Nexus 4 getting too hot?

bob_tomatoes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I got my N4 this past Friday, haven't done anything except installing a few apps (like Dolphin, angry birds etc) from the Play store, no rooting or custom roms or anything like that. However, I've noticed that the phone still gets VERY got, upon installing a temperature monitoring app, it seems that the CPU is running at 50-59 degrees Celcius at certain times. WTF? should I RMA or is this normal?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I got my N4 this past Friday, haven't done anything except installing a few apps (like Dolphin, angry birds etc) from the Play store, no rooting or custom roms or anything like that. However, I've noticed that the phone still gets VERY got, upon installing a temperature monitoring app, it seems that the CPU is running at 50-59 degrees Celcius at certain times. WTF? should I RMA or is this normal?
It is normal. However I returned my N4 mostly because of the battery (it sucked) and overheating issue too. The Galaxy Nexus suffered from the same thing. It was overheating like crazy at the same upper part of the device. So yeah.... Its normal, if you want to keep this phone you gonna have to accept this fact. I didn't....

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would get a RMA. It shouldn't be running that hot. That's dangerously hot..

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is normal. However I returned my N4 mostly because of the battery (it sucked) and overheating issue too. The Galaxy Nexus suffered from the same thing. It was overheating like crazy at the same upper part of the device. So yeah.... Its normal, if you want to keep this phone you gonna have to accept this fact. I didn't....

normal for 50 C???? No way dude. 40 C is high enough for me and i've never reached it. When it gets past 100 F (whatever that is in celsius) is when you should worry unless maybe you were playing a graphics intensive game like shadowgun (your icon XD)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
normal for 50 C???? No way dude. 40 C is high enough for me and i've never reached it. When it gets past 100 F (whatever that is in celsius) is when you should worry unless maybe you were playing a graphics intensive game like shadowgun (your icon XD)

Well like i said it is "normal" or rather typical for the Nexus 4 and GNex. But it wasnt normal for me so i returned it and still using my iphone 4s which stays cool under almost any usage scenarios

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well like i said it is "normal" or rather typical for the Nexus 4 and GNex. But it wasnt normal for me so i returned it and still using my iphone 4s which stays cool under almost any usage scenarios

Was interpreting your sentence like that's what it does for all Nexus 4 and that is normal. Well it technically isn't normal, it is often though. You should've gotten a replacement device instead and see the battery on that one.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

that doesnt sound normal to me. i've never noticed mine getting hot at all. you should RMA it.

bob_tomatoes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
What is a normally acceptable temperature range? It seems that if I just leave it alone for a while, it seems to just idle at 30-35 degrees Celcius or so

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
that doesnt sound normal to me. i've never noticed mine getting hot at all. you should RMA it.

Really....? Wow... Then I must've been very unlucky with all my Nexus units (2 Gnex-s and 1 N4) because all of them were getting extremely hot you could fry an egg on it.

pugnuttt

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure this app is accurate? It says my phone is 107 degreesF and I just felt it and it's not hot at all. I would hate to know what it reads when it does feel hot.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I use setcpu, its not for battery but its good i think. I never feel my phone is warm if the temperature stated is at room or a little above

Sent from my Nexus 4