This prompt made me furious

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
OK I'm sure its got a simple answer but during a lengthy conversation via text this kept popping up...(often

"messaging is sending a large number of messages: Do you want to allow this app to continue sending messages?" Allow/Deny

I couldn't find an obvious kill switch for it in the settings, and changing the ?messages allowed per conversation" did not seem to have an impact. It was increasingly annoying tho, so if anyone can help Id appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
its a feature google build in to jelly bean. this was implemented because few rouge(or virus) apps send 100's of message from the phone without the user knowing it.
they included this check to make sure these apps don't abuse the messaging. unfortunately it cannot be disabled at this time.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I just got it and find annoying as hell. I rely on sending mass texts to clients.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358028830616.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358028830616.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 260

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You can send 100 per hour, per app before this is called. It's hard-coded into the source, but if you're rooted it's fairly easy to fix.

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

sqlite> INSERT INTO gservices (name, value) VALUES
('sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms', 0);

will shut it off, but you do need to be root and have the sqlite3 binary in your path.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
You can send 100 per hour, per app before this is called. It's hard-coded into the source, but if you're rooted it's fairly easy to fix.

Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

sqlite> INSERT INTO gservices (name, value) VALUES
('sms_outgoing_check_interval_ms', 0);

will shut it off, but you do need to be root and have the sqlite3 binary in your path.

I have no idea what you just said, but thank you for the response and the specificity lol.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea what you just said, but thank you for the response and the specificity lol.

Jerry said basically that if your phone is as is, you can send 100 texts per hour before that warning is triggered. One text is one message sent to one recipient. So if you send a group msg to 15 people, that counts as 15 texts.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've seen other threads on other sites complaining about this too and there is no way to disable it on a stock device. I think it's an excellent idea on Google's part to put this in, but they do need to let you adjust the threshold or outright disable it in settings if you wish.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've seen other threads on other sites complaining about this too and there is no way to disable it on a stock device. I think it's an excellent idea on Google's part to put this in, but they do need to let you adjust the threshold or outright disable it in settings if you wish.

Yes. I understand and empathize with the rationale behind it, but even a little user adjustment ability/control would be nice. The threshold seems inordinately low to me in a text heavy world such as ours?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I just thought. That's more than a text per minute, almost 2 per minute as a matter of fact.

But if you are group testing to 20 people it's only 5 texts an hour.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Bingo.

I am often doing group texts due to work, though in smaller numbers than 20. The limit is not that hard to hit. And once you've bumped up against it, *any other* texts you send (even if u start a new conversation) will also still trigger the warning.

Under normal circumstances (ie, one on one texting) its harder to hit the limit. But I've done it a few times there too. Mea culpa. I text a lot lol.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
True, but since the goal is to prevent spam, it is also true that the more people in a group message, the more likely a message is to be spam. If the texting is for work purposes, I'd suggest using an app that works over data and sports group messaging to avoid this issue.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
True, but since the goal is to prevent spam, it is also true that the more people in a group message, the more likely a message is to be spam. If the texting is for work purposes, I'd suggest using an app that works over data and sports group messaging to avoid this issue.

that's a good idea. Go sms pro has a data option built in. Or what's app.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Of course people still use SMS, geez. Time to get out of your little online bubble world, the vast majority of people don't use special programs, they just text each other.
Texts are universal, don't require special permissions or programs to be installed, and don't require the receiver to do anything but have a phone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Of course people still use SMS, geez. Time to get out of your little online bubble world, the vast majority of people don't use special programs, they just text each other.
Texts are universal, don't require special permissions or programs to be installed, and don't require the receiver to do anything but have a phone.

Oh I'm so confused I thought sms was texting. Even my cell phone bill calls it sms and mms.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
most people I know just text. A few use BBM and what's app, but most just text now with all the unlimited packages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463