Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Default Re: Hairline scratches on the rear

Quote Originally Posted by mr.rickeyk View Post
    To bad they couldn't have used Gorilla Glass on the back, because I love the look of it. But it is what it is.

What's funny is I started searching on how to stop a run in glass when I stumbled across all these other stories of the hairline cracks on just the back of the Nexus 4.

Makes me wonder if sitting down with this in your front pocket is just to much pressure on the back glass panel, if that causes stress fractures? Because that's the only thing I can think I've done....
    I agree, whatever they used on the back is not as durable as Gorilla Glass. That was probably a poor design decision that did not live up to whatever economic benefit they gained.

As for the pocket thing, I didn't mean to suggest that your pocket is a dangerous place for a smartphone. What I meant (and you nodded to) was the possibility of putting stress on the phone by accident through your own movements. Catching the phone between your thigh and hip when sitting down when it's in your front pocket, for example, would stress the middle of the phone. Same thing with having the phone in your back pocket and squatting down, which could also try to bend the phone depending on its position in your pocket.

A phone like the S2 (or S3) with a plastic back would not suffer much from these actions, but a phone with a glass back (like the iPhone 4/4s and the Nexus 4) would naturally be more susceptible to such stress fractures. It sucks that you caught an unlucky break. I suppose my post (and the one before) is meant as a warning to people that you can't treat the N4 like plastic-bodied smartphones, and expect it to remain pristine. Some may call that a flaw or defect, but I simply call it an incentive to be careful with my phone.
    Thanked by:
    avenuePad likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12