Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4: Overnight charging freezes phone

I'm used to charging my phone overnight and did this without a problem with my HTC Desire HD but if I charge my Nexus 4 overnight, in the morning the screen is black and nothing wakes up (except the blue notification light if I have mail). The only thing I can do is hold the power button in for 30 seconds or so until it re-boots. Sometimes the battery icon fills the screen when I do this.

Is it possible to overcharge a battery? Am I wrong to charge overnight?

Is this a known issue?

Help!

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Default Re: Overnight charging freezes phone

I've never heard of this happening. Try enabling daydream mode (Settings -> Display -> Daydream) for charging and see if it's still frozen in the morning (might want to put something over the phone to hide the screen, unless you like nightlights).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks Citizen Coyote. Since posting this I found this thread which I think describes what's happening with my phone.

Nexus 4 keeps turning off even when charging?

It's a long-shot, but if you have any sort of screen protector covering the proximity sensor (top left corner of screen; two small circles), don't do that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Only the screen protector that came with the phone. I can't see any circles top left corner.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Oh yes, just found them. The screen protector has a cut out that means they're not covered.

I don't know that the screen protector which came "with the phone" was meant to be left permanently installed; possibly it does not have the necessary capacitive properties to be used in this manner.

Just saying...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I thought as much but it's still very new (only a week old) and I don't want to scratch the screen. I'm sure it can't be making the phone freeze as it's charging.

This is happening to me as well and I have to set a backup alarm for the mornings so I dont miss work. Any fix coming for this?