Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Default How good is the Nexus 4 GPS

How good is the GPS on the Nexus 4? I just activated mine and it doesn't get a GPS lock indoors. It does OK out doors but nothing when I come back indoors. In the same indoor location my OG EVO locks on in a few seconds. Just wondering if I have a dud and should return it, or if it is normal to have poor GPS sensitivity.

If there is already a discussion on this, could someone link me to it.

Default Re: How good is the Nexus 4 GPS

I sometimes get a short delay when it tries to get a GPS lock indoors. I think it's normal. Frankly, I think it's a 4.2 thing. My N7 and N10 seem to take a few seconds too long even when leveraging WiFi.

I don't know whats good or bad to folks, because you can only go off prior experience. Based on my prior experience, where the Tmo Vibrant would RARELY lock and only did so after some tweaks, and the GS2 which took forever even outdoors, the N4 is great for me. On the road it looks quick, I don't use it in doors because I don't know why I one would need the GPS to lock indoors, but my location in general locks quick when im on wifi.

Sometimes mine has issues getting a gps lock when I try to navigate from inside my house, though the only time I ever try to navigate when inside is whenever I see a thread like this. All my navigation occurs when I'm in my truck, and I get a gps lock in about 1 to 3 seconds. That's all I need. This phone gets gps faster than my Galaxy Nexus did, and it worked great as well. Indoors is often times difficult for gps...your making a satellite connection, not a cellular one.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Coming from a GS3, the GPS seems alittle slower when trying to start up but other then that its the same for me.

It's okay but slower and can be a bit off but not that bad unless you have a cell reception

I have been impressed with the GPS compared to my Nexus One. It is also faster to acquire satellites than my car's GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post
    I have been impressed with the GPS compared to my Nexus One. It is also faster to acquire satellites than my car's GPS.
    nexus one? Funny. Of course it is better lol. but i'm surprised its faster than your car.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD View Post
    How good is the GPS on the Nexus 4? I just activated mine and it doesn't get a GPS lock indoors. It does OK out doors but nothing when I come back indoors. In the same indoor location my OG EVO locks on in a few seconds. Just wondering if I have a dud and should return it, or if it is normal to have poor GPS sensitivity.

How do you get GPS lock indoors? Those signals don't penetrate buildings very well. Is it possible your old phone is using network/Wi-Fi to get location date? You can turn that on and off, maybe your new phone needs is settings updated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I get between 15 and 20 satellites indoors. Its fast and and accurate. I have used a Delorme Earthmate PN 20 or years and it better than that for acquisition and speed.

I get an accurate lock from in my basement every time. I do sit about 5 feet from a tiny basement window facing south though.

Quote Originally Posted by RonD View Post

Just tested it:

With wifi on: lock in on location instantly. (The instant google maps came up on screen, it already had it locked)
    With wifi-off: same.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    How do you get GPS lock indoors? Those signals don't penetrate buildings very well. Is it possible your old phone is using network/Wi-Fi to get location date? You can turn that on and off, maybe your new phone needs is settings updated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You sure dude? I mean its perfect for me outside and inside

Sent from my Nexus 4

GPS performance is fantastic on mine. Always knows my location pretty well indoors too. Why would you need GPS location services inside your home anyway? (Serious question, not trying to be a jerk)

My Nexus 7 sees 8-15 satellites INDOORS. Nexus 4... usually 0. Even outside I'm lucky to see 2-4. Often I cannot get a location fix even walking across town with the Nexus 4. There is a very clear differance

You mention outdoor gps tracking is "ok" what does that mean? I always assumed that you could not get direct satellite gps connection indoors. If your gps tracking outdoors is extremely slow to connect then it should warrant further testing.

The Nexus GPS is very accurate, and I use it all the time.

I get between 15 and 20 satellites indoors.
    !!!???

My understanding is that, as most, only nine are visible at any point on the earth. I am definitely curious as to how you conclude that you have access to so many.