Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By droidfrk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How am I using up so much storage?

I have a 16 GB version of the Nexus 4. It said 12.92 GB is available. Of this, 4 GB is apps(mainly Google music), 20 MB of pics and videos, 6.89 MB of cached data, and a few KB of other stuff.
    It says I only have 2.78 GB left. Where am I losing so much space? Is this a bug, or is there something I can't see that is using up so much space? Thanks.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot: imgur: the simple image sharer

ROM
    UD 2.0

Default Re: How am I using up so much storage?

Are u running clockwork mod or any other type of back up/ROM manager?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

weird... well I don't know, droidfrk might be right. I'm just starting to get into rooting after playing with vanilla android for a week or so.

ROM
    UD 2.0

OK the reason I asked in clockwork it does a different kind of backup. I had this same problem on my GSIII and it ended up being the backup files in clockworkmod folder stored on my phone. Downfall I had to delete my backups from clockworkmod. There is another post on this let me see if I can dig it up and I'll post it for you for a better explanation.

Post a screen shot of settings-- storage
    Hopefully it can help identify the problem.

Strange. My list adds up. For me the biggest category is miscellaneous at the bottom. It does show the space used for my TWRP recovery.

-M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

ROM
    UD 2.0

I cant find it now but u need to get a file manager and into clockworkmod and go into backups / bet you will find all your memory leak. Delete all your backups and start with a fresh one.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.2.1

There is an app in the Play Store called Storage Analyzer. Check it out. It will show you what is taking up all of your space.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I am running CWM, but I deleted the backup files. It still doesn't add up for me.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Please see the OP.

how much is the Misc memory taking up? i had the same 'problem' Misc was taking up about 4gb i think i just wiped the phone by locking the bootloader then unlocking it which wiped everything (even the internal memory i think) now i have 10gb free after installing all my apps plus a back up as well and Misc is under 1gb

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    how much is the Misc memory taking up? i had the same 'problem' Misc was taking up about 4gb i
    Not sure if you know but tap Misc and the details come up. It should show you what apps are using the space

Quote Originally Posted by Fred23 View Post
    Not sure if you know but tap Misc and the details come up. It should show you what apps are using the space
    yeah it did before but i wiped the phone anyway, now it's only taking up under a gig and most of it's co pilot im not even sure what most of them are i normally delete them

I had this problem a few days ago and solved it (for my phone). Assuming (based on you having CWM) you're rooted, launch RootExplorer, navigate to /data/media (not the sdcard dir, but the /data/media from your phone's root dir) and long press the clockworkmod dir, then select properties. I bet you'll find most of your mb's hidden there...just delete them. Before I did this in RootExplorer, the clockworkmod dir that you see on a PC's file explorer window (when your phone is plugged into your PC) was showing up as empty.

Edit: I should add that I had the exact same thing going on in the /data/media/twrp directory...the sd card twrp dir showed empty when plugged into a PC, but had a couple of gigs when viewed using RootExplorer and looking in the /data/media dir.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/