Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TheLibertarian
  • 1 Post By 6tr6tr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any way of using wifi to make phone calls?

I know the Nexus 4 does not support UMA but wasn't sure if it was as simple as using an app to make it work or if the internals won't let it work regardless. I REALLY miss being able to use UMA when I would be in a dead zone.

Default Re: Any way of using wifi to make phone calls?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzb0nd View Post
    I know the Nexus 4 does not support UMA but wasn't sure if it was as simple as using an app to make it work or if the internals won't let it work regardless. I REALLY miss being able to use UMA when I would be in a dead zone.
    Sure, just do a search for VOIP apps, there ate plenty of options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

You can't but not using the phone number associated with your SIM card. If you have a Google voice number than just use Groove IP Lite.

Skype ha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Try

Google Voice + GrooVe IP

Global Posts
    11,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

The Vonage app shows callers your actual phone number. VOIP calls to US and Canadian numbers are free. One limitation is that it won't receive calls using VOIP.

I've been using Groove IP to make and receive VOIP calls using my Google Voice number. It works but call quality varies quite a bit depending on your connection.

whats better....vonage or groove ip?

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
    whats better....vonage or groove ip?
    If you're using a mobile data network (as opposed to WiFi), Vonage is king. It's also better over WiFi as well, but only marginally so.

There are tons of VoIP apps out there, and their limitations are more or less uniform across the board (bad call quality due to the your connection, reliance on wifi etc). From the services I've used, I could probably recommend Google Voice, Viber and an app I'm currently using called Whistle Phone. Whistle has pretty good call quality, especially the HD version.

Hope this helps!

There is a place to enter SIP information for a voip serivce under the settings menu in the dialer.

A LOT of options:

Skype (costs $3/month to call mobiles/landlines)
    GrooveIP (requires Google Voice, but it's free)
    Viber
    Vonage (3000 minutes free a month)
    Sipdroid (requires either a SIP account or google voice, can be very difficult to get working)
    Talkatone (requires google voice)
    Rebtel
    Linphone
    Line2
    CSipSimple (not simple to get set up)
    Bobsled Calling

I've tried them all and found Vonage to be the most consistent quality, but others have really liked SipDroid and GrooveIP.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    A LOT of options:

Bobsled Calling
    I didn't know about SipDroid, thanks, I'll look into it. Bobsled, you forgot to mention, only works with Facebook Contacts and requires a Facebook account. Damn T-Mobile.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5

There are tons of applications but the one that i like the best is grooveip. It uses the Google voice number that toy can get yourself and when you do get it, you can keep it forever and call People on it. I've noticed there is a bit of delay in calls but it isn't that huge

Sent from my Nexus 4

A lot of the quality issues will have to do with the quality of your WiFi connection but I'm not just referring to your upload speeds. There (I don't know much about it myself) is something like packaging and skip that can cause noise and loss or corruption of information. I know because while I have pretty good (not great 3-7MB) upload speeds mostly consistently. My service has quite a bit of a problem with such things. There used to be a link at Speedtest.net that allowed you to test it but it is no longer there. That's how I found out about it.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

Try this app. It automatically detects if both phones have it installed, and then takes over regular calls in a transparent manner (you never need to start the app).

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I've only used Groove IP and Skype. I had pretty bad luck with Groove IP but Skype had been great but it costs money.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I've only used Groove IP and Skype. I had pretty bad luck with Groove IP but Skype had been great but it costs money.

Posted via Android Central App
    You should try Vonage, much better voice quality than Groove IP/Talkatone. And it use your real number. But to have incoming calls or text, the other person have to use Vonage as well, but it have some useful features like sending videos.