Nexus 4 as "media only" device

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 10.1 inch Samsung to Nexus 7 to Nexus 4 and love the Nexus 4. It is very powerful - the fastest tablet I have tried. I used it for awhile just as a Wi-Fi 4.7" tablet - no phone plan. Now I have Straight Talk but 95% of my use is for email, news and other data type apps - mostly off Wi-Fi. The 5% percent that I use the Nexus 4 for phone calls and texting I consider a bonus that I couldn't do with my other tablets.

Nexus 7 is the fastest tablet? Huh. Thought it wasn't that powerful but great for the price. or are you talking about the Nexus 4 (which is not a tablet) but anywaysssss
I use my Nexus 4 as a media device and without any service I can last the entire day with about 4 hours 15 minutes of screen time and this is with games and music and surfing.
GrooVe IP is a good phone app for the Nexus 4 if you want to make calls, uses ur google voice number

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 is the fastest tablet? Huh. Thought it wasn't that powerful but great for the price. or are you talking about the Nexus 4 (which is not a tablet) but anywaysssss
I use my Nexus 4 as a media device and without any service I can last the entire day with about 4 hours 15 minutes of screen time and this is with games and music and surfing.
GrooVe IP is a good phone app for the Nexus 4 if you want to make calls, uses ur google voice number

Tablets were my first exposure to Android and the Nexus 4 is my first Smartphone. So to me the Nexus 4 is like 4.7 inch Android tablet that has phone capability. And compared to the other tablets I have used the Nexus 4 is the best yet - if you can live with 16gb and the smaller screen.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tablets were my first exposure to Android and the Nexus 4 is my first Smartphone. So to me the Nexus 4 is like 4.7 inch Android tablet that has phone capability. And compared to the other tablets I have used the Nexus 4 is the best yet - if you can live with 16gb and the smaller screen.

Well it doesn't really matter what you feel, it is still a phone because it is located in that category for every single store and place. Also the Note 2 isn't even a tablet, they call it a phablet and it is still so much larger than the Nexus 4. The s3 is larger too and not even a phablet.
I came from the ipod 4 so the 4.7 inch display is ing insane for me. I go from a 3.7 (I thnk?) to a 4.7? damn..... plus I'm fine with 16GB of storage.

Why not just get a 32gb Samsung Galaxy Nexus off contract either through ebay or craigslist?

I don't get the whole carrying two devices.

I do it because smart phone plans are so expensive compared to the normal family mobile plan that I have right now. Plus everywhere I go has wifi almost and if it doesn't then i'll just have to be patient until there is.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
hey, I have zero complaints about the nexus 7. My only issue would be every day portability. Having 2 phones on your hip is a bit more realistic than sticking a tablet in your back pocket no matter how slick or thin it may be. But there's something to be said about moving around an operating system on a smaller screen. As I said once, I find myself using my 4" DINC 2 over my nexus 7 at home when I have the option to pick up either one. Typing on a smaller device is faster, with less mistakes, plus, it just feels a bit more personalized when its on a smaller screen.

Now... there's no doubt that for netflix and movies, a N7 is the better option. But for a guy like me who will be using the tablet from home, I have next to no reason to choose a 7" screen over my home 52" LCD. So with that said, I'm still left with wanting an "app" device that's extremely mobile........ like a Nexus 4 =)
You don't need an excuse for a Nexus 4. Just buy it. You know you want it. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
in all seriousness tho, I don't wanna make the mistake I did with the N7. And yes, it is without a doubt a nice device. I just find myself not using it like I thought I would. And as I said before, for being a home media tablet, I find myself preferring my home 52" LCD over a 7" device. And out on the road, I can't see myself pocketing this thing. So as nice as the N7 is, it's not something I been using frequently. I don't want to make new mistakes buying stuff I won't use, so I want to make sure a N4 is practical enough. Which I think it is because of the portability, the abundance of wifi (work/home), and the off contract price. My only problem is that I would never have a real need to connect it since I'm pretty much happy with Verizon and what I pay now for unlimited data. All together, my grandfathered bill comes out to $87 a month (taxes included) for one line with unlimited everything which is not too shabby for a premium carrier. Once I upgrade on contract, that # easily goes over $100.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
in all seriousness tho, I don't wanna make the mistake I did with the N7. And yes, it is without a doubt a nice device. I just find myself not using it like I thought I would. And as I said before, for being a home media tablet, I find myself preferring my home 52" LCD over a 7" device. And out on the road, I can't see myself pocketing this thing. So as nice as the N7 is, it's not something I been using frequently. I don't want to make new mistakes buying stuff I won't use, so I want to make sure a N4 is practical enough. Which I think it is because of the portability, the abundance of wifi (work/home), and the off contract price. My only problem is that I would never have a real need to connect it since I'm pretty much happy with Verizon and what I pay now for unlimited data. All together, my grandfathered bill comes out to $87 a month (taxes included) for one line with unlimited everything which is not too shabby for a premium carrier. Once I upgrade on contract, that # easily goes over $100.
Does that allow you to tether devices too? Because you could always do that with your old phone if needed.

But I don't know honestly how happy I would be dragging around 2 devices. You may be better off buying a Note 2 or waiting for the SGS4.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Does that allow you to tether devices too? Because you could always do that with your old phone if needed.

But I don't know honestly how happy I would be dragging around 2 devices. You may be better off buying a Note 2 or waiting for the SGS4.

I cant stand large devices. For me, my perfect phone is a 4" to 4.3" screen. I can't stand these large phones these days. But that is just personal preference and not about carrying ability. I'm sure a GS3 will fit in my pocket. I just prefer iphone size for my primary device. That's why I use a Droid Inc 2. For me that's about as perfect as you can get. Everything else these days in that size are always mid range as far as specs, camera, screen res, processor speed, etc. As for the N4, it would be a sacrifice to move up to a 4.7" screen, but then again, when its not your primary device, you accept a little compromise.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I cant stand large devices. For me, my perfect phone is a 4" to 4.3" screen. I can't stand these large phones these days. But that is just personal preference and not about carrying ability. I'm sure a GS3 will fit in my pocket. I just prefer iphone size for my primary device. That's why I use a Droid Inc 2. For me that's about as perfect as you can get. Everything else these days in that size are always mid range as far as specs, camera, screen res, processor speed, etc. As for the N4, it would be a sacrifice to move up to a 4.7" screen, but then again, when its not your primary device, you accept a little compromise.
The N4 is a perfect size IMO. I came from a SGS2 which I believe was 4.3 and with the thinner bezel I can't even tell the difference. I think you would like the size. It fits nicely in my pocket and is still pretty good for one handed use.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The N4 is a perfect size IMO. I came from a SGS2 which I believe was 4.3 and with the thinner bezel I can't even tell the difference. I think you would like the size. It fits nicely in my pocket and is still pretty good for one handed use.

Well this phone is pretty big. Much larger than the iPhone but smaller than any good other android phones on the market right now.
You'll get used to the large size of the nexus soon enough.i an

Sent from my Nexus 4