How do I change file associations?

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Someone sent me an excel spreadsheet today and I tried to open it on my phone. I chose to open it with Quick Office and I chose "Always" and it won't open the file. I think the other choice was Spreadsheet viewer. I also have the app Documents To Go. Is there any way to change the file association once you've chosen to use a certain app "Always?"

Thanks!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings, applications. Find the application and tap it. Then scroll down and hit clear defaults. The next time you try to open it, you will get the choices again

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I did that and used the option to open the file with Sheet to Go and it says it can't open the file because it's not a valid MS Excel 97 - 2011 file. When I open it on my computer in Excel, the properties show it is an Excel 97 - 2003 file. It has the .xls extension. I may have to send myself some test files and see if they will open on my phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah something seems off. I can open xls with doc to go I think, but I have been using Polaris for awhile so I could be wrong

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem seems to be with files sent from this one particular person. They open up on my computer fine, but not on my phone. I sent myself some .xls and .xlsx files and they opened up just fine. Must be a coding problem with those other files.