Nexus 4 keeps turning off even when charging?

cardcrusher

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

My phone has this bad habit of sometimes turning off in the middle of the night when charging. When I say turning off, I mean that the screen is turned off (but not responsive at all even when I push the unlock button). I can still get the notification LED, but when my phone does this I have no sound (no alarm, no notification sounds, etc).

The only way I get my phone back is press and hold the lock button(which I guess turns it off completely) and then press and hold it again to turn it on. When the phone finally boots up again, it says I have full charge, so I'm pretty sure battery isn't the issue. What's going on?

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

My phone has this bad habit of sometimes turning off in the middle of the night when charging. When I say turning off, I mean that the screen is turned off (but not responsive at all even when I push the unlock button). I can still get the notification LED, but when my phone does this I have no sound (no alarm, no notification sounds, etc).

The only way I get my phone back is press and hold the lock button(which I guess turns it off completely) and then press and hold it again to turn it on. When the phone finally boots up again, it says I have full charge, so I'm pretty sure battery isn't the issue. What's going on?

Are you running a custom ROM?

Sent from my Nexus 4

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it could just be locking up/freezing. I get something similar every so often with my Nexus 7. I've been meaning to try a factory reset to see if that helps, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

jeffepops

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the exact same problem -- no custom ROM or rooting. It's an intermittent issue, and has not happened in the last several nights. The biggest problem is that I can't count on the phone's alarm to work. I don't know if its a problem that goes away once the phone has gone through several charging cycles. I called Google Play, and they had no solution, but have offered to send me a replacement.

cardcrusher

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the exact same problem -- no custom ROM or rooting. It's an intermittent issue, and has not happened in the last several nights. The biggest problem is that I can't count on the phone's alarm to work. I don't know if its a problem that goes away once the phone has gone through several charging cycles. I called Google Play, and they had no solution, but have offered to send me a replacement.

I might contact them then. I also talked with a friend who had a Motorola Atrix, and he said he also had this exact problem. I'm not sure if it's some OS error.

BingoZ7

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this same problem. Nothing would go through during it. Slept through some alarms and several calls one morning because they weren't going thru since there was no sound or vibration. Tried a factory reset and the problem seems to be back again.

pohutakawa

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This sounds exactly like my problem. I'm an ordinary user no bells or whistles, the phone is as o2 gave it to me. I have no battery saving apps installed (in fact hardly any apps at all installed).

BingoZ7

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Its probably got nothing to do with the issue but are you guys using daydream mode?
I think it may have been enabled by default but, its suppose to display the clock while in that mode which I have never seen. I usually just see a blank screen when the problem occurs. Will try to turn it off and see if it happens again.

Last edited:

Weeble35

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 does it as well. When I wake up in the morning my phone is off. Would really like a solution so if anyone finds out what it is please post.

jeffepops

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Call Google. I had this issue when I first got the phone, and Google offered to replace the phone. I've had the phone for a month now, and after those first few days, it's been charging normally, without shutting down. If it happens again, I will take advantage of the replacement offer. I have a feeling its some software issue that resolved itself after rebooting a few times, but that's just a guess. How long have you had your phone? Does it shut down every night? Are you using the included charger and making sure it is fully inserted into the mini-usb jack?

Weeble35

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had my nexus only a few days. But 3 nights in a row It turned itself off. I will use the provided charger tonight but the one I have been using charges it normally.

BingoZ7

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Call Google. I had this issue when I first got the phone, and Google offered to replace the phone. I've had the phone for a month now, and after those first few days, it's been charging normally, without shutting down. If it happens again, I will take advantage of the replacement offer. I have a feeling its some software issue that resolved itself after rebooting a few times, but that's just a guess. How long have you had your phone? Does it shut down every night? Are you using the included charger and making sure it is fully inserted into the mini-usb jack?

I've had mine since it first became available in the U.S. It looks like I am still having this problem every now and then. I have used the charger that came with it and others and yes they plugged in.

Does anyone also have problems where it would freeze when your on a call or just trying to turn the screen back on?

I may have to call google soon.

specc

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. It has to do with the day dream option being turned off. Once I turned it back on its normal again.

Steven Braithwaite

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone also have problems where it would freeze when your on a call or just trying to turn the screen back on?

I have this issue too. I've had my N4 since Christmas and it has only just started happening over the past week or two. It shuts down by turning the screen black upto 3 times a day, sometimes when on a call, sometimes when in my pocket...random.
It's a real pain as I think my phone is switched on when it's not capable of receiving a call, messages or email.

This together with it not hooking upto wifi (grey bars not blue).....I'm a bit disgruntled with Google at the moment.

PS. My daydream is set to on when charging only. It hasn't switched itself 'off' when charging overnight (yet!)

gphilp

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I saw that the 4.2.2 version was supposed to fix the random rebooting.
quote: "the new software landed on the Nexus devices last week. It was supposed to fix the problem with the previous version, 4.2.1, rebooting your phone without warning"

I have a new Nexus 4 with 4.2.2 installed and my phone still randomly shuts down without warning. I only notice it when I go to use it and have to turn it back on!

Please can this issue be fixed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL