How to get Google Voice to work on the Nexus 4?

anon1020562

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the hardest time getting Google Voice to work on my Nexus 4. Specifically, I can't change the voicemail service from "My carrier" to "Google Voice"; whenever I do, it says it "Couldn't change the forwarding number."

If anyone could help I'd be so grateful. I'm on T-Mobile Monthly 4G.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to change it in the Settings... But because Tmobile prepaid doesn't offer conditional call forwarding you will have to use your Google Voice number as your regular number, not your tmobile one.

Set up Voice on the web to forward all calls made to your GVoice number over to your tmobile number, then you only give people your Gvoice number. Then you have to call Tmobile and tell the representative (politely) that you want to deactivate voicemail on your account. They may ask you to confirm a few times, just get that done. Then Gvoice can successfully pick up your voicemails after the set number of rings.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the hardest time getting Google Voice to work on my Nexus 4. Specifically, I can't change the voicemail service from "My carrier" to "Google Voice"; whenever I do, it says it "Couldn't change the forwarding number."

If anyone could help I'd be so grateful. I'm on T-Mobile Monthly 4G.

T-Mobile Monthly prepaid 4G isn't completely compatible with G Voice, because of this issue. Its something to do with being unable to disable the T-Mobile voice mail. Their normal plans work, however.

Sent from my Nexus 4

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile Monthly prepaid 4G isn't completely compatible with G Voice, because of this issue. Its something to do with being unable to disable the T-Mobile voice mail. Their normal plans work, however.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yeah, it takes the "workaround" I described above. For more complete info, check this excellent guide: [GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

I'm using GVoice for everything on Tmobile prepaid myself, and that guide helped me get everything going the way I wanted. I can vouch that it works perfectly :)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile prepaid plans do not provide the ability to do conditional call forwarding. You can however call them and have them disable T-Mobile voicemail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon1020562

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! Yeah, I only plan on giving out my Google Voice number anyway, so I guess conditional call forwarding is useless. Thanks for all the information.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 4

I can confirm this. Setup was very simple from my Nexus 4 on an Unlimited plan. (Not Pre-Paid)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad