Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Will1524
  • 6 Post By greydarrah
  • 1 Post By SeniorAlex
  • 1 Post By piizzadude
  • 1 Post By taylorz_412
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Are all android phones made "alike"?

    I'm going to get my first smartphone. I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an android based phone since I own a Nexus7 tablet (my first tablet). I use a lot of Google stuff (gmail, picasa, drive, calendar, etc). Can any android-based phone can access my G accounts like the Nexus 7, or is the Nexus 4 the most suitable to access my accounts?

    Also, I'm heavily into digital photography and not sure about the quality of the Nexus 4 images. That's why I'm also considering an iPhone or one made by Nokia.

    As an aside, the phone camera will not replace my advanced compact digital camera but I'd like one that produces images at or near the highest quality currently available in smartphones.

    Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    You don't have to worry about syncing you G accounts with any android device.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Almost any Android Phone with cover your needs as far as Google services and so will the iphone but I recommend a galaxy s3 or a galaxy note 2 if you want something android with a great camera

    sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    As for camera on android think Samsung is your best bet i think...

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    I'm going to get my first smartphone. I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an android based phone since I own a Nexus7 tablet (my first tablet). I use a lot of Google stuff (gmail, picasa, drive, calendar, etc). Can any android-based phone can access my G accounts like the Nexus 7, or is the Nexus 4 the most suitable to access my accounts?

    Also, I'm heavily into digital photography and not sure about the quality of the Nexus 4 images. That's why I'm also considering an iPhone or one made by Nokia.

    As an aside, the phone camera will not replace my advanced compact digital camera but I'd like one that produces images at or near the highest quality currently available in smartphones.

    Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.
    ALL android phones will be able to access your specific google accounts. I think that Android would be a great choice in your situation considering you already have a N7. If you are really enjoying pure android on the N7 then I would personally go with the N4. But remember Nexus devices are always based largely on the software and the cameras have always been subpar to other OEM's. If a camera is a HUGE part of your choice I would probably go with the HTC OneX+ or one of the new Sony flagships. Both are known to have exceptional cameras. You did say that you would still rely on a digital camera, therefore in your situation I would go with the N4 due to price, future support and your familiararity with the absolute same OS as the N7. Good Luck

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    tabletnovice likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    If you want google service to be synced the best phone would be Nexus 4. not that other phones wont work but they will be left behind on some services like backups etc.
    for example contact pics syncing had a bug which is improved on 4.2. so any 4.1 devices wont have the contacts pics synced in HD.

    also, some problem with other is they replace many apps made by google for example calendar/Gallery etc
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    If you're " heavily into digital photography," then you know that no phone, with it's tiny little lens and sensor can come close to the quality and control you have with a real camera. My experience, and I'm a photographer by trade, is that all cell phone cameras are intended to quickly and conveniently capture a moment, so it's not lost/forgotten. The differences between one phones camera and another are small, but they do exist. If you have a steady hand, can compose a good shot, understand that phone cameras have no lens shade so they have issues with glare (fixed by creating shade over the lens with your free hand), you can take good images with them all. There are some great apps out there like ShotControl that can help improve things immensely. If you go to any of the forum sections for any of the phones, and look through the sticky thread about "Photos taken with your ..." you'll find great shots and terrible shots for every single phone out there. They are all capable of taking adequate images, so I would never choose a phone based on it's camera...but that's just me.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  8. #8  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    if camera is a big deal to you then you should probably look elsewhere. camera on nexus 4 is alright but definitely not the best.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    I'm going to get my first smartphone. I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an android based phone since I own a Nexus7 tablet (my first tablet). I use a lot of Google stuff (gmail, picasa, drive, calendar, etc). Can any android-based phone can access my G accounts like the Nexus 7, or is the Nexus 4 the most suitable to access my accounts?

    Also, I'm heavily into digital photography and not sure about the quality of the Nexus 4 images. That's why I'm also considering an iPhone or one made by Nokia.

    As an aside, the phone camera will not replace my advanced compact digital camera but I'd like one that produces images at or near the highest quality currently available in smartphones.

    Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi tabletnovice,

    I too am heavily into photography and have a Canon 7D and several 'L' lenses. I mainly cover studio portraits and although I have an HTC Desire smartphone, which gives good images on display, but no mobile phone will do as well as a DSLR in the right hands. I am now looking for a 10" Android tablet to give my images a more professional showing. The tablet can also be used to tether to the camera or work via Wi-Fi and show images on the tablet within seconds of being taken. Far better than looking at the small LCD screen and in my opinion, the 7" is not large enough if you want to show your photographs to their best quality.

    Looking possibly at the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700, although not sure yet.

    Alex
    Thanked by:
    tabletnovice likes this.
  10. #10  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    1,154 Posts
    ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    If you're " heavily into digital photography," then you know that no phone, with it's tiny little lens and sensor can come close to the quality and control you have with a real camera. My experience, and I'm a photographer by trade, is that all cell phone cameras are intended to quickly and conveniently capture a moment, so it's not lost/forgotten. The differences between one phones camera and another are small, but they do exist. If you have a steady hand, can compose a good shot, understand that phone cameras have no lens shade so they have issues with glare (fixed by creating shade over the lens with your free hand), you can take good images with them all. There are some great apps out there like ShotControl that can help improve things immensely. If you go to any of the forum sections for any of the phones, and look through the sticky thread about "Photos taken with your ..." you'll find great shots and terrible shots for every single phone out there. They are all capable of taking adequate images, so I would never choose a phone based on it's camera...but that's just me.
    This. The man speaks wisdom. A skilled photographer can get good looking shots out of almost any camera. A quality camera on your phone is always a plus, but it won't be the deciding factor in how good your shots look.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorAlex View Post
    Hi tabletnovice,

    I too am heavily into photography and have a Canon 7D and several 'L' lenses. I mainly cover studio portraits and although I have an HTC Desire smartphone, which gives good images on display, but no mobile phone will do as well as a DSLR in the right hands. I am now looking for a 10" Android tablet to give my images a more professional showing. The tablet can also be used to tether to the camera or work via Wi-Fi and show images on the tablet within seconds of being taken. Far better than looking at the small LCD screen and in my opinion, the 7" is not large enough if you want to show your photographs to their best quality.

    Looking possibly at the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700, although not sure yet.
    If you want to stick with Android for this (as opposed to an iPad, which are arguably excellent photo display devices), also take a look at the Nexus 10. Gorgeous screen and stock Android! Of course, that's assuming you can find one in stock.
    Thanked by 2:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Citizen Coyote,

    thanks for the reply. I have looked at it and appreciate it has a great screen, but prefer to have additional size with the USB and SSD. Next step will be to try and get to see one working. If there are any owners in the Midlands area of the UK, I would appreciate a chat!

    Alex
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    Almost any Android Phone with cover your needs as far as Google services and so will the iphone but I recommend a galaxy s3 or a galaxy note 2 if you want something android with a great camera
    Will the apps I've purchased/installed be usable on any Android-based phone? Or can I only access them on one Android device (ie. my Nexus 7)?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Will the apps I've purchased/installed be usable on any Android-based phone? Or can I only access them on one Android device (ie. my Nexus 7)?
    They will work on any Android phone you sign in to (your gmail account).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Will the apps I've purchased/installed be usable on any Android-based phone? Or can I only access them on one Android device (ie. my Nexus 7)?
    Yes any device you sign in with Gmail will allow you to download all previously downloaded and purchased items on any Android device

    sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    The HTC One X (or HTC One X+ if you want 64gb storage and slightly better specs at more money) has an excellent camera and is another android phone worth checking out.

    I have a Lumia 920 in addition to my nexus 4 and LOVE the camera on it. Low-light shots are superb, and yes there is a bit of softness for daytime photos (tho less since some recent updates), but I still think other strengths outweigh that and it is one of the best cell phone cameras out there. It's an entirely different ecosystem though. I really like Windows Phone myself, and while it's easy enough to use your Google mail it'll be a lot more limited in that regard than an Android phone for using other Google services.

    If the camera outweighs all else then the Lumia is worth looking into, but if Google services and tighter integration with your nexus 7 is important then stick with an Android device. For me personally the 'pure' nature and always-immediate updates of a nexus phone are wonderful so it would take an extraordinary phone for me to move away from that in the future.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    No they are not all compatible, but 99% are. Sometimes a particular phone cannot handle the graphics or are incompatible with the version of android you are on.

    Like I said, 99% of the time this isn't an issue and the apps will be compatible with any phone

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by 2:
    taylorz_412 likes this.
  17. #17  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    No they are not all compatible, but 99% are. Sometimes a particular phone cannot handle the graphics or are incompatible with the version of android you are on.

    Like I said, 99% of the time this isn't an issue and the apps will be compatible with any phone

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Yeah what he said just don't get something below android 4.0

    sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    If it's Android, you've got complete synchronization with you account, no matter what device you get. It's one of the things that holds our diverse ecosystem together.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Not if your part of the google verse. The integration is a bit better on android

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will1524 View Post
    But remember Nexus devices are always based largely on the software and the cameras have always been subpar to other OEM's.
    I wonder it I have to worry about all this compatibility. As far as I understand, the iPhone has a much better camera than the N4. Plus, everyone in my family has an iPhone (or Mac) except me, and I can Facetime with them. Yes, facetime is something I'd like to do with my grandchildren!

    Still, I'll like to be able to access my google accounts such as mail, drive and calendar. I don't know if this is possible on an iPhone.
  21. #21  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    I wonder it I have to worry about all this compatibility. As far as I understand, the iPhone has a much better camera than the N4. Plus, everyone in my family has an iPhone (or Mac) except me, and I can Facetime with them. Yes, facetime is something I'd like to do with my grandchildren!

    Still, I'll like to be able to access my google accounts such as mail, drive and calendar. I don't know if this is possible on an iPhone.
    You can access all those Google accounts on the iphone... If the iphone fits in your life better there's nothing wrong with that I have had the 4, 4s, and 5 all of them were good just android suits*me* better.

    sent via VZW GaLaXy note II
    Thanked by:
    tabletnovice likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    If the iphone fits in your life better there's nothing wrong with that I have had the 4, 4s, and 5
    Any opinion as to which of the three iPhones take better photos? Thank you.
  23. #23  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Are all android phones made "alike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Any opinion as to which of the three iPhones take better photos? Thank you.
    Definitely the iphone 5 best phone camera I have ever used

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Netflix now for all android phones
    By vicvon in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 05:36 AM
  2. Are any Android phones designed to work w. a charging POD?
    By Mikethaler in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
  3. Are all android phones this bad?
    By kingsden in forum Motorola Droid 3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 04:27 AM
  4. are all apps available for all android phones?
    By kirksucks in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
  5. Why are all upcoming phones 4.3"?
    By Snareman in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions