Cheapness off contract makesbitbworth it, so much better than the iood toich but the storsge is about bit bad but thats why u store music on cloud on google play

Sent from my Nexus 4

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 10.1 inch Samsung to Nexus 7 to Nexus 4 and love the Nexus 4. It is very powerful - the fastest tablet I have tried. I used it for awhile just as a Wi-Fi 4.7" tablet - no phone plan. Now I have Straight Talk but 95% of my use is for email, news and other data type apps - mostly off Wi-Fi. The 5% percent that I use the Nexus 4 for phone calls and texting I consider a bonus that I couldn't do with my other tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs