Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Manu14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PROBLEM: Play Store crashing during updating and downloading of apps on Nexus 4

I'm having an issue installing/updating apps and accessing the play store on my Nexus 4. I'm running official Jellybean 4.2.1.

The problem started the other day when i went to clicked to accept an app update and the play store instantly crashed and returned me to the nexus home screen.When clicking on the play store icon to reopen the play store i get maybe a flash of the play store home screen and then am returned to the nexus home screen yet again.

- Restarting the phone gives me the following message "Unfortunately , the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
    - I have tried the standard troubleshooting response of going to the apps settings and clearing cache and data , this allows me to access the play store like normal but any attempt to install or update any app returns me to my original situation
    - I have also tried deleting my Google account and re-initiating it. In the process i stupidly selected the option of Automatic updates which means i can't access Google play at all as it always trying to download an outstanding update which is what it seems to have a problem with. I also can't work out how to revert this automatic updates selection without access to play
    -I have restarted my phone following all of these attempted solutions with no success

Can anyone help me out of this pickle!!!
    Last edited by Tom Mulqueen; 01-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Default Re: PROBLEM: Play Store crashing during updating and downloading of apps on Nexus 4

Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store -> Clear data and Clear Cache

Then restart your phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: PROBLEM: Play Store crashing during updating and downloading of apps on Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store -> Clear data and Clear Cache

Then restart your phone.
    Thanks for the reply.

I did this post-removal of google account and post-removal of google play app data as part of the stuff i already tried. Wish it was that simple!

in the S3 thread some guy had the same problem he disabled the download manager, have you disabled/uninstalled any of the Google Apps?
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    in the S3 thread some guy had the same problem he disabled the download manager, have you disabled/uninstalled any of the Google Apps?
    That's done it! Thank you so much. I think a rogue app was attempting to download itself of my phone and the download manager may have switched off in response! Its funny how something as simple as that can cause so much hassle. I had been considering a factory reset so you've saved me from that.

Thanks again!
    Thanked by:

Sorry I have this problem as well but I don't understand what you did to fix it. Could you help me please? I have a galaxy s3 on rogers btw
    Edit: Nvm enabled download manager. Fixed the issue
    Last edited by Manu14; 01-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Halo all... i had same problem he disabled an issue installing/updatingappsand accessing the play store on my samsung galaxy tab 7.0. I'm running official ice cream sandwich 4.0.4.. Can anyone help me...

im using galaxy note 2 and im having the same problems
    tried to clear chace and data but still back to square 1 can any1 tell me how to enabled download manager?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Go to settings > apps > Download manager . Then select enable if it has been disables

Hey I am still not understanding how to get rid of this problem.
    I did try clearing cache and data and then restarted my phone but it didn't help. Can you please explain how to sort this issue ? My phone is just 15 days old and it is already causing me a problem .

Read the thread above yours....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mulqueen View Post
    Go to settings > apps > Download manager . Then select enable if it has been disables