Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3 + HTC Sense 3.6

Default Re: Battery Life that bad?

Yes very bad battery..but i never had a problem..because i am mesmerized by its transition effects!!..so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mazariegos View Post
    8 Hours screen on time. Wow.Yup for me it was so bad that had to return the fone and get my 400 dollars back. Currently using the Note 2 with amazing battery life. (8 hrs screen on time)
    Yeah... 8 hours screen time is pretty bull. Especially with the large screen and lte

Sent from my Nexus 4

I had some weird battery issues until I followed some advice on some of the threads on here: open all the Gapps at least one time, disable any unnecessary auto updates, disable any apps capable of waking the phone from deep sleep and now I get almost zero drain when in standby and decent sceen time.

Before, I had a weird episode where the battery would drain to zero overnight in standby deep sleep. Something was obviously waking it up constantly. I also had some weird one time episode where the battery would not charge past 70% or so with it running and the battery drained with what I thought was it being completely shut down. Not sure what caused those, but they haven't resurfaced.

I've been averaging about 6 hours. But that's because I'm constantly on my phone and also playing games.
    However it does worry me because my phone dies a lot while locked and not being used...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    I've been averaging about 6 hours. But that's because I'm constantly on my phone and also playing games.
    However it does worry me because my phone dies a lot while locked and not being used...

That means you have something running and waking your phone from it's deep sleep. There are some games that continue to run in the background and try to access data - try a force close on them for a test.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I had some weird battery issues until I followed some advice on some of the threads on here: open all the Gapps at least one time, disable any unnecessary auto updates, disable any apps capable of waking the phone from deep sleep and now I get almost zero drain when in standby and decent sceen time.
    Could you please be more specific as to what we should look for because I've got most things turned off for syncing unless on wifi or charging. Other than Gmail, which is sent for instant notification, I barely have anything set to sync more often than every few hours, if that, and as you can see, the life I'm getting is declining with use.

I don't see what's running amok or wakelocking, so I'm getting really frustrated. I cleared the average time thing, so whatever drugs GSam is taking to believe I'm getting 21 hours is what I need for my next party. Yeesh. This is with having 2-4 bars 90% of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1357777694533.jpg  
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

The most I have ever gotten from my battery is 10hrs with 2.5 screen on time. I even tried deep sleep app that shut of data when it was asleep. That was with sync off, GPS off, screen min, Bluetooth off...I think it's a defective phone. Calling tomorrow for a replacement.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is my replacement phone. The screen is better, the phone microphone isn't defective, but the battery life is the same, perhaps worse. I'm getting about the same life as my GS2, but that was starving due to Trudge's crap dial-up network. I'm on ST AT&T and it's so much better, but it's not translating to better life.

When I've tried to sort out battery eaters before, it's usually a matter of looking for wakelocks and turning off things that sync all the time, but this is weird. Because we all use different mixes of apps and have different usage patterns it's hard to tell whether there's a problem with the batteries, the apps, widgets or whatnot.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by maisam View Post
    Hi, i heard that the battery life on the nexus 4 is very bad.
    Can someone tell me how bad the battery life is compared to the samsung galaxy s3.
    What is very bad? Battery life is equal to our greater than my galaxy nexus.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

My battery life is good. Jellybean clocks down the processor to save battery. Its a big improvement over ICS. Watch the apps you put on the phone. I put Dolphin browser and my battery life wasn't good. I checked the usage and found the app was one of the biggest battery hogs even when I wasn't using it. I uninstalled it and battery life went back to where it was before the installation. Some of these apps really kill your battery.

As I've just posted in another thread...

"I'm consistently getting 2 days battery life, with between 3-4 hours of screen time. I'm running on stock, but have made some tweaks in order to conserve battery life. I realise that 'Google Now' is a battery hog, but I'm absolutely not disabling that as it's one of the reasons I switched over to Android from iOS!

Granted, I'm not using the phone constantly, just letting it slip into my daily routine, but I'm happy with it. I considered Juice Defender, but have read many reports that it is a battery hog in itself. My advice is to try and tweak the settings on your phone before turning to something like Juice Defender. When I first got the phone, I noticed that there were plenty of services enabled (sync, cell broadcasts, Etc) that I was just not using, so why leave them on just to drain the battery? I can't speak for everybody, but disabling battery draining services / functions of the phone that I was just not using, seems to have made a difference for me."

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post

Before, I had a weird episode where the battery would drain to zero overnight in standby deep sleep. Something was obviously waking it up constantly. I also had some weird one time episode where the battery would not charge past 70% or so with it running and the battery drained with what I thought was it being completely shut down. Not sure what caused those, but they haven't resurfaced.
    What apps wake the phone from a deep sleep? Or how do I figure how what apps do that?

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Dig this madness. This happened once with the original phone, but this is the first time with the replacement in the 3 weeks I've used it. I haven't made a single call, so why has this been held awake for three hours?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1357840535687.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    What apps wake the phone from a deep sleep? Or how do I figure how what apps do that?

In my case, an app called "automate it" had a setting to wake up to check location based on the time interval set. I disabled that. My kids also play all sorts of games that require time building in the background. I force close those apps now when they are done playing with my phone! Those apps also had a bunch of notification stuff that I disabled.

As far as reading other threads on here, I tried starting all the GApps and logging in to them to get them set. Someone said they run in some sort of discovery mode process until you try them at least once - not sure on the results of that since I did everything I mentioned above all at once, lol.

In the end, I now have great battery life when in sleep mode whereas before the phone would almost eat up a full battery overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Could you please be more specific as to what we should look for because I've got most things turned off for syncing unless on wifi or charging. Other than Gmail, which is sent for instant notification, I barely have anything set to sync more often than every few hours, if that, and as you can see, the life I'm getting is declining with use.

I don't see what's running amok or wakelocking, so I'm getting really frustrated. I cleared the average time thing, so whatever drugs GSam is taking to believe I'm getting 21 hours is what I need for my next party. Yeesh. This is with having 2-4 bars 90% of the time.
    I don't disable any of my sync stuff. I just disable data and wifi when I put it to sleep for long periods of time with an easy toggle app. I do leave GPS on though - doesn't seem to do anything when in deep sleep.

If I were you, I would do some testing with recent 3rd party apps you open since a reboot and force close them. IF it still happens with a reboot, then you have something that wakes it by default and you;ll have to explore some settings. As far as native apps, I have heard that the GApps might do some weird stuff until you actually use them for the first time.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

How about this guys, doesnt this seem a bit excessive? This is after about 4 battery cycles and I havent been using the phone heavily this morning at all- 43 minutes of screen time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-screenshot_2013-01-10-10-08-52.png  

I didn't last past 4pm from a 6am start, not impressed......

eh, it isn't impressive but it lasts the day with moderate use.

Not bad at all honestly, I'm a pretty heavy user, get about 16 to 20 hours a charge, overall between this phone, and my former Vivid, Captivate, and ancient windows mobile Motorola mpx220, best battery life of any smartphone I've used.

Definitely first I can make it through the day without recharging

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

when I read posts claiming 16-20h of heavy use it makes me think if there are google / lg employees on this forum doing some marketing.

As much as I love my nexus I have to say that the battery life in nexus 4 is terrible. full stop.
    Nexus 4 will last about 3-4h of screen on time (on automatic which is quite dim). On full brightness it would probably last 1.5h.
    if I don't charge my phone at midday it's dead by the time I leave work at 5pm. My morning commute use 1h internet, 5 min calls, 10 emails, 2 txt msgs, automatic brightness, sync to minimum (just gmail)
    I tested battery life with everything switched off (aeroplane mode, wifi off, sync off - I was abroad) and brightness to minimum (barely visible) and the battery was going down about 15% per hour. terrible.

In my experience, the battery life on the 4 I had was terrible when not connected to Wifi. Without even using the phone, the battery life would drop around 40% not even using the phone in a span of 4 hours. Unacceptable to me, sold the phone and went back to my iPhone 5.

Took a few weeks but battery life is good to me now

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1360183581193.jpg  

Notice the 22 hours. All sync on except g+. Automatic photo upload is on though. GPS always on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1360183653992.jpg   Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1360183673508.jpg  

i've only had my nexus 4 for a full day and have played with it quite a bit, but I've noticed the battery bleeds terribly. I'm not too concerned with it. Takes time for the battery and the phone to find balance.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Can someone help look at mine? I've had decent battery life since the n4 launch but lately it's been getting worse.

I didn't use maps at all today. Is it Google now? Screen time was only 27 min

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life that bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1360191534667.jpg  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast