Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I would think the main rule is, if it don't fit into your pocket easily, it is ridiculous.

Of course, my pockets are so full already, I won't be able to fit a very large phone.
    "moneymike"
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    what if someone wanted pure android, the fastest software updates, on a phone that is not bigger than the current nexus 4? coming from the original galaxy s, I really can't see a reason to pick an android phone that is not a nexus. agree about the xperia z though, it is a looker lol
    there actually is quite some room on the bottom of the nexus 4. so a bigger screen would be ok with me as long as the bezel is not larger (more importantly, not wider) than the n4.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

uhh no dawg i never said "yes i dont want a bigger phone and because i dont want one everyone else should not". come on now.
    Not arguing with you at all, I'm not focusing on you, just in general I think a lot of folks do this, especially in the phone world. I use my Note one handed for some stuff, but mostly I have to use two hands. And I'm cool with that. I understand some folks are not cool with it. Whatever floats your boat and everyone else's boats is cool with me, that's why I love all the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I would think the main rule is, if it don't fit into your pocket easily, it is ridiculous.
    Not everyone has the same size pockets. If I wanted to wear a jacket everyday with pockets, I would carry an even bigger phone!

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    Not arguing with you at all, I'm not focusing on you, just in general I think a lot of folks do this, especially in the phone world. Whatever floats your boat and everyone else's boats is cool with me, that's why I love all the choices.
    the thing is, after many people migrated from other android phones to the nexus line (myself, included) they really just want to stick with it. so even though there are many choices, the nexus's size, in particular matters to many people (myself included).
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I use my Note one handed for some stuff, but mostly I have to use two hands. And I'm cool with that. I understand some folks are not cool with it.
    exactly.

the thing is, after many people migrated from other android phones to the nexus line (myself, included) they really just want to stick with it. so even though there are many choices, [I]the nexus in particular's[I] size matters to many people (myself included).
    I get that, I have the N7 tablet, and I rocked the GNEX for 7 months, but dropped it for the Note in a heartbeat. I loved that phone, but I love the Note more for everything it offers. So I'm not one of those who has to have a Nexus device. But if they make one that is 5", I'll be happy to join the Nexus crowd again.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I get that, I have the N7 tablet, and I rocked the GNEX for 7 months, but dropped it for the Note in a heartbeat. I loved that phone, but I love the Note more for everything it offers. So I'm not one of those who has to have a Nexus device. But if they make one that is 5", I'll be happy to join the Nexus crowd again.
    ehh maybe they should just make two then lol. 4.7"-ish one and a 5.5"-ish one for all you two handers :P
    lpt2569 likes this.

ehh maybe they should just make two then lol. 4.7"-ish one and a 5.5"-ish one for all you two handers :P
    Even better! I'd buy one of each!
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

If this turns out to be true, sign me up. I have very large hands and not-so-great eyesight. I do not fear the five inch beast.

As long as they aren't afraid to put enough battery on it to be useful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I think we are going to settle in right about where we are, the 4.7-5 range which is fine for most.

Bigger than five brings you to phablet territory then bigger than six you are in tablet territory.

That 6.1 is really going to flop a bit. It is just too much for most everyone. It is a nice offering, but very few will go with it.

Then you also have to consider the concepts we saw at the last show with the flexible screens....

Tough to pinpoint where all of this is gonna shake out.

This year should be interesting with a five inch s4, a better Nexus, and whatever Sony brings to the table. I am not writing the other companies off, they just need to show something cool in February.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Not everyone has the same size pockets. If I wanted to wear a jacket everyday with pockets, I would carry an even bigger phone!
    Oh, I can fit just about any size phone into jeans pockets.... walking normally with the phone in there is another story. lol
    lpt2569 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

most folks continue to assume that what they like is what should be what everyone else likes. You said this...

I have small/average hands and love the size of the Note. I don't like phones smaller than 5" any longer, but that is my personal preference. I don't assume anyone else feels this way, because it is my own opinion. And I'm sure there are plenty of large-handed folks out there with iPhones and Android phones smaller than 5". Hell, I see most people in my area using flip phones still!
    Flip phones? Where do you live? Siberia?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    lpt2569 and bobjohnson201 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Worse I bet... Cleveland

Thanked by:
    lpt2569 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

the key point in this article is this:
    Shipments of smartphones with screens 4.6 inches or larger grew to 82.7 million units last year from 1.8 million units in 2011, says New York-based market-research firm ABI Research.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I think we are going to settle in right about where we are, the 4.7-5 range which is fine for most.

Bigger than five brings you to phablet territory then bigger than six you are in tablet territory.

That 6.1 is really going to flop a bit. It is just too much for most everyone. It is a nice offering, but very few will go with it.

Then you also have to consider the concepts we saw at the last show with the flexible screens....

Tough to pinpoint where all of this is gonna shake out.

This year should be interesting with a five inch s4, a better Nexus, and whatever Sony brings to the table. I am not writing the other companies off, they just need to show something cool in February.

I think you are bang on. I would also add that with the larger phone becoming so popular that many people are finding tablets to be less of a necessity. I find that I use mine much less after getting my Nexus 4 while my wife who has a Blackberry uses her tablet all the time. If you have a note 2 you really don't need a tablet unless you are replacing a laptop with a Transformer Prime.

Android Evangelist

Im used to my note2 size already. Once you get used to it it really doesn't seem as big. I dont speak on phones much so I'm rarely holding it to my ears. A nexus 5 incher would be great especially edge to edge display

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    lpt2569 and bobjohnson201 like this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

and whatever Sony brings to the table
    their flagship was the xperia z they showed at CES. 5 inch -1080p screen. bigger bezel than nexus 4 i believe

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by richdroidx View Post
    Im used to my note2 size already. Once you get used to it it really doesn't seem as big. I dont speak on phones much so I'm rarely holding it to my ears. A nexus 5 incher would be great especially edge to edge display

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    since 5 inch phones will take over, all i can hope for is a bezel "as small as possible". i can't go to iphone (just saw my friends today). android is beautiful...
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Yeah I know but was not terribly impressed. I want to see more before I bump them up in class.

How about we see how it stacks up with the other offerings at that show in February

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah I know but was not terribly impressed. I want to see more before I bump them up in class.

How about we see how it stacks up with the other offerings at that show in February

i think cpu/RAM wise i think the n4 will stand up just fine with the phones of the near future. the next big thing IMO is advancement in materials.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

By the same token, everything in the last six months will.

We are getting close to the end of the line for Cpu and ram bumps. This is the year that should put the focus on display and battery life.

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

By the same token, everything in the last six months will.

We are getting close to the end of the line for Cpu and ram bumps. This is the year that should put the focus on display and battery life.

agree. and materials. :P

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Flip phones? Where do you live? Siberia?
    I know, right?!?! Lots of old school folks in my part of town, clinging to anything that is not a "smart" phone.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast