Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Nexus 4 OEM USB Cable

I have been having a problem with my Nexus 4 jumping between AC and USB charging while using the supplied Wall Plug and Cable. I originally thought the wall plug was the problem so I got an exact replacement from Best Buy Mobile (OEM Part Number LG MCS-01WR).

The problem continued with the replacement charger and the original USB cable. I then figured it may be a good idea to look at the cable next. Then I noticed something I think is strange. Micro USB usually has 5 gold pins and the Nexus 4 OEM cable is missing pin number 4 (looking left to right). From what I understand that missing pin is what identifies the phone to whatever it is connected to.

Does everyone have a cable that is missing this Pin?

Default Re: Nexus 4 OEM USB Cable

My cable looks exactly as you described, but is functioning properly.
    Thanked by:
    sjsmr2 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Anyone else having issues with the OEM cable? A post on XDA brings up a good point about this being a $300 phone and that the charger and cable may not be the highest quality.

This can be caused by a faulty microUSB port or charging circuit on the device itself. If not that, it's likely the charger as opposed to the cable. I've seen this a few times and just recently dealt with it on a Galaxy Nexus. The cables were not the cause in any instance.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsmr2 View Post
    I have been having a problem with my Nexus 4 jumping between AC and USB charging while using the supplied Wall Plug and Cable. I originally thought the wall plug was the problem so I got an exact replacement from Best Buy Mobile (OEM Part Number LG MCS-01WR).

The problem continued with the replacement charger and the original USB cable. I then figured it may be a good idea to look at the cable next. Then I noticed something I think is strange. Micro USB usually has 5 gold pins and the Nexus 4 OEM cable is missing pin number 4 (looking left to right). From what I understand that missing pin is what identifies the phone to whatever it is connected to.

Does everyone have a cable that is missing this Pin?
    I would like to get this from best buy, but their website doesn't show it anywhere?. LG MCS-01WR
    Can you send me a link? Do they have the same usb cable?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

I didn't get one on their website. I went into the store and explained my problem (Google wanting to RMA the whole phone for a problem with the charger) and asked if they could swap out my charger. They will do it if they have had any LG Optimus G phones or LG Lucid phones get returned recently. Those devices use the same charger. Hope this helps.