Battery Life that bad?

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Having made the switch from Samsung Galaxy S3 to the Nexus 4, I get about the same battery life or better. A lot depends on how you use the phone, me thinks. I get an average of 8 to 9hr a day, but then I have a lot of stuff syncing in the background.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It says your average battery life is 16 hours though. I don't see the problem of averaging around 16hrs of battery life.
I have no idea where it's imagining that number from, but I wouldn't be whining in post after post about how I'm only getting 8-10 hours of life if I was getting 16 hours. (I've had contact with Gary of GSam, so I think I'll ask him about it.)

Here's my current status, draining 10% per hour with a whole 75 minutes of screen time. This is getting ludicrous.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
No problems with battery life here.
View attachment 56182
View attachment 56183
This was with juice defender, and an auto app killer set to kill apps every time the screen is turned off. That's 7:30am-10:30pm. If you can't find a charger in that time frame your too busy Haha. You probably also heard the glass is fragile but today I accidentally stepped on my charging cable and my phone was hurled to the ground and landed right on the corner not a scratch.
Sent from my Nexus 4

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine is actually superb. 14 hours on a full charge with moderate to heavy use. More if I actually try to conserve it. My Verizon GNex with the 2100 mah battery got around 8.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had some weird battery issues until I followed some advice on some of the threads on here: open all the Gapps at least one time, disable any unnecessary auto updates, disable any apps capable of waking the phone from deep sleep and now I get almost zero drain when in standby and decent sceen time.

Before, I had a weird episode where the battery would drain to zero overnight in standby deep sleep. Something was obviously waking it up constantly. I also had some weird one time episode where the battery would not charge past 70% or so with it running and the battery drained with what I thought was it being completely shut down. Not sure what caused those, but they haven't resurfaced.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been averaging about 6 hours. But that's because I'm constantly on my phone and also playing games.
However it does worry me because my phone dies a lot while locked and not being used...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been averaging about 6 hours. But that's because I'm constantly on my phone and also playing games.
However it does worry me because my phone dies a lot while locked and not being used...

That means you have something running and waking your phone from it's deep sleep. There are some games that continue to run in the background and try to access data - try a force close on them for a test.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had some weird battery issues until I followed some advice on some of the threads on here: open all the Gapps at least one time, disable any unnecessary auto updates, disable any apps capable of waking the phone from deep sleep and now I get almost zero drain when in standby and decent sceen time.
Could you please be more specific as to what we should look for because I've got most things turned off for syncing unless on wifi or charging. Other than Gmail, which is sent for instant notification, I barely have anything set to sync more often than every few hours, if that, and as you can see, the life I'm getting is declining with use.

I don't see what's running amok or wakelocking, so I'm getting really frustrated. I cleared the average time thing, so whatever drugs GSam is taking to believe I'm getting 21 hours is what I need for my next party. Yeesh. This is with having 2-4 bars 90% of the time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357777694533.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357777694533.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 45

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The most I have ever gotten from my battery is 10hrs with 2.5 screen on time. I even tried deep sleep app that shut of data when it was asleep. That was with sync off, GPS off, screen min, Bluetooth off...I think it's a defective phone. Calling tomorrow for a replacement.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my replacement phone. The screen is better, the phone microphone isn't defective, but the battery life is the same, perhaps worse. I'm getting about the same life as my GS2, but that was starving due to Trudge's crap dial-up network. I'm on ST AT&T and it's so much better, but it's not translating to better life.

When I've tried to sort out battery eaters before, it's usually a matter of looking for wakelocks and turning off things that sync all the time, but this is weird. Because we all use different mixes of apps and have different usage patterns it's hard to tell whether there's a problem with the batteries, the apps, widgets or whatnot.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i heard that the battery life on the nexus 4 is very bad.
Can someone tell me how bad the battery life is compared to the samsung galaxy s3.

What is very bad? Battery life is equal to our greater than my galaxy nexus.

skibum677

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is good. Jellybean clocks down the processor to save battery. Its a big improvement over ICS. Watch the apps you put on the phone. I put Dolphin browser and my battery life wasn't good. I checked the usage and found the app was one of the biggest battery hogs even when I wasn't using it. I uninstalled it and battery life went back to where it was before the installation. Some of these apps really kill your battery.

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
As I've just posted in another thread...

"I'm consistently getting 2 days battery life, with between 3-4 hours of screen time. I'm running on stock, but have made some tweaks in order to conserve battery life. I realise that 'Google Now' is a battery hog, but I'm absolutely not disabling that as it's one of the reasons I switched over to Android from iOS!

Granted, I'm not using the phone constantly, just letting it slip into my daily routine, but I'm happy with it. I considered Juice Defender, but have read many reports that it is a battery hog in itself. My advice is to try and tweak the settings on your phone before turning to something like Juice Defender. When I first got the phone, I noticed that there were plenty of services enabled (sync, cell broadcasts, Etc) that I was just not using, so why leave them on just to drain the battery? I can't speak for everybody, but disabling battery draining services / functions of the phone that I was just not using, seems to have made a difference for me."

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Before, I had a weird episode where the battery would drain to zero overnight in standby deep sleep. Something was obviously waking it up constantly. I also had some weird one time episode where the battery would not charge past 70% or so with it running and the battery drained with what I thought was it being completely shut down. Not sure what caused those, but they haven't resurfaced.

What apps wake the phone from a deep sleep? Or how do I figure how what apps do that?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dig this madness. This happened once with the original phone, but this is the first time with the replacement in the 3 weeks I've used it. I haven't made a single call, so why has this been held awake for three hours?!?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357840535687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357840535687.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 25

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What apps wake the phone from a deep sleep? Or how do I figure how what apps do that?

In my case, an app called "automate it" had a setting to wake up to check location based on the time interval set. I disabled that. My kids also play all sorts of games that require time building in the background. I force close those apps now when they are done playing with my phone! Those apps also had a bunch of notification stuff that I disabled.

As far as reading other threads on here, I tried starting all the GApps and logging in to them to get them set. Someone said they run in some sort of discovery mode process until you try them at least once - not sure on the results of that since I did everything I mentioned above all at once, lol.

In the end, I now have great battery life when in sleep mode whereas before the phone would almost eat up a full battery overnight.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Could you please be more specific as to what we should look for because I've got most things turned off for syncing unless on wifi or charging. Other than Gmail, which is sent for instant notification, I barely have anything set to sync more often than every few hours, if that, and as you can see, the life I'm getting is declining with use.

I don't see what's running amok or wakelocking, so I'm getting really frustrated. I cleared the average time thing, so whatever drugs GSam is taking to believe I'm getting 21 hours is what I need for my next party. Yeesh. This is with having 2-4 bars 90% of the time.

I don't disable any of my sync stuff. I just disable data and wifi when I put it to sleep for long periods of time with an easy toggle app. I do leave GPS on though - doesn't seem to do anything when in deep sleep.

If I were you, I would do some testing with recent 3rd party apps you open since a reboot and force close them. IF it still happens with a reboot, then you have something that wakes it by default and you;ll have to explore some settings. As far as native apps, I have heard that the GApps might do some weird stuff until you actually use them for the first time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12