Is it possible to have two phones on the same TMobile prepaid account?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Can I put two different phones (and SIMs) on the same prepaid TMobile account? Can you do this on any carriers?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can I put two different phones (and SIMs) on the same prepaid TMobile account? Can you do this on any carriers?

On the same account, you should be able to. On the same line, however, you cannot. T-Mobile doesn't offer shared prepaid lines.

Verizon offers "share everything" plans, under which data, talk, and text are all shared among devices on said plan (in this scenario, one plan is applied to multiple lines within a single account). AT&T offers shared data plans (in which multiple lines under a single account share a data plan, but all have separate plans and usage quotas for talk and text). Neither Verizon nor AT&T offer these plans off-contract, however.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are we talking about two different phones sharing the same number? Like a beater phone you take to your job as a carpenter and a fancy phone you use when you dress up for a night on the town? No; the only way to make this work would be to swap the SIM card between phones as needed.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
On the same account, you should be able to. On the same line, however, you cannot. T-Mobile doesn't offer shared prepaid lines.

Verizon offers "share everything" plans, under which data, talk, and text are all shared among devices on said plan (in this scenario, one plan is applied to multiple lines within a single account). AT&T offers shared data plans (in which multiple lines under a single account share a data plan, but all have separate plans and usage quotas for talk and text). Neither Verizon nor AT&T offer these plans off-contract, however.

How would the same account work?

I want to have two phone numbers but share the $30/month plan.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Your account can have as many phones, each with their own number, as you want; but you have to pay a separate $30/month for each phone, you can't have multiple numbers sharing the one $30/month plan.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
How would the same account work?

I want to have two phone numbers but share the $30/month plan.

Your account can have as many phones, each with their own number, as you want; but you have to pay a separate $30/month for each phone, you can't have multiple numbers sharing the one $30/month plan.

What karmamule said. Keep in mind that accounts, lines, and plans are different. A decent way of understanding it is this:

Your account is tied to the name of the account owner, and has a payment method assigned to it. A line is always device-specific, you cannot have more than one device per line. There is a line for every device in your account. A plan is a package that determines what allowances of voice, text, and data a line is given. "Shared" packages (whether it be shared voice, shared text, or shared data) can be applied to more than one line under the same account. For example, Verizon's "share everything" plans allow, say, three phones (three lines) under the same account to draw from the same pool of voice, text, and data. You could then add a fourth phone (fourth line) with its own individual (non-shared) plan. At that point, there is one account, two plans (one shared, one individual), and four lines (three under the shared plan, and the one with its own plan).

No carriers offer any sort of shared plans off-contract (pre-paid/post-paid monthly plans). Verizon offers "share everything" plans which cover voice, text, and data for multiple lines. AT&T offers shared data plans for multiple lines, but does not offer shared voice or text plans as far as I know.

osxaddict

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I've got two phones on TMO that were ported from AT&T about a week ago.. When I activated the 2nd phone I specifically asked if I could have the 2nd phone on the same account when talking to a TMO rep on the phone and was told 'no'. I've got an account and can login and it indicates "phones : 1" or something like that.. I'd like to see both phones so I don't have to keep two separate login's and pay twice instead of ponying up $60/mo for both $30 prepaid plans.. Anyone know if that is possible after the fact?

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've got two phones on TMO that were ported from AT&T about a week ago.. When I activated the 2nd phone I specifically asked if I could have the 2nd phone on the same account when talking to a TMO rep on the phone and was told 'no'. I've got an account and can login and it indicates "phones : 1" or something like that.. I'd like to see both phones so I don't have to keep two separate login's and pay twice instead of ponying up $60/mo for both $30 prepaid plans.. Anyone know if that is possible after the fact?

It's not even possible before the fact. T-Mobile prepaid accounts are one line only. You can have multiple postpaid lines on one account, but prepaid doesn't give you a way to do that. The "My Account" shows the number of lines because it's the same website that T-Mobile postpaid customers use, though a lot of features like call logs are missing for prepaid. Unfortunately, you'll have to keep two logins and pay separately, though you can set as many accounts as you want to autopay from the same card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc