Data Usage App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
got to settings-->data usage. it can track data usage for wifi and carrier data.

wifi data usage has to be checked in settings to be seen. they are hidden by default.

settings-->data usage-->menu[3 dots on top right]-->check "show wifi usage".

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're on Tmobile, they have an app that does a great job of showing data and call info called MyAccount.

That's what I use; it works great! I have the minutes widget and the data widget both installed. The data widget shows usage very close to the stock data app, so evidently stock is quite accurate. The minutes widget updates almost instantly after a call.

rudyych

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
回覆: Data Usage App

got to settings-->data usage. it can track data usage for wifi and carrier data.
Does any one know if there is a widget showing data usage info from the statistic of stock.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please recommend some good data usage app and or widget? Thanks for your help.

Nexus 4 16GB.
My Data Manager is awesome. Sets alarms and adds a widget to your notification pull down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
That's what I use; it works great! I have the minutes widget and the data widget both installed. The data widget shows usage very close to the stock data app, so evidently stock is quite accurate. The minutes widget updates almost instantly after a call.

I would never tell somebody else how they need to use their phone...if you need to be able to see the phone minutes you have left the second you hang up, meaning you need to have a widget on a home screen vs just launching the app later that day, then you should definitely use it that way. Just be careful with all that widget usage. If you end up loading your screens to heavily with widgets that are constantly updating themselves, you'll find yourself starting a "Why Does My Battery Life Suck?" thread.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I would never tell somebody else how they need to use their phone...if you need to be able to see the phone minutes you have left the second you hang up, meaning you need to have a widget on a home screen vs just launching the app later that day, then you should definitely use it that way. Just be careful with all that widget usage. If you end up loading your screens to heavily with widgets that are constantly updating themselves, you'll find yourself starting a "Why Does My Battery Life Suck?" thread.

If there are update settings on the widget, it's all good.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

While many widgets can indeed cause a sharp increase in battery usage, keep in mind that widgets don't always update on a set, timed basis. The T-Mobile plan minutes widget may very well be using the PhoneStateListener or [URL="http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/TelephonyManager.html]TelephonyManager[/URL] to recognize phone calls and update the widget shortly thereafter.

Although they aren't mutually exclusive, a widget that always seems up-to-date doesn't necessarily constitute an over-updating or otherwise irresponsibly-updating widget.

Hellmark

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

wifi data usage has to be checked in settings to be seen. they are hidden by default.

settings-->data usage-->menu[3 dots on top right]-->check "show wifi usage".

On my Nexus, with 4.2 "show wifi usage" is no longer an option. Also it has the cycle based on the past 28 days. That sucks because my cycle starts on the 11th. I cannot effectively track my usage within my cycle like I used to.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus, with 4.2 "show wifi usage" is no longer an option. Also it has the cycle based on the past 28 days. That sucks because my cycle starts on the 11th. I cannot effectively track my usage within my cycle like I used to.
DONT TROLL

that option is available. maybe you are not looking at the right place.

settings-->data usage-->[3 dots on top right] inline with data usage on top.
"show wifi usage" is a checkbox.

to change the cycle. enable data then on mobile "data usage cycle" dropdown there will be an option called change cycle(the last option).

you have to have data enabled to change the cycle.

data-usage-graph-trim.png

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
DONT TROLL

to change the cycle. enable data then on mobile "data usage cycle" dropdown there will be an option called change cycle(the last option).

View attachment 57450
Thanks for this. I was not aware of this feature. I don't need it but my kids have small data plans. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hellmark

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
DONT TROLL

View attachment 57450

I am not trolling. Data enabled. Hit the menu/3dot button and get the following:
Restrict background data
Auto-sync data
Mobile hot spots
Help

No more show wifi, and the dropdown doesn't give an option for change cycle anymore.