Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84
Like Tree39Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    is passing along rumors from a Korean forum that the Nexus 5 will be a phablet:

    The Nexus 5, that will be the 5th smartphone in the series, is rumoured to make an entrance into the phablet category sporting a 5-inch full-HD (1920 x 1080) display translating into a pixel density of 440ppi. Seems like an obvious choice (only if rumours are to be believed), considering most other smartphones will feature a high-end display.

    Furthermore, the Nexus 5 apparently boasts the all-new NVIDIA Tegra 4 processor with 2GB of RAM, 8/16GB of internal storage, a 13-megapixel auto-focus rear camera with LED flash and a 3-megapixel front-facing camera.

    Not just that, the smartphone's rumoured pricing indicates that the 8GB model will retail for $299 (Ring-a-bell?) Well, the current Nexus 4 (SOLD OUT on the Google Play store) is priced ditto as the Nexus 5.


    With all the other "LG stopping production" rumors and such floating around I'm not sure how believable it all is, but it is an interesting idea...
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Not my style at all. Not a fan of the phablet trend. The N4 is pretty much the max size for me to comfortably carry around. Anything bigger and I would need a purse to store it in.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Yeah, I agree. The present size is perfect for me. If this were to be true then our nexus 4's could become rare collector's items for those people who don't want a phablet-sized nexus! :-D
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    No, no, and more no.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    We're close to a year away from the N5. At this point, you could say the N5 is rumored to be a Chrome laptop. Not much sense in fretting (or even wanting) any rumored device. Just enjoy the one you're with!
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    The Note/2 is a fairly well selling niche "phablet" device by all means with a 5.5" screen because it also has a large bezel. It looks and feels big in my rather large hands and it feels rather ridiculous for me to put up to my ear and use as a phone. The DNA is 5" and didn't feel any different than my gnex. It's still comfortable to use as a phone. I understand that for someone who thought 4.3" was their maximum size for their phone a 5" phone might seem too much, but the next round of flagship phones will all have 1080p 5" displays BUT with less bezel to remain in that general 4.3-4.8" form factor we've all become comfortable with. Here's a 5" DNA next to a N4 for comparison. Negligible to most.

    Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'-snap-dna.jpgRumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'-snapgn2.jpg
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    double
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    I think its too soon for these rumors. Well anyways the specs are going to be better since ces announcements.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    I wouldn't mind a 5.0inch but anything (even 0.01) bigger is too much.
    4.99 would be ideal as I'd still be able to say "At least it's not a 5inch screen!"

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    avenuePad and MERCDROID like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    I wouldn't mind a 5.0inch but anything (even 0.01) bigger is too much.
    4.99 would be ideal as I'd still be able to say "At least it's not a 5inch screen!"

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Can you even use a screen that big in one hand or do you have trouble. I'm having a bit with this nexus 4 screen even though some is taken by the screen buttons so more like 4.6.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Can you even use a screen that big in one hand or do you have trouble.
    ...
    I can't palm the Note 2 but the N4 & Droid DNA are fine.
    That said, I think it'd be easier if it had better grip on the outer edges - that's where the ring finger on my right hand often slips when using that hand to type with my thumb.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    880 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.2

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    The Note/2 is a fairly well selling niche "phablet" device by all means with a 5.5" screen because it also has a large bezel. It looks and feels big in my rather large hands and it feels rather ridiculous for me to put up to my ear and use as a phone. The DNA is 5" and didn't feel any different than my gnex. It's still comfortable to use as a phone. I understand that for someone who thought 4.3" was their maximum size for their phone a 5" phone might seem too much, but the next round of flagship phones will all have 1080p 5" displays BUT with less bezel to remain in that general 4.3-4.8" form factor we've all become comfortable with. Here's a 5" DNA next to a N4 for comparison. Negligible to most.
    Likewise. The Note 2 just seems freakishly large, even though I'm able to hold it easily. Before I picked up a Nexus I was considering a Note 2 because I really liked everything I had read about it, and the pics made it seem not that bad (like yours). But then I saw it in person and fiddled with it, and I just could not shake the truth that I was holding this massive slab of electronics in my hand that I would have to hold up to my face at some point. I just couldn't do it, and decided to go with the N4. The Note 2 is a nice device and has its fans, but for me at least the photos did not tell the whole story.

    As for a Nexus phablet, I'm not even going to consider any rumors about the device until the fall at the earliest. Anything before that is pure conjecture.
    ConTejas likes this.
  13. #13  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    ^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.
    Thanked by:
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Hell, just make the Nexus 7 a phone and be done with it. That's where we're heading anyway.
    Thanked by 3:
  15. #15  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Likewise. The Note 2 just seems freakishly large, even though I'm able to hold it easily. Before I picked up a Nexus I was considering a Note 2 because I really liked everything I had read about it, and the pics made it seem not that bad (like yours). But then I saw it in person and fiddled with it, and I just could not shake the truth that I was holding this massive slab of electronics in my hand that I would have to hold up to my face at some point. I just couldn't do it, and decided to go with the N4. The Note 2 is a nice device and has its fans, but for me at least the photos did not tell the whole story.

    As for a Nexus phablet, I'm not even going to consider any rumors about the device until the fall at the earliest. Anything before that is pure conjecture.
    For the record, I posted the GN2 vs N4 above because I thought it showed how freakishly large the GN2 is...it's a "phablet". The N4 isn't a small phone lol. The DNA is just a tiny bit larger than the N4 even with a 5" screen. It still looks/feels like phone. Judging by CES and the rumor mill that is what you should expect for the next round of flagships. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GN3 has a 6" screen with the same phablet form factor as the GN2 because of a reduced bezel.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    For me it makes no longer sense. We can barely or non see the difference between the screens we have now and the ones we had a few months ago.
    Hardware is where I would like to see real improvement
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazCruz View Post
    Hardware is where I would like to see real improvement
    Batteries, ever will it be batteries.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    AquilaAtra likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Batteries, ever will it be batteries.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    GN2 already has that covered with a 3100mah battery. Mines last a very long time. I don't worry about the battery running down anymore. With a big phone comes a big battery.
    lpt2569 likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    I still think the N4 is a unicorn and none of you really have one. How else to explain why it's always unavailable to order when I finally contemplate it...

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    I hate this my screen is bigger than your screen trend. I've watched Android grow and grow, literally, and I remember when 4.3 was large. That ended up being comfortable, and my Nexus 4 is even very comfortable in my hand, but these 5 inch phones can go to hell. It would be one thing if these manufacturers shrunk the bezel, but even still, screen size is not a necessary focal point to me. Its 2013 and we're still looking behind every crevice to find where the battery juice went. I think the battery is of the utmost importance with any mobile device, and by "improving" these other aspects of the hardware, I feel they're ignoring more important ones.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVivekB View Post
    I still think the N4 is a unicorn and none of you really have one. How else to explain why it's always unavailable to order when I finally contemplate it...

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think is necessary to sign with "Sent from my nexus 4..."

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Batteries, ever will it be batteries.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Yes, I tried to include batteries and performance by saying software, not hardware.
  22. #22  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    ^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.
    This

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    GN2 already has that covered with a 3100mah battery. Mines last a very long time. I don't worry about the battery running down anymore. With a big phone comes a big battery.
    Putting a larger capacity battery in a device doesn't solve the issue of battery optimization and/or improvement. Actually, the Note II is already large, so it's not surprising to have a larger battery by default.
  24. #24  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    ^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.
    Ditto. I like the size of my Nexus 4 but think I could handle it being a bit longer. The on screen buttons take up a bit of room that I would like to see added to the screen real estate.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

    Been a note user for a year I just love big screen phone. I can't go back to small sizes phone and if the rumors are true I might gonna buy it.

    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be the last Verizon Phone I'll own!
    By Somethingsfishy in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
  2. O2 UK have just announced that it will be available!
    By StuMcBill in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 05:25 AM
  3. [Blind item] Next Nexus will be Motorola
    By Phil Nickinson in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
  4. Rumors: DROID X2 Will Be Dual-Core, Incredible 2 Global?
    By Hitch_Itch in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
  5. Sadly, My Nexus Will be no more
    By Droid800 in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

B