Cannot receive MMS with T-Mobile prepaid. Help!

mrplayer66

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys today I switched from AT&T straight talk to T-mobile's monthly 4G $30 plan I'm using the default APN settings and I've done some research and can't find the right answer to my problem. I can send MMS, my mobile data works just fine but for some reason I can't receive pictures, any help would be appreciated.

Name: T-Mobile
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms
Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just switched to T-Mobile and I get MMS just fine, although occasionally I get an error saying I don't have enough money in my account, but then it comes through anyway. Anyhoo, my APN settings look very similar, however, I do not have an "MMS Protocol" even listed. Also, after the "APN Type" entry, I have the following:

APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable ("greyed" out and a check mark in the box)
Bearer: Unspecified

mrplayer66

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response, my bad I also do not have a "mms protocol" I got that from the t--mobile website, the other settings you mentioned also match what I have.
I just switched to T-Mobile and I get MMS just fine, although occasionally I get an error saying I don't have enough money in my account, but then it comes through anyway. Anyhoo, my APN settings look very similar, however, I do not have an "MMS Protocol" even listed. Also, after the "APN Type" entry, I have the following:

APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable ("greyed" out and a check mark in the box)
Bearer: Unspecified

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not much help, but I thought it good to let you know I have the Galaxy Nexus on the same plan and have not had any trouble doing the same. My settings are exactly the same as yours.

By any chance is the person sending you the picture using an iphone to do so?

mrplayer66

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had a person with an iphone and with a metro pcs phone try to send me pictures.
I know it's not much help, but I thought it good to let you know I have the Galaxy Nexus on the same plan and have not had any trouble doing the same. My settings are exactly the same as yours.

By any chance is the person sending you the picture using an iphone to do so?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Having same issue due to being on the TMo $30 prepaid plan. Now a week after my port from ST AT&T and cannot receive ANY picture or group MMS. I can send outbound fine, just nothing inbound.
F-ing sucks :(

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm on that plan, and MMS works fine. If someone can tell me where to find those settings in my phone, I'll post them here for you to try.

Go to Settings->More->Mobile networks->Access Point Names. Then you should see your 'T-Mobile US' APN or whatever you named it. I'm almost 100% certain that the APN settings aren't affecting my ability to receive MMS. I've tried like 20 different ways/settings/2 APN's/etc.

But wouldn't hurt to post'em up :) Maybe there's still something I've missed!

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Try sending yourself an MMS. Sounds crazy, but I've heard people with other phones on other networks fix the problem that way. Worth a shot.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Try sending yourself an MMS. Sounds crazy, but I've heard people with other phones on other networks fix the problem that way. Worth a shot.

I can send myself, or anyone, an MMS picture. It's the receiving part that doesn't work. But of course I can send it to myself, I guess because it's just me?! But anyone else sending me a picture, I just never get anything. Always says "delivered" on everyone's phone that sends me one, but I just get nuthin :(

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Other people have said that sending themselves an MMS somehow convinces the system that they're supposed to be able to receive them, too. Whatever the reason, it's worked in other cases, so I thought it would be worth a shot here, too.

I can suggest some other possible solutions, but it's probably going to be easier and faster for you to call TMO and ask them to resolve it. After all, you're paying for a service that you can't fully use, so they need to fix that.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Sure, no problem, appreciate the help!

Yea, I called them last night and of course all the standard drill, lets look at your APN, reboot, etc etc. She said she had to put another helpdesk support ticket in and they are supposed to call me within 72hrs.. so first 24hrs is up..lol..

And here's the real kicker. My wife, who just ported over about 3 weeks ago to TMobile prepaid $60 plan with her iPhone CAN send me a pic!?!?! LOL.. but not a single other person?! Crazy!

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
And here's the real kicker. My wife, who just ported over about 3 weeks ago to TMobile prepaid $60 plan with her iPhone CAN send me a pic!?!?! LOL.. but not a single other person?!

Did she port from ST AT&T, too? I think TMO didn't provision your account correctly. They need to poke around under their hood.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Gone, nope never have had wifi on yet. But I've read that having wifi on doesn't allow MMS... but good tip!

CoMo, yea as a matter of fact she did. She ported from ST AT&T with her iPhone 5 about 2 weeks before me. She's a talker, not a data user much, so I couldn't put her on the $30 100/min plan..LOL.. so she went with the $60 prepaid unlimited min/2GB data.
I'm starting to think that CoMo. See, I know you can only sign up for the $30 prepaid 100min/5GB plan either online or at a Walmart store. I did neither. I went to a TMobile retail store, same place we ported my wife, and since I now kinda knew the guy, he said he could just do it from the store. I asked him are you SURE, because it's only sign up online or Walmart. He replied, "don't worry, I'll just do it online for you".

So, who knows what "things" got put onto the account/or left off, as you said. It's going on day 2 of the 72hr window TMo tech support is supposed to call me back. I'll give it till this Friday, then call them back and really grill them on what is on/off my prepaid account.

Grrr, sooo frustrating! :)

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Other people have said that sending themselves an MMS somehow convinces the system that they're supposed to be able to receive them, too. Whatever the reason, it's worked in other cases, so I thought it would be worth a shot here, too.

I can suggest some other possible solutions, but it's probably going to be easier and faster for you to call TMO and ask them to resolve it. After all, you're paying for a service that you can't fully use, so they need to fix that.

I'm on the same TMO $30 plan and was having the same exact problem you describe. Somehow this sending myself a picture actually resolved my issues! Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1