new to android - trying to sync Facebook contact pictures without adding contacts

Wuzus

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Just got my nexus 4 after many years of using iPhone so I hope it's not a total noob question...

I want to add Facebook contact pictures without adding all my Facebook friends to my contact list. I only want to add pictures to existing contacts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ivrimon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just got my nexus 4 after many years of using iPhone so I hope it's a total noob question...

I want to add Facebook contact pictures without adding all my Facebook friends to my contact list. I only want to add pictures to existing contacts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I use this app (Contact Sync for Facebook): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=ro.weednet.contactssync&token=Z85qhE7y
It gives you an option to only sync existing contacts. Also, if someone has a different name on facebook than your contacts just put that in the comment field to make sure it matches.
Alternatively, lot's of people use HaxSync: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&token=cw-C30TH

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just got my nexus 4 after many years of using iPhone so I hope it's not a total noob question...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Syncme, fijd in the playstore

Sent from my Nexus 4

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that even if you do end up syncing all your contacts, you can always just hide the FB ones in the People app through the menu.

(And in case you're curious why Android doesn't have native contact sync with Facebook, it's because FB didn't want to play fair with data sharing so Google nixed it.)

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is this an issue with everyone's Nexus 4? I haven't been able to add contact photos and its been driving me nuts. I'll be using this app and see if it works.

ivrimon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is this an issue with everyone's Nexus 4? I haven't been able to add contact photos and its been driving me nuts. I'll be using this app and see if it works.

Like Citizen Coyote said it's an issue with all Android 4.0+ (though I imagine some of the manufacturers have workarounds). It all started because there was a spat over data sharing (from 2010 BBC News - Facebook and Google in data sharing spat). Google wouldn't let Facebook access their data for the 'Find My Friends' feature. Then, when the APIs were updated for contacts in 4.0 Facebook never updated along with it (though to be fair this could have all just been due to their ineptitude!)

Basically, Google's APIs require two-way sharing which Facebook doesn't want. It goes beyond Android - it's an issue for all of Google's products.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I've had no problems getting my contacts to sync with FB using ContactSync for FB that ivrimon mentioned. If you save your contacts to your Google account (as opposed to saving them to your phone), you can also select contact photos in your Gmail address book. I don't think you can select FB photos for that, however, and the photo will remain static. I did it anyway for a few contacts who have the annoying habit of always changing their profile pics.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had no problems getting my contacts to sync with FB using ContactSync for FB that ivrimon mentioned. If you save your contacts to your Google account (as opposed to saving them to your phone), you can also select contact photos in your Gmail address book. I don't think you can select FB photos for that, however, and the photo will remain static. I did it anyway for a few contacts who have the annoying habit of always changing their profile pics.

The app works for me. which is great, but its incredibly stupid. It's a bit weird because my G2 which was running 2.1 (I believe) allowed me to do so. Well now I have contacts pics. YAAAY.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Citizen Coyote said it's an issue with all Android 4.0+ (though I imagine some of the manufacturers have workarounds). It all started because there was a spat over data sharing (from 2010 BBC News - Facebook and Google in data sharing spat). Google wouldn't let Facebook access their data for the 'Find My Friends' feature. Then, when the APIs were updated for contacts in 4.0 Facebook never updated along with it (though to be fair this could have all just been due to their ineptitude!)

Basically, Google's APIs require two-way sharing which Facebook doesn't want. It goes beyond Android - it's an issue for all of Google's products.

You would think they would play nice about contact pictures. FB has a press event tomorrow and to see what theyre ~*building*~. Should be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer