Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Data Usage App

    Could someone please recommend some good data usage app and or widget? Thanks for your help.

    Nexus 4 16GB.
  2. #2  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyTC View Post
    Could someone please recommend some good data usage app and or widget? Thanks for your help.

    Nexus 4 16GB.
    There is one built into the os in the settings that tracks usage

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    got to settings-->data usage. it can track data usage for wifi and carrier data.

    wifi data usage has to be checked in settings to be seen. they are hidden by default.

    settings-->data usage-->menu[3 dots on top right]-->check "show wifi usage".
    taylorz_412 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    3g Watchdog Pro is what I use. Better then stock in my opinion.
    chetan8905 and multo like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Does this have an available widget to put on homescreen?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Yes
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    If you're on Tmobile, they have an app that does a great job of showing data and call info called MyAccount.
  8. #8  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar

    Posts
    729 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,635 Global Posts

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    If you're on Tmobile, they have an app that does a great job of showing data and call info called MyAccount.
    That's what I use; it works great! I have the minutes widget and the data widget both installed. The data widget shows usage very close to the stock data app, so evidently stock is quite accurate. The minutes widget updates almost instantly after a call.
  9. #9  

    Default 回覆: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    got to settings-->data usage. it can track data usage for wifi and carrier data.
    Does any one know if there is a widget showing data usage info from the statistic of stock.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,267 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyTC View Post
    Could someone please recommend some good data usage app and or widget? Thanks for your help.

    Nexus 4 16GB.
    My Data Manager is awesome. Sets alarms and adds a widget to your notification pull down.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    canucks4life likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 回覆: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by rudyych View Post
    Does any one know if there is a widget showing data usage info from the stock.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    no, not that i know in stock
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    That's what I use; it works great! I have the minutes widget and the data widget both installed. The data widget shows usage very close to the stock data app, so evidently stock is quite accurate. The minutes widget updates almost instantly after a call.
    I would never tell somebody else how they need to use their phone...if you need to be able to see the phone minutes you have left the second you hang up, meaning you need to have a widget on a home screen vs just launching the app later that day, then you should definitely use it that way. Just be careful with all that widget usage. If you end up loading your screens to heavily with widgets that are constantly updating themselves, you'll find yourself starting a "Why Does My Battery Life Suck?" thread.
    inthegalaxy likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I would never tell somebody else how they need to use their phone...if you need to be able to see the phone minutes you have left the second you hang up, meaning you need to have a widget on a home screen vs just launching the app later that day, then you should definitely use it that way. Just be careful with all that widget usage. If you end up loading your screens to heavily with widgets that are constantly updating themselves, you'll find yourself starting a "Why Does My Battery Life Suck?" thread.
    If there are update settings on the widget, it's all good.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I ended up installing My Data Manager. Seems to work well for me.
  15. #15  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,267 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyTC View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I ended up installing My Data Manager. Seems to work well for me.
    Ya it's great I use it to monitor my kids data usage. Works really well.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  
    Patrick Schroedl's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,698 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I would never tell somebody else how they need to use their phone...if you need to be able to see the phone minutes you have left the second you hang up, meaning you need to have a widget on a home screen vs just launching the app later that day, then you should definitely use it that way. Just be careful with all that widget usage. If you end up loading your screens to heavily with widgets that are constantly updating themselves, you'll find yourself starting a "Why Does My Battery Life Suck?" thread.
    While many widgets can indeed cause a sharp increase in battery usage, keep in mind that widgets don't always update on a set, timed basis. The T-Mobile plan minutes widget may very well be using the PhoneStateListener or TelephonyManager to recognize phone calls and update the widget shortly thereafter.

    Although they aren't mutually exclusive, a widget that always seems up-to-date doesn't necessarily constitute an over-updating or otherwise irresponsibly-updating widget.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    got to settings-->data usage. it can track data usage for wifi and carrier data.

    wifi data usage has to be checked in settings to be seen. they are hidden by default.

    settings-->data usage-->menu[3 dots on top right]-->check "show wifi usage".
    On my Nexus, with 4.2 "show wifi usage" is no longer an option. Also it has the cycle based on the past 28 days. That sucks because my cycle starts on the 11th. I cannot effectively track my usage within my cycle like I used to.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
    On my Nexus, with 4.2 "show wifi usage" is no longer an option. Also it has the cycle based on the past 28 days. That sucks because my cycle starts on the 11th. I cannot effectively track my usage within my cycle like I used to.
    DONT TROLL

    that option is available. maybe you are not looking at the right place.

    settings-->data usage-->[3 dots on top right] inline with data usage on top.
    "show wifi usage" is a checkbox.

    to change the cycle. enable data then on mobile "data usage cycle" dropdown there will be an option called change cycle(the last option).

    you have to have data enabled to change the cycle.

    Data Usage App-data-usage-graph-trim.png
  19. #19  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,267 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    DONT TROLL

    that option is available. maybe you are not looking at the right place.

    settings-->data usage-->[3 dots on top right] inline with data usage on top.
    "show wifi usage" is a checkbox.

    to change the cycle. enable data then on mobile "data usage cycle" dropdown there will be an option called change cycle(the last option).

    you have to have data enabled to change the cycle.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data-usage-graph-trim.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	57450
    Thanks for this. I was not aware of this feature. I don't need it but my kids have small data plans. :thumbup:

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    DONT TROLL

    that option is available. maybe you are not looking at the right place.

    settings-->data usage-->[3 dots on top right] inline with data usage on top.
    "show wifi usage" is a checkbox.

    to change the cycle. enable data then on mobile "data usage cycle" dropdown there will be an option called change cycle(the last option).

    you have to have data enabled to change the cycle.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data-usage-graph-trim.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	57450
    I am not trolling. Data enabled. Hit the menu/3dot button and get the following:
    Restrict background data
    Auto-sync data
    Mobile hot spots
    Help

    No more show wifi, and the dropdown doesn't give an option for change cycle anymore.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
    I am not trolling. Data enabled. Hit the menu/3dot button and get the following:
    Restrict background data
    Auto-sync data
    Mobile hot spots
    Help

    No more show wifi, and the dropdown doesn't give an option for change cycle anymore.
    interesting! can you post a screenshot with menu expanded? so that we can figure out whats going on!
    badbrad17 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Not a Nexus 4 (this is my Nexus 7), but I stumbled upon this thread researching a similar issue.

    Screenshot

    Option is gone in 4.2.1 (Rooted).
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyetm View Post
    Not a Nexus 4 (this is my Nexus 7), but I stumbled upon this thread researching a similar issue.

    Screenshot

    Option is gone in 4.2.1 (Rooted).
    seriously?? nexus 7 is a wifi only device and there is no data, wifi data usage is there by default so thats why that option is not there in the menu.

    the data usage graph on that image is the wifi usage. thats the case with any wifi only devices. AGAIN THAT'S NOT AN ISSUE AS YOU MENTIONED.

    I stumbled upon this thread researching a similar issue.
    what thread?? its an image. only dumb people will discuss this on nexus 7
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Here is a screenshot for the cycle drop down. Can't get a shot of the 3dot drop down right now.

    From the included one, you can see no option for setting cycle options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Data Usage App-uploadfromtaptalk1359147495431.jpg  
    bsmithy likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Data Usage App

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    seriously?? nexus 7 is a wifi only device and there is no data, wifi data usage is there by default so thats why that option is not there in the menu.

    the data usage graph on that image is the wifi usage. thats the case with any wifi only devices. AGAIN THAT'S NOT AN ISSUE AS YOU MENTIONED.

    what thread?? its an image. only dumb people will discuss this on nexus 7
    Not all Nexus 7s are WiFi only. They sell a model for use on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks. 32gb with hspa+ for $299. Launched back in October. Please at least fact check before ripping into someone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's the best data usage/monitor app?
    By btgrave in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
  2. App vs Browser battery/data usage
    By vyledust in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
  3. My Data Usage App
    By mattg56 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 12:13 AM
  4. Data Usage with Nook App
    By stuboy in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
  5. Sprint Data Usage App?
    By SethGko in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions