Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default These are horrible speeds, yes?

I just did the speed test. Turns out I have no data speed. This is in my house, WiFi turned off. At&t network, and I'm in an LTE area. This is why I should change the APN settings, yes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails These are horrible speeds, yes?-screenshot_2013-01-04-12-36-11.png  

Default Re: These are horrible speeds, yes?

I think testing on FCC app for speed is not a good idea. try this and post the screenshot and then we can decide.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.speedtest

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

use wi-fi

If your speeds remain low, try setting the proxy to a blank value in your APN settings.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Terrible speeds, yes, but also being in an LTE area is meaningless as the Nexus 4 is not an LTE-capable device.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieJimbo View Post
    I just did the speed test. Turns out I have no data speed. This is in my house, WiFi turned off. At&t network, and I'm in an LTE area. This is why I should change the APN settings, yes?

You need to set up the correct APN settings for AT&T network or you will get slow data speeds. You also need to make sure they put you on the right data plan for 4G phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Flipflapping screenshot isn't cooperating. I used the Spedtest.net app, and here's what I've got:
    ping: 1178ms
    Upload: 787kbps
    Download: 7kbps
    I used my abacus to add this all up, and it equals super slow.
    The plan we have is provisioned for 4g phones. My husband (who is awesome but not a phone wiz) suggested I call AT&T and ask them to provision it for LTE. But isn't that what I'd be doing myself with the APN settings other people have shared?

That thing might be doing something wrong, i've heard there are some applications and things that aren't set for the Nexus 4 yet but work on other devices. Try speedtest.net app like everyone else said, i've gotten solid scores on there but they still arent as accurate as the actual i think (compared to my computer)

Flipflapping screenshot isn't cooperating. I used the Spedtest.net app, and here's what I've got:
    The plan we have is provisioned for 4g phones. My husband (who is awesome but not a phone wiz) suggested I call AT&T and ask them to provision it for LTE. But isn't that what I'd be doing myself with the APN settings other people have shared?
    Use these APN settings

APN: phone
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

The LTE band (4) the Nexus uses doesn't work in the US, it is HSPA+ that you need to be asking about, which is either 3G or 4G depending in who you ask or where you are. In AT&T it seems normal should be around 5-12 MB down. Try this APN with speeds test app and report back.

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I live in Phoenix, which is an LTE area, so while the Nexus 4 isn't itself an LTE phone, here is some hope!

so you haven't called ATT yet? they will ask your imei id to do something so that everything will work fine.

I did it when i switched to N4

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

If your data plan is the correct one to include HSPA+ speed, try setting your APN to the following settings: This is working great for me.

APN: phone
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Ok, I plugged in the settings you provided (thank you!) and here's what I got:
    ping: 352 ms
    download: network communication errors, try again. Crappit.
    upload:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, we're off to see The Hobbit. When I get back I'm going to read every post in the other threads about AT&T and this phone, and get everything straightened.
    You guys are so generous with your time and help, and I really appreciate it!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Ok, I plugged in the settings you provided (thank you!) and here's what I got:
    ping: 352 ms
    download: network communication errors, try again. Crappit.
    upload:

- - - Updated - - -
    Did you reboot the phone after changing the APN?

And make sure you start as a new APN instead of modifying your current one. Leave all other options blank.

Thanked by:

Default These are horrible speeds, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I think testing on FCC app for speed is not a good idea. try this and post the screenshot and then we can decide.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.speedtest
    Why wouldn't it be a good idea there is nothing wrong with the app see my results. These are horrible speeds, yes?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357338355.380885.jpgThese are horrible speeds, yes?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357338365.448202.jpg

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)