1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 20% drain in an hour? Really?

Hi everyone. I love my Nexus, but I am just wondering - is the battery life on this phone pretty bad?

Sleep is fine. I don't see any drain. But the minute I turn it on, the battery drain is enormous. I've done the reading, I've lowered brightness to 20%, disabled location services, disabled tap sounds, and even flashed Franco's kernel.

Currently as of this writing, my battery usage is at 17%, at 58 minutes. This includes me opening up a few webpages, going through the phone's settings, taking 4 screenshots and uploading them. That is all - I didn't open up any other programs. At this rate, I will go through the phone in under 4 hours, and this is considered low-moderate usage, right?

I am wondering if anyone thinks this is bad battery drain, or if its pretty normal. I would really like to be able to use my phone without having to constantly watch and monitor the battery drain, because this is ridiculous. I know people are telling to shut off all of the sync, the location services - but if I do, then whats the point of having an android in the first place if you cant use these amazing services?

Remember, this is with Franco's kernel, which is supposed to give better battery life.

Will there be updates that improve battery life? Noticeably? At least 30+ minutes of extra screen time?

Screens -

------------

-----------

-----------

Last edited by Ironarm; 01-09-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Default Re: 20% drain in an hour? Really?

Tell us what your screen time is after a full day (or whenever it gets near dead). If you're getting 3 to 5 hours (screen time), that's about all any android phone is going to get.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ironarm View Post

Remember, this is with Franco's kernel, which is supposed to give better battery life.
    Ummm.... (need I say more?)

Unless I am missing something your screen shots show the battery at 89% with 31 minutes screen on time. 11% drain doesn't seem bad at all.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by joelisenat View Post
    Unless I am missing something your screen shots show the battery at 89% with 31 minutes screen on time. 11% drain doesn't seem bad at all.
    The screens were taken before I wrote my post. The post took another 20-25 minutes to write and after that, the battery drained another ~8-9% after I finished it. During that time, I had the phone on doing absolutely nothing. I put sleep on a 30 minute interval to test the drain while on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironarm View Post
    During that time, I had the phone on doing absolutely nothing. I put sleep on a 30 minute interval to test the drain while on.
    The above is a totally erroneous statement. If the phone was on for 30 minutes, it was very much "doing something" - on all smartphones and - back in the day - PDA's (personal digital assistants, PalmOS devices mostly), the screen uses more battery power than just about any other device sub-system. Even at 20% brightness level, a large screen such as the Nexus 4 has will consume a substantial amount of battery life in 30 minutes.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    The above is a totally erroneous statement. If the phone was on for 30 minutes, it was very much "doing something" - on all smartphones and - back in the day - PDA's (personal digital assistants, PalmOS devices mostly), the screen uses more battery power than just about any other device sub-system. Even at 20% brightness level, a large screen such as the Nexus 4 has will consume a substantial amount of battery life in 30 minutes.
    Yes, the phone is running programs during idle, I know that. I was referring to my actions with the phone, I did not touch it *at all* during that time when I was posting and it drained an additional 8 or 9%, I was pretty shocked.

No, I am referring to the screen itself. It takes a huge amount of power to keep the screen alive.

I'm on stock and if I leave the phone to idle, it loses between 0.7-1% per hour. So leaving it alone overnight for 8 hours, it would lose between 5-8%. In actual use, I get between 3hr45m and 4hr screen-on time.

Yeah from 100% to 89% in 39 minutes, with 31 of those minutes you having the screen on...that sounds about right to me. Also, Chrome seems to suck no the battery. Try a different browser maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    Yeah from 100% to 89% in 39 minutes, with 31 of those minutes you having the screen on...that sounds about right to me. Also, Chrome seems to suck no the battery. Try a different browser maybe?
    Chrome sucks battery because it's constantly syncing with your desktop browser. Disable sync on it for an improvement.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Doooshty View Post
    Chrome sucks battery because it's constantly syncing with your desktop browser. Disable sync on it for an improvement.
    45 of chrome drained 32% and 16% overall battery.

Sent from my Nexus 4
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Okay, I will disable Chrome sync. Thanks for the replies.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

Default AW: 20% drain in an hour? Really?

Mine drains 6.5% per hour with screen on at about 10% brightness and not interacting with the device. This is on Wi-Fi with stock kernel.

Under the same circumstances, the GNex GSM drains 8.5% per hour with darker screen.