Any way of using wifi to make phone calls?

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I know the Nexus 4 does not support UMA but wasn't sure if it was as simple as using an app to make it work or if the internals won't let it work regardless. I REALLY miss being able to use UMA when I would be in a dead zone.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I know the Nexus 4 does not support UMA but wasn't sure if it was as simple as using an app to make it work or if the internals won't let it work regardless. I REALLY miss being able to use UMA when I would be in a dead zone.

Sure, just do a search for VOIP apps, there ate plenty of options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can't but not using the phone number associated with your SIM card. If you have a Google voice number than just use Groove IP Lite.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Vonage app shows callers your actual phone number. VOIP calls to US and Canadian numbers are free. One limitation is that it won't receive calls using VOIP.

I've been using Groove IP to make and receive VOIP calls using my Google Voice number. It works but call quality varies quite a bit depending on your connection.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
whats better....vonage or groove ip?

If you're using a mobile data network (as opposed to WiFi), Vonage is king. It's also better over WiFi as well, but only marginally so.

Divya44

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
There are tons of VoIP apps out there, and their limitations are more or less uniform across the board (bad call quality due to the your connection, reliance on wifi etc). From the services I've used, I could probably recommend Google Voice, Viber and an app I'm currently using called Whistle Phone. Whistle has pretty good call quality, especially the HD version.

Hope this helps!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
A LOT of options:

Skype (costs $3/month to call mobiles/landlines)
GrooveIP (requires Google Voice, but it's free)
Viber
Vonage (3000 minutes free a month)
Sipdroid (requires either a SIP account or google voice, can be very difficult to get working)
Talkatone (requires google voice)
Rebtel
Linphone
Line2
CSipSimple (not simple to get set up)
Bobsled Calling

I've tried them all and found Vonage to be the most consistent quality, but others have really liked SipDroid and GrooveIP.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are tons of applications but the one that i like the best is grooveip. It uses the Google voice number that toy can get yourself and when you do get it, you can keep it forever and call People on it. I've noticed there is a bit of delay in calls but it isn't that huge

Sent from my Nexus 4

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the quality issues will have to do with the quality of your WiFi connection but I'm not just referring to your upload speeds. There (I don't know much about it myself) is something like packaging and skip that can cause noise and loss or corruption of information. I know because while I have pretty good (not great 3-7MB) upload speeds mostly consistently. My service has quite a bit of a problem with such things. There used to be a link at Speedtest.net that allowed you to test it but it is no longer there. That's how I found out about it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've only used Groove IP and Skype. I had pretty bad luck with Groove IP but Skype had been great but it costs money.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've only used Groove IP and Skype. I had pretty bad luck with Groove IP but Skype had been great but it costs money.

Posted via Android Central App

You should try Vonage, much better voice quality than Groove IP/Talkatone. And it use your real number. But to have incoming calls or text, the other person have to use Vonage as well, but it have some useful features like sending videos.