Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 charger - using LG STA-U12WR cause any damage?

The charger that came with the Nexus 4 (bottom in the image) has the following specs:

Input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz 0.2A
    Output: 5.0V - 1.2A

The LG STA-U12WR retail charger (top in the image) I bought has these specs:

Output: 5.1V - 0.7A

Will the difference in output cause any damage to the phone using this LG STA-U12WR charger?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 charger - using LG STA-U12WR cause any damage?-2013-01-09-21.57.17.jpg  

Default Re: Nexus 4 charger - using LG STA-U12WR cause any damage?

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob2 View Post
    The charger that came with the Nexus 4 (bottom in the image) has the following specs:

Output: 5.0V - 1.2A

The LG STA-U12WR retail charger (top in the image) I bought has these specs:

Output: 5.1V - 0.7A

Will the difference in output cause any damage to the phone using this LG STA-U12WR charger?
    Well it is recomended to use the charger that was provided in the box but you can use ajy other charger that will work for other micro usb phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Because the power output of the LG charger is so much lower (0.7 amps compared to 1.2 amps), charging your phone will take significantly longer...

ROM
    Stock

What he ^ said. It will take longer but thats about it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, thanks for the info. I wanted a spare for travelling and won't mind the extra time to charge (it'll be done overnight anyways).

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an additional one the same as the one that comes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob2 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info. I wanted a spare for travelling and won't mind the extra time to charge (it'll be done overnight anyways).

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an additional one the same as the one that comes with it?
    Not sure about "the same", but the next time you go out looking for a charger, be sure to check the output current rating. Look for at least 1.2 amps; for a really fast charge, pay the extra bucks for one with 2.0 amp output.
    dice0325 likes this.

Try searching for the model number of the adapter that came in the box. It should be on the adapter itself or maybe in the manuals. I found a new second adapter identical to the one that came with my Nexus 10 that way.

I can't remember where I read this, but charging the phone with a 2 amp adapter consistently isn't good for long-term battery health. It's OK to do occasionally, but not everyday. Anything that provides 1 amp should be fine.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

The original adapter that comes with the US LG Nexus 4 is a model LG MCS-01WR. It is impossible to find this on eBay and most OEM LG adapters are only 0.7A which causes slow charges. I did find this exact adapter from a Hong Kong source:

Doesn't seem like it's an easy thing to purchase though. Has anyone else had any luck?