1. RxRex's Avatar
    I've only owned Nexus devices. My last was a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I currently use a Nexus 4.

    Why is it that there is specific lag in the widgets drawer? What causes this? As fast and smooth as the Nexus 4 is system wide, the lag in the widgets drawer is a constant.
    01-20-2013 05:44 PM
  2. Hubertsng's Avatar
    Are you using a launcher or flashed a rom? I haven't noticed this except at time because i've underclocked to 500.
    01-20-2013 06:02 PM
  3. Lanhoj's Avatar
    I've found no lag whatsoever in the Widgets tab using the default Launcher as well as Nova Launcher Prime running on my stock N4.
    01-20-2013 06:06 PM
  4. greydarrah's Avatar
    I don't see this either...smooth as silk everywhere. The only time I ever see lag on this phone is if I try to do stuff while the phone is in the middle of updating apps, and I would expect that.
    01-20-2013 06:13 PM
  5. Rizy7's Avatar
    I have some lag as well when I get to the widget section. This happens both on stock launcher and apex launcher for me as well
    01-20-2013 06:26 PM
  6. Citizen Coyote's Avatar
    I have some lag as well when I get to the widget section. This happens both on stock launcher and apex launcher for me as well
    It's there for me but it's so minimal I'm not convinced it's just a trick of the mind caused by how the N4 pops widgets on screen as you scroll. Either way, it doesn't matter to me.
    01-20-2013 06:32 PM
  7. still1's Avatar
    I've only owned Nexus devices. My last was a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I currently use a Nexus 4.

    Why is it that there is specific lag in the widgets drawer? What causes this? As fast and smooth as the Nexus 4 is system wide, the lag in the widgets drawer is a constant.
    like everyone one have mentioned above me there is no lag when you swipe normally. only if you swipe it 10 times faster than normal you have a small lag.
    I have seen it as well.
    in fact its not a lag(maybe it is) widget screenshots are not cached and every time you swipe the widgets section the screenshots are rendered in real time.
    I think google should do something about it. In samsung touchwiz phones, samsung did a very good job in caching the widget and its smooth.
    01-20-2013 06:35 PM
  8. RxRex's Avatar
    Are you using a launcher or flashed a rom? I haven't noticed this except at time because i've underclocked to 500.
    No launcher, no rom. I noticed this on the Galaxy Nexus as well and ignored it as growing pains of the transition to ICS. With the introduction of Project Butter along with the Nexus 4's internals, I expected it was banished. It isn't. It's very obvious. It doesn't require I swipe fast either. App drawer is silk at all times though.
    01-20-2013 07:19 PM
  9. mycrownvic02#WN's Avatar
    like everyone one have mentioned above me there is no lag when you swipe normally. only if you swipe it 10 times faster than normal you have a small lag.
    I have seen it as well.
    in fact its not a lag(maybe it is) widget screenshots are not cached and every time you swipe the widgets section the screenshots are rendered in real time.
    I think google should do something about it. In samsung touchwiz phones, samsung did a very good job in caching the widget and its smooth.
    I've been getting lag in the app drawer as well. Seems daily on my device. Especially after I play a game, or listen to music for an extended period. Makes me want to do an rma, even if its just sw related.
    01-20-2013 07:55 PM
  10. still1's Avatar
    I've been getting lag in the app drawer as well. Seems daily on my device. Especially after I play a game, or listen to music for an extended period. Makes me want to do an rma, even if its just sw related.
    I dont have a lag on app drawer. its just on widgets and only when you swipe really really fast(which no one ever do that)
    so i think i am fine.
    01-20-2013 08:38 PM
  11. mycrownvic02#WN's Avatar
    I dont have a lag on app drawer. its just on widgets and only when you swipe really really fast(which no one ever do that)
    so i think i am fine.
    It still shouldnt do that. My galaxy nexus never did this. Google has some kinks to work out.
    01-20-2013 08:41 PM
  12. Lanhoj's Avatar
    It still shouldnt do that. My galaxy nexus never did this. Google has some kinks to work out.
    You kidding?
    My GNex was much laggier even simple tasks of opening WhatsApp while streaming music.
    My N4 doesn't lag at all under normal User circumstances.
    01-20-2013 08:53 PM
  13. mycrownvic02#WN's Avatar
    You kidding?
    My GNex was much laggier even to the point of opening WhatsApp while streaming music.
    My N4 doesn't lag at all under normal User circumstances.
    No, im not kidding. Of course the nexus 4 runs much smoother overall, but in my app drawer/ widgets section, not so much... Its especially noticeable after light gaming or music streaming. It goes away after a reboot, but that defeats the purpose... This was of course on 4.1 with the Galaxy Nexus.
    01-20-2013 09:06 PM
  14. KwietStorm's Avatar
    I only infrequently notice slight lag when quickly swiping from the last app page to the first page of widgets. Its minimal and pretty much irrelevant. I'm guessing it happens because it doesn't load the widgets together with the apps, or because the actual widget shortcuts are not compiled the same way.
    01-20-2013 11:13 PM
  15. mycrownvic02#WN's Avatar
    I only infrequently notice slight lag when quickly swiping from the last app page to the first page of widgets. Its minimal and pretty much irrelevant. I'm guessing it happens because it doesn't load the widgets together with the apps, or because the actual widget shortcuts are not compiled the same way.
    Put some stress on the processor. Play a game for 10 or 15 minutes, then try it. Once the phone starts heating up, the lag gets noticeably worse. The lag is terrible when it heats up. The widget/ app drawer is the only lag I notice on the phone, minus a chrome hiccup every now and then. Hopefully they fix this issue.
    01-21-2013 08:25 AM
  16. teleclimber's Avatar
    only if you swipe it 10 times faster than normal you have a small lag.
    And you want them to fix this? I saw it too on my N4, by swiping the widgets so fast that I couldn't see what I was doing anymore.

    This whole obsession with lag is getting absurd. Any little hiccup anywhere and people start crying.

    Here's the thing: no computing device will be 100% lag free, given the current paradigm of hardware/software design. My 2011 iMac with 12 gigs of RAM lags and stutters more than my N4. The homescreen on an i*5 is far less pleasant to swipe around than my N4.

    i* owners don't see their devices lagging because nobody complains about lag on those devices. But they do lag, trust me. It's just that it doesn't register in the user's mind, or they quickly relegate it as a fluke. They don't have a reputation for lagging so they "get a pass" even when they hiccup.

    Unfortunately, Android has developed a reputation for lagging (possibly well-deserved as a result of pre-JB issues). So now we are hyper-sensitive to lag. Any little bump in scrolling makes us self-conscious about the device we are holding. And we want that feeling to go away. Fine, I understand.

    But please people, get a grip. We are not at a point in technology where devices are going to run absolutely lag-free. Hardware maxes out, and there will always be bugs.

    The N4/Android 4.2 combination is absolutely amazing. It is 98% lag-free in my experience. The remaining 2% is just a friendly reminder of the incredibly hard work it takes to make hardware and software work this well.

    //end rant
    gone down south likes this.
    01-21-2013 12:34 PM
  17. mycrownvic02#WN's Avatar
    And you want them to fix this? I saw it too on my N4, by swiping the widgets so fast that I couldn't see what I was doing anymore.

    This whole obsession with lag is getting absurd. Any little hiccup anywhere and people start crying.

    Here's the thing: no computing device will be 100% lag free, given the current paradigm of hardware/software design. My 2011 iMac with 12 gigs of RAM lags and stutters more than my N4. The homescreen on an i*5 is far less pleasant to swipe around than my N4.

    i* owners don't see their devices lagging because nobody complains about lag on those devices. But they do lag, trust me. It's just that it doesn't register in the user's mind, or they quickly relegate it as a fluke. They don't have a reputation for lagging so they "get a pass" even when they hiccup.

    Unfortunately, Android has developed a reputation for lagging (possibly well-deserved as a result of pre-JB issues). So now we are hyper-sensitive to lag. Any little bump in scrolling makes us self-conscious about the device we are holding. And we want that feeling to go away. Fine, I understand.

    But please people, get a grip. We are not at a point in technology where devices are going to run absolutely lag-free. Hardware maxes out, and there will always be bugs.

    The N4/Android 4.2 combination is absolutely amazing. It is 98% lag-free in my experience. The remaining 2% is just a friendly reminder of the incredibly hard work it takes to make hardware and software work this well.

    //end rant
    Like I stated, the lag is is pretty bad when the device heats up, which its easy to heat up the nexus. Its not a minor lag, its significant, at least when the phone warms up from simple day to day tasks. I don't care about apple, or your findings with your i7 or i5 laptops. I'm speaking on behalf of my phone. Yes everything lags at some point, but multiple times every day?

    I'm still happy with my nexus, as its still the fastest and smoothest android phone. They still have some kinks to iron out on 4.2, and the nexus.
    DeadpoolJunior likes this.
    01-21-2013 01:35 PM
  18. still1's Avatar
    And you want them to fix this? I saw it too on my N4, by swiping the widgets so fast that I couldn't see what I was doing anymore.

    This whole obsession with lag is getting absurd. Any little hiccup anywhere and people start crying.

    Here's the thing: no computing device will be 100% lag free, given the current paradigm of hardware/software design. My 2011 iMac with 12 gigs of RAM lags and stutters more than my N4. The homescreen on an i*5 is far less pleasant to swipe around than my N4.

    i* owners don't see their devices lagging because nobody complains about lag on those devices. But they do lag, trust me. It's just that it doesn't register in the user's mind, or they quickly relegate it as a fluke. They don't have a reputation for lagging so they "get a pass" even when they hiccup.

    Unfortunately, Android has developed a reputation for lagging (possibly well-deserved as a result of pre-JB issues). So now we are hyper-sensitive to lag. Any little bump in scrolling makes us self-conscious about the device we are holding. And we want that feeling to go away. Fine, I understand.

    But please people, get a grip. We are not at a point in technology where devices are going to run absolutely lag-free. Hardware maxes out, and there will always be bugs.

    The N4/Android 4.2 combination is absolutely amazing. It is 98% lag-free in my experience. The remaining 2% is just a friendly reminder of the incredibly hard work it takes to make hardware and software work this well.

    //end rant
    not that the lag matters to me. i am fine with it but I want Android to be the best and lag free just to shut up ifans and windows fans.
    Jelly Bean is the first huge steps toward that. I want people to stop complain about Android lag by making it better.
    01-21-2013 03:00 PM
  19. DeadpoolJunior's Avatar
    I made a thread before about a specific lag I get on the homescreen when EVERYTHING lags. Scrolling through homescreen lags, opening folders lags, and opening apps lags. The apps themselves won't lag but nothing stops the lag on the homescreen except maybe time and restarting the device. This may be due to the heating but I'm not sure what causes it. Sometimes it happens twice in a day, and sometimes once in a few weeks (just happened to me today after not happening for well over a few weeks). It happens though for whatever reason, but its something I can live with.

    Never experience lag in the widget drawer though.
    01-22-2013 04:32 PM
  20. Michael Duran's Avatar
    I too noticed considerable lag Ijs the app drawer after a few days of using it, and it seemed to Worden the longer I had my nexus. I also noticed that sometimes when I pressed the power button from screen off only the backlight would turn on, and I'd have to wait a few seconds to see the actual contents of my screen. however, I believe I've found the solution. I'd installed a task killer in hopes of making my nexus as speedy as possible, but really it was killing apps that kept my system running and when it killed all the others' the widgets would become irresponsive and my all drawer would suffer from that lag. after uninstalling it, my device has run considerably smoother from head to toe. I actually installed another ram optimizer called Memory Booster Lite. After white listing(making apps immune to the task killer) important and most often used apps, my phone became blazing fast after just a couple days. The whitelist has never worked on any other ram booster apps but this one keeps my phone running extremely fast, even with a battery booster and a live wallpaper running.
    04-01-2013 03:20 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 10 wake up lag issue
    By Spencer Lipp in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  3. Nexus 7 lag
    By Sauceboy25 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 07:44 PM
  4. Nexus 7 lag problems
    By Sauceboy25 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM
  5. Zero Lag native to ICS not Galaxy Nexus?
    By geronimo51 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD