Unable to do a warranty exchange through google play

TechyMexican

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus 4 one eBay and I wanted to to a warranty exchange since it is doing the buzzing noise. They refused to do the exchange since It wasn't ordered under my account. Any one else have this issue?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you try calling LG as they suggested? I'm in the same boat and agree it's stupid especially since I had called Google Play while I was buying my Nexus 4 and they just asked for the IMEI and my Google account email and said warranty would be transferred.

You'd think Google Play could just track the IMEI of the phones they sold and use that to verify validity for warranty exchanges. Long story short Google Play us a lousy retailer and everyone knows it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Horaland H

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
despite this being a google branded phone, google play are only the retailer so only actually responsible for phones that they sold and is fair enough that they need proof that they sold the phone before they for the exchange. Ant retailer would do the same for any product, underpants, baked beans, 44inch LCD TV... LG are the manufacturer so ultimately responsible for the device. Google would just return your device to LG if they where being helpful.

This has been the same for all Nexus devices. My Nexus S was bought through Carphone Warehouse so went back to them for a warranty repair then to Samsung directly when CPW proved useless. Google had no interest in my Nexus S at all.

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I called to get a replacement phone on Monday. I bought it from the Play Store the minute it was available. They are sending me a replacement however the IMEI number on my phone is not the one they show as being shipped to me. I thought that was strange however they are shipping out a replacement. When it ships is the question!

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
hmmm. I'd call again and . Or wait until more come available then order a new one then return the other one. :eek:

So your recommending fraud. Good call. And when they check the device serial number of the returned unit against the original shipment, and see they don't match then what, claim stupidity.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
OP Google is refusing you an exchange because the Nexus 4 that you bought from eBay isn't associated to your Google account, that's if you even have one. I know it's messed up but those are googles terms. The only person that can get the device replaced is whoever bought it. This is a non transferable warranty. You need to be aware what you're getting into when you purchase a device through unofficial channels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
yes, but where are the terms and conditions of this policy? I would like to know where they are stated.

<Snip>
Defects

During the warranty period described in the Device Specific Addendum, if the Device is or becomes defective through no fault of your own, please contact Google Play Support. Subject to the Device warranty, Google, in its sole discretion, may offer a replacement Device or may refer you to the applicable manufacturer of the Device for warranty support. If Google chooses to provide you with a replacement Device, you agree that Google may exchange the defective Device with either a new or refurbished Device. If you do not return the defective Device within 21 days from the date the replacement Device is delivered to you, you authorize Google to charge your Google Wallet account for the replacement Device, not to exceed the amount paid for the original Device. Nothing in this section affects your legal rights.
<Snip>
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../en_ca/about/device-terms.html&token=TlaRM6VP

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy your broken phone.

Read more and post less. Giving out bad advice and recommending fraud are not what these forums are intended for.

Like what was said before, when you give back a defective device and the serial numbers don't match you'll get charged for it.....what a bonehead move. SMH

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
yes, but where are the terms and conditions of this policy? I would like to know where they are stated.

It's in all the literature included on pretty much everything you buy. Plus you can look up warranty policies online. Trust me Google has their bases covered in your case.
Just chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and next time avoid eBay and Craigslist if you want a warranty thats honored by the manufacturer or the company that sold it to you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary