Anyone using StraightTalk with Nexus 4? T-mobile or AT&T??

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of getting out of AT&T and their ridiculous prices and am curious if anyone is currently using or know someone who is using StraightTalk.

They have $45/month unlimited talk/text/data plan all you need to do is pick AT&T or T-mobile and buy a SIM from them.

Any speed comparisons on their networks? I have heard that T-mobile's 4g (HSPA+) is better than AT&T's? Anyone have any real data to prove this?

I live in San Francisco, and have been on AT&T for years, but am thinking of switching to T-mobile.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of getting out of AT&T and their ridiculous prices and am curious if anyone is currently using or know someone who is using StraightTalk.

They have $45/month unlimited talk/text/data plan all you need to do is pick AT&T or T-mobile and buy a SIM from them.

Any speed comparisons on their networks? I have heard that T-mobile's 4g (HSPA+) is better than AT&T's? Anyone have any real data to prove this?

I live in San Francisco, and have been on AT&T for years, but am thinking of switching to T-mobile.

For me in San Diego, T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 Network is a lot faster then AT&T's HSPA+ 21 network. With daily speed tests taken around San Diego I normally get between 5-9 Mbps down on AT&T, with T-Mobile I normally get 12-18 Mbps down in the same locations around San Diego. This is with a Nexus 4. I will be switching once my AT&T contract ends but the speeds I get from AT&T are still pretty quick with daily use and is more then enough speed for my uses.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, T-Mobile service was a bit more spotty and I found at least 1 location where I would have no signal at all. I will still be switching most likely due to the low cost $30 a month plan that T-Mobile offers with unlimited text and data at 4G speeds up to 5GB with 100 minutes.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just finished a month with Straight Talk on T-Mobile's network. Speeds were around 10 Mbit where I live, but nice blazing 15-25 Mbit where I work and closer to the city (Pittsburgh). Coverage was so-so - no data at all at my parents house who live out in the boonies, for example, where my old Sprint phone works fine. And I was at a mall a couple weeks ago where I could get no signal half the time. My basic summary of my T-Mobile experience was that T-Mobile's data coverage map, at least for me, was extremely accurate.

I just started up a month of Straight Talk on AT&T's network this past weekend. Haven't been moving around enough to comment on much on coverage. Speeds are definitely a lot slower. Only 2-3 Mmit where I live, even though I'm in a 4G area and phone is showing "H", just like it did with T-Mobile. Usually only see around 3-4 Mbit where I work, which is also 4G, although I've seen it go to 6 Mbit a couple times.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys this is all great info! Anyone with more testimonials please provide.

@nonymous666, lemme know how this month goes on AT&T, but it appears that T-Mobile is the winner in terms of speed, although coverage might be spotty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool