1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Default Recommend a fitness tracking app

Can anyone recommend an app that *works* on the Nexus 4 to track my activity?
    I want it to track my runs & cycles by GPS as well as letting me add manual entries from treadmill etc

Runkeeper is ideal, but they haven't updated the app since 4.2.1 came out and it force closes whenever I start anything with GPS
    CardioTrainer is no longer developed as they are concentrating on the bloated Noom app
    Google My Tracks works but doesn't record start times and is very basic

Can anyone recommend anything that works well on the Nexus 4?
    I have my Pebble watch coming soon so really wanted to keep using Runkeeper but they've been ignoring my support tickets since the N4 was released (RunKeeper is a partner with Pebble so we know it's going to be supported, just a shame the phone isn't!)

Default Re: Recommend a fitness tracking app

I don't know if it works with the latest jellybean but I love Endomondo Pro. GPS tracking and overlays onto a map, uploads to their website with more information, compatible with heart rate monitors, many activities to choose from and selectable information for on screen display.

There is a free version too to try out, it's only missing a few features from pro.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

I use JogTracker and it tracks runs/walks and cycling via GPS. I think you can manually upload stuff. but not totally sure.
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I use Endomondo Pro too. When I start running again I'm tempted to give the Nike+ Running app a try. It's free so maybe give that a go first?

EDIT: Skipped over the manual entries. Endomondo is probably your best bet. There's also Runtastic but I've never tried it.

Search play store for the three "mapmyfitness" apps. I used MapMyWalk on an earlier device with great success.

Check out Strava as well. I have a garmin watch and used the garmin connect site for a long time (its free for garmin wearers) but Strava has won me over.

There's an android app that uses your gps, like the others, etc...
    Thanked by 2:

I use Strava on my Nexus 4 every time I ride. It works very well. They have done a lot of great work on their app.
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

Endomondo.
    ~Sonic Alpha - 16GB Nexus 4 - 16GB Nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    mmace 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

For biking I use MapMyRide which is a great app and Nike+ for running since I have watch but you can't add in runs from a treadmill :-( I would recommend Endomondo if you need to add runs from a treadmill.
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i went through a bunch of them a while back. Settled on Endomondo Pro. The last few weeks I ran into some "GPS lost" problems, but other than that it's been great.
    Thanked by:
    mmace 

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rodgers View Post
    Check out Strava as well. I have a garmin watch and used the garmin connect site for a long time (its free for garmin wearers) but Strava has won me over.

There's an android app that uses your gps, like the others, etc...
    Thanks for this. Tried the app on today's run. Worked perfectly. Even showed on the map it created how I cheated going through one of my cul-de-sacs.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

One question . the nike running app works with lg nexus 4? As im Not sure and i really like this app (also nexus 4) :-)

Another vote for Endomondo. Its got some cool social features too if you have other friends using the app. And one other feature that often gets overlooked is it keeps track of what your are listening too during the workout. So, i'll start Google Music...make a radio station...go run....and when I hear a cool song that I liked I can go to my saved workout and it will tell me what I was listening to at that point on my run. Pretty cool! Iphone users don't get this feature because Apple locks down the ability to access the media player. TOOOOOO BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by eliask2004 View Post
    One question . the nike running app works with lg nexus 4? As im Not sure and i really like this app (also nexus 4) :-)
    It does work, yes.
    ~Sonic Alpha - 16GB Nexus 4 - 16GB Nexus 7

I love Sports track live. Does everything.