Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wx27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Default straight talk (tmobile) + google voice

Does anyone here use straight talk (tmobile) and google voice? If so, does it work properly when dialing out?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Im interested in straight talk (tmobile) not the at&t version.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Re: straight talk (tmobile) + google voice

I have an N4 on ST-TM plus google voice. When I dial out, CID shows my GV # to the call recipient, nothing special needed when calling.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wx27 View Post
    I have an N4 on ST-TM plus google voice. When I dial out, CID shows my GV # to the call recipient, nothing special needed when calling.
    Did you turn off straight talk voicemail?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Do you use Google voice for voicemail?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I have not yet turned off ST voicemail so only those people calling my GV # will get my GV vmail right now.
    My ST # is one I ported from Verizon and the majority of my contacts have that one. A few have my GV #.
    I should just deactivate ST voicemail and inform everyone to use my GV# only.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I have not yet turned off ST voicemail so only those people calling my GV # will get my GV vmail right now.
    My ST # is one I ported from Verizon and the majority of my contacts have that one. A few have my GV #.
    I should just deactivate ST voicemail and inform everyone to use my GV# only.
    Is straight talk 45 + tax or 45 all in?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Is straight talk 45 + tax or 45 all in?

45+tax, unless you find places online that sell them and give you codes through email. I've read that having a "shipping address" for these sites to be in certain states avoids getting taxed. I'm on my first month of ST so I can't speak more to that yet.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

45+tax, unless you find places online that sell them and give you codes through email. I've read that having a "shipping address" for these sites to be in certain states avoids getting taxed. I'm on my first month of ST so I can't speak more to that yet.
    When people call your Google voice does it pick up properly and if so how many rings? Does your straight talk voicemail interfere with it?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

When people call your Google voice does it pick up properly and if so how many rings? Does your straight talk voicemail interfere with it?

I can't speak to how many rings as I've only done tests with one person so far. I've only had one time where the ST voicemail picked up first.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I can't speak to how many rings as I've only done tests with one person so far. I've only had one time where the ST voicemail picked up first.
    Do you plan to try and cut off straight talk voicemail?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Do you plan to try and cut off straight talk voicemail?

I probably should. Optimally I do that and broadcast my GV number to all my contacts. Do you plan to go this route?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I probably should. Optimally I do that and broadcast my GV number to all my contacts. Do you plan to go this route?
    Yes, the problem is that people have issues with turning off the voicemail with straight talk. I don't give out my sim number to anyone.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I've just put in a call to ST to attempt to cancel vmail, though got the typical we'll call you back in a half hour. I'll keep you posted on how that goes...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I've just put in a call to ST to attempt to cancel vmail, though got the typical we'll call you back in a half hour. I'll keep you posted on how that goes...
    Excellent. Please me know.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Cancel vmail = call them and had it get reset and just not call my vmail again to do any setup.

As for call timing, friend calls my GV #, says it rang 5 times plus a short pause and then hit google vmail. Total about 30 seconds they said. On my side, I clocked my ringtone duration at 27 seconds.
    Hope this helps.

BTW, if you ever need to call ST customer service from the ST sim-ed phone, you will have to do it direct without google voice. I placed the call and got an alert from GV that the call couldn't go through and it gave me the option to route the call direct, which worked fine.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Cancel vmail = call them and had it get reset and just not call my vmail again to do any setup.

As for call timing, friend calls my GV #, says it rang 5 times plus a short pause and then hit google vmail. Total about 30 seconds they said. On my side, I clocked my ringtone duration at 27 seconds.
    Hope this helps.

BTW, if you ever need to call ST customer service from the ST sim-ed phone, you will have to do it direct without google voice. I placed the call and got an alert from GV that the call couldn't go through and it gave me the option to route the call direct, which worked fine.
    How difficult was it for you to get that voicemail off?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Simple call to ST. There's always a wait, so I opted for them to ring me back after the 30+ min wait they quoted. About 40 minutes later, I got the callback and connected with a CSR, who was able to reset my voicemail fairly quickly after I confirmed one of my security questions on the account.
    Hopefully you'll be as lucky. Actually, if you switch to ST-TM, don't call into your ST vmail to do any setup and call your GV # from another phone to check the behavior of unanswered calls. It might work fine to start.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Simple call to ST. There's always a wait, so I opted for them to ring me back after the 30+ min wait they quoted. About 40 minutes later, I got the callback and connected with a CSR, who was able to reset my voicemail fairly quickly after I confirmed one of my security questions on the account.
    Hopefully you'll be as lucky. Actually, if you switch to ST-TM, don't call into your ST vmail to do any setup and call your GV # from another phone to check the behavior of unanswered calls. It might work fine to start.
    OK fantastic to know. Very helpful. Thanks.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts

Great post. Very helpful. Thanks you all.

I had a GV question if any could kindly answer. When you make outgoing calls on your ST phone, how do you do it so the person your calling sees your GV #? Is there some way to do it automatically so you don't have call GV first?

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Great post. Very helpful. Thanks you all.

I had a GV question if any could kindly answer. When you make outgoing calls on your ST phone, how do you do it so the person your calling sees your GV #? Is there some way to do it automatically so you don't have call GV first?

Thanks in advance.
    Install the GV app on the phone.
    Then in the app settings, for "Making calls" you can select "Use Google Voice to make all calls" or "Ask every time I make a call" if you want the option to go through the SIM #.
    Finally, if you want to send text messages to another Google Voice user and want the caller ID to reflect your GV #, go to voice.google.com in a browser, settings, Calls, Caller ID (outgoing), Display my GV #.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.

Quick question wx27... When someone calls your sim number and you don't Answer, does the call forward to your Google Voicemail now that your T-Mobile voicemail is deactivated?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stikman72 View Post
    Quick question wx27... When someone calls your sim number and you don't Answer, does the call forward to your Google Voicemail now that your T-Mobile voicemail is deactivated?
    Well in theory with this setup, no one knows your sim number and they all call the google voice number. But if someone did call the sim number, it will just keep ringing since there is no T-mobile voicemail and no conditional call forwarding available.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikman72 View Post
    When someone calls your sim number and you don't Answer, does the call forward to your Google Voicemail now that your T-Mobile voicemail is deactivated?
    As an FYI, Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO) does support conditional call forwarding. It might be worth considering if you don't have your heart set on Straight Talk. Calls to my sim and calls to my GV number all go to GV voicemail. Voicemail picks up after about 4 rings in either case.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Well in theory with this setup, no one knows your sim number and they all call the google voice number. But if someone did call the sim number, it will just keep ringing since there is no T-mobile voicemail and no conditional call forwarding available.
    I had my ST VM reset. When I call it, it is indeed reset. However, I still occasionally get vm messages and the indicator on my phone (no one has my ST #). I can't check the messages since I don't have the VM setup. I don't believe they actually shut off the ST VM. Just reset it. It does work for me almost all the time. I can't figure out when/how some people get the ST VM. Very aggravating as I have to setup the VM to get the msg, then call ST and have them reset it again or ignore the VM which is dangerous.

I am seriously considering going to ATT sim on ST. I believe TMO is much faster/better in Chicago, but this VM thing bothers me.

I also can't reject/ignore calls (slide to the red circle when a call comes in)...always goes to ST VM.