Apex or nova? Possibly other launchers?

GB_Meneses

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Which is a better launchers for the N4? Apex or Nova? I already have the full paid version of Apex but wanted to know if Nova was worth another 4 bucks. Or maybe other launchers anyone might like on the N4?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
ADW.EX launcher. I had adw for a long time with no updates so I went to go launcher. In the last few months adw.ex has made a huge update once again becoming my favorite launcher to use

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Dont have a Nexus 4 but if Nova Launcher is like it on my other devices you will be thrilled. Super fast and smooth. Icon packs can be downloaded to customize the look. The new update to nova gives you many more options like icon size changes.

How this helps!
Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Dont have a Nexus 4 but if Nova Launcher is like it on my other devices you will be thrilled. Super fast and smooth. Icon packs can be downloaded to customize the look. The new update to nova gives you many more options like icon size changes.

How this helps!
Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Apex does all of that also. And it's been super-smooth on my GSII with the 4.1.2 rom (SuperNexus). Is there anything that Nova does that Apex doesn't?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally I choose Nova Prime but only because it's the sole Launcher I've found that supports GLOBAL Badge Notification (SMS, GMail, Calls aren't enough). Here's how--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709
If not for that feature, it'd be a toss-up between Nova & Apex.

Also works independently if you use WidgetLocker as your Lockscreen & want a different Launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a beginners guide for using Nova Launcher somewhere? I can't figure out how to create folders. I downloaded the free version, and maybe that's the problem. Is that only available with the paid version? I just can't figure out how to do some of the customizations that others have done.

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there a beginners guide for using Nova Launcher somewhere? I can't figure out how to create folders. I downloaded the free version, and maybe that's the problem. Is that only available with the paid version? I just can't figure out how to do some of the customizations that others have done.
If it's anything like Apex (and from what I've been reading it's exactly like Apex) all you do is drop one app icon onto the other app icon and this should automatically create a folder with those two apps inside.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like Apex (and from what I've been reading it's exactly like Apex) all you do is drop one app icon onto the other app icon and this should automatically create a folder with those two apps inside.

Thanks! That worked. Should have known it was something that simple.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Nova. Apex is okay but not as flexible as Nova. And I think it sucks more battery. GO is a memory hog. Haven't tried ADW.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
you can do that with the stock launcher.

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Nova. Apex is okay but not as flexible as Nova. And I think it sucks more battery. GO is a memory hog. Haven't tried ADW.

Can you elaborate on the flexibility?

Also, I've been using Apex for several months and have never seen it in the battery users status report. What's your evidence of its higher battery consumption?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you elaborate on the flexibility?

Also, I've been using Apex for several months and have never seen it in the battery users status report. What's your evidence of its higher battery consumption?
I can't guarantee that it sucks more battery but I just noticed that it got better after I uninstalled it. Could be totally unrelated. Both launchers are good but, there are a couple of things I like better about Nova.

1. You can multi select icons when adding to your screens.

2. You can have multiple backups.

There is another thread where these things were discussed in more detail. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=239966

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
1. You can multi select icons when adding to your screens.
Interesting. How does that work in practice?

Edit: from reading the other thread you linked looks like the two significant differences between Apex and Nova are the multi-select for icons and more than one backup (just one backup for Apex). Also looks like the ADW is more feature rich than both when it comes to actual customization options.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. How does that work in practice?
Well if I am adding all my icons for games to one screen. I have the option to choose multi select from within the app list. This way I can just scroll through all my apps and select the ones I want. They are all added in one go rather than having to do them one at a time.