• 4 Post By 2defmouze
  • 4 Post By Nonymous666
  • 4 Post By Phil Nickinson
  • 1 Post By YaSo
  • 4 Post By element526
  • 1 Post By MERCDROID
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 possibly discontinued,?

Looks like if you don't have a Nexus 4 you chances of getting one or them coming back into stock on Google Play are dropping. Let's see how bad Google will screw up the release of the Nexus 5 in a few months?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Nexus 4 possibly discontinued,?

There's a reason you don't see any of these "stories" being reported on the Android Central.. I'm just going to leave it at that.

LG might have gotten greedy? Stop Nexus 4, sell their own branded LG 4/5... Optimus G but with more stock Android 4.2?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

So LG would just stop production of N4 because they feel like it? There's no contract in place between LG and Google that specifies LG promises to build them for some duration of time, etc.? Yeah. Right.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I think you guys are reading too much into a story that has no sources or evidence. The international business times from what I have heard is notorious for rumor chasing and trying to be "first" even at the expense of credibility. I'm sure there is more to this story you haven't heard and I'm guessing that we aren't hearing anything near the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Read this.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    YaSo, rhea, MERCDROID and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (rooted-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Read this.
    Another reason why AC is one of my favorite news & FUD reduction outlets, Thank's Phil!
    MERCDROID likes this.

One of my favorite features of the Google News website is the ability to control how frequently, if at all, certain sources show up in the stories shown. International Business Times is one of the sources I've set to NEVER show up.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    One of my favorite features of the Google News website is the ability to control how frequently, if at all, certain sources show up in the stories shown. International Business Times is one of the sources I've set to NEVER show up.
    This is a good idea, but tons of sites are continuing to post articles based on this questionable source so unfortunately we will all continue to see this reposted at least until Google starts taking more orders or says something official.

I really don't see anything in the article that LG said which would make me conclude that they are discontinuing the phone. Of course they are working on new phones... by the time you buy any phone, the faster and better successor is being worked on. That is the way it works across the tech industry as well as many others.

As far as I am concerned, the International Business Times doesn't have any real credibility. They are posting a lot of other stuff based on rumors and what they would like to see. Take a look at some of the things they posted about the iPhone 5 before it was released... Some things were downright silly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

But I thought if you read it on the Internet it has to be true.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

so we are are down to the following options
    1) Nexus 4 has been discontinued but Google in their ongoing tradition of not communicating with their customers has not confirmed it
    2) Google has botched the rollout of the Nexus 4 and has been unable to fix the stock problems in the last 2 months
    3) Google never truly intended for this phone to be widely available and it's basically a gimmick
    Take your pick either way it doesn't look good for the future of the Nexus 4. I say this as a person who would have purchased one if it was just a matter of logging into Google Play and placing an order that would have been delivered with a week or so. So far there is absolutely zero signs of that happening. Really wouldn't surprise me if the production has been halted in favor of an upcoming release of the next piece of quasi vapor-hardware from Google.

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    so we are are down to the following options
    1) Nexus 4 has been discontinued but Google in their ongoing tradition of not communicating with their customers has not confirmed it
    2) Google has botched the rollout of the Nexus 4 and has been unable to fix the stock problems in the last 2 months
    3) Google never truly intended for this phone to be widely available and it's basically a gimmick
    Take your pick either way it doesn't look good for the future of the Nexus 4. I say this as a person who would have purchased one if it was just a matter of logging into Google Play and placing an order that would have been delivered with a week or so. So far there is absolutely zero signs of that happening. Really wouldn't surprise me if the production has been halted in favor of an upcoming release of the next piece of quasi vapor-hardware from Google.

#2 is prob the best bet. i doubt google halted the production of a flagship phone 2 months in. just not smart on their part. when it comes to the stock problems...who knows...its probably a bit of google and part LG production. ultimately though it makes google look awfully incompetent

i'm starting to think orders for the phone on the play store might not happen again until mid february/early march.

Is this even a serious post? Give me a break, it's only been out for a number of months. Peoples knee jerk reactions in the forums get ridiculous.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I personally like the theory I read somewhere that they halted production to produce a modified Nexus 4+ to release soon. Not because there is any evidence at all but because it would make me feel better after waiting this long if I got a slightly souped up version, haha.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

I honestly have no idea what to think, it does not makes sense (to at least me) that LG would halt production to force consumers to buy LG branded devices as I imagine Google has sort of contract with LG that guarantees X amount of devices.

I also have trouble believing that a new phone is being EOL (End Of Life) after only a few months of being on the market, to make room for a newer Nexus device.

I can kind of see Google LG underestimating demand and there being a short delay while LG ramps up manufacturing to meet demand, but that delay should be shorts, not months on end.

So, I really have no idea what is going on, I have a Nexus 4 and really like it and that is all I know.

Dan

Why are we still commenting on this... The nexus 4 isnt going to be discontinued

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Why are we still commenting on this... The nexus 4 isnt going to be discontinued

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Technically it will be discontinued at some point. Happens to all phones, and people for that matter, eventually...

I can see this happen. The people that are saying it won't probably just bought a nexus 4 and are mad. Suckers

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    I can see this happen. The people that are saying it won't probably just bought a nexus 4 and are mad. Suckers

Why, as an owner of the Nexus 4, would I be mad if it was discontinued? I have one and love it. As a Google device it will be supported for at least two years, if not three or four.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I don't own nor do I wish for one actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Someone's jealous And it takes a sucker to know a sucker

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by element526 View Post
    But I thought if you read it on the Internet it has to be true.
    Only if it's posted by Android Central
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    Thanked by:
    avenuePad likes this.