Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #26  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    yes but with 23 games and lets say titanium backup lets just clock that up to 2GB for the heck of it (even though it easily isn't) That still leaves about 10 GB left on your device for anything else. 5 GB of music? Still got 5 GB of music left. Put some root stuff in (i'm just putting storage because i mean why not) of 1 GB, still got 4GB left. 16GB is fine for me and I can't see me using anymore than that. 8GB is completely useless for me but some people might have unlimited data and it works fine for them.
    this all makes sense if all I cared about was me. Yet in the big picture there are many users with many different needs. Storage comes in many shapes and sizes. We should be looking at the betterment of all users not just what works for us.

    I build software and this logic makes a mess of user interfaces all the time. 1 person thinks that everyone should only look at the way they like to use something and another person thinks everyone should only look at the way they like to use it.

    Yet the smartest person looks at how everyone may need to use it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    this all makes sense if all I cared about was me. Yet in the big picture there are many users with many different needs. Storage comes in many shapes and sizes. We should be looking at the betterment of all users not just what works for us.

    I build software and this logic makes a mess of user interfaces all the time. 1 person thinks that everyone should only look at the way they like to use something and another person thinks everyone should only look at the way they like to use it.

    Yet the smartest person looks at how everyone may need to use it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    that's why i added tons of stuff that i won't even have. That much memory for root and rom stuff? Nope. Titanium backup? Put that on the cloud so nope. Honestly don't really see how people can put that much stuff though unless it is full of a ton of music videos and some what games. really hard to have 1 GB of picture (i'm pretty sure)
  3. #28  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    that's why i added tons of stuff that i won't even have. That much memory for root and rom stuff? Nope. Titanium backup? Put that on the cloud so nope. Honestly don't really see how people can put that much stuff though unless it is full of a ton of music videos and some what games. really hard to have 1 GB of picture (i'm pretty sure)
    But the photos and videos and games is the very reason that some people need the space. Also large email attachments can add up in a hurry. I download proofs for print jobs onto my phone and they can be pretty large PDF files. Just saying that lots of people have different needs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    But the photos and videos and games is the very reason that some people need the space. Also large email attachments can add up in a hurry. I download proofs for print jobs onto my phone and they can be pretty large PDF files. Just saying that lots of people have different needs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    oh.. jobs. I'm still a student XD. I turned off download attachments when connected to wifi anyways and then i clear up all my downloads and crap with solid explorer so i save space. I also clear my cache almost every week or so.
  5. #30  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,708 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    And here we are, 2 months later, and there is no 32 GB version. It was a mistake to compare it with the Nexus 7 in the first place. The better comparison would have been Galaxy Nexus which is the only other unlocked phone Google has released. The Galaxy Nexus , as released by Google, never had a model with more storage then 16 gigabytes.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    My Galaxy Nexus is 32GB. It was sold the first day GNex's were on sale in the US. Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus Toro. The one I bought my wife at Target 2 months ago is also 32GB. If they were willing to do it for a carrier version, obviously someone made them aware of the need and trend of growing storage. I also get why they want to shrink it back down, but as otherwise stated, the most popular apps are games and they sell well. I know consumer demand and the vision don't always agree, but it often feels like they're not listening.
  6. #31  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    802 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Really? Okay let's take your logic in this. I know what you are saying and get why you are saying it... But. This would be the stupidest business decision in the history of the universe. ...

    Let's limit the phone to an exclusive group of nerds that don't want to install or store anything on the phone just so we can get our developers to be able to make apps.
    Yeah, we could all do without the sarcasm and strawman arguments, I think. I never said Google wants to limit the phone to a group of nerds who don't want to install or store anything. I even said I have plenty of apps installed. I said that the Nexus 4 is made for people who want a pure Android experience and can use cloud storage effectively. It is priced to reward that group of customers, which is substantial, and not simply a "group of nerds", as you deride. There's a big difference between "a group of nerds who don't want to install or store anything" and a group of super storage hungry users who load tons of games and fill up their phones with HD videos. Let's not do that, please. We're all adults here. The "business decision" as you so cavalierly put it, is not simply the phone for Google. It is also pushing cloud storage, where Google is a huge player.

    No phone - no matter how well spec'd and designed is made for everyone. Because people are not monolithic. The Nexus experience has never included expandable storage, Google has explained why, and it isn't going to. The Nexus is not made for everybody.
    I'm okay with limiting storage. As I've said, 16gb is fine for me, but let's not get all dressed up and not go to the dance over $10 because that's what we are talking about here. The cost to add a bit of space is insignificant.
    One thing to keep in mind isn't just how much extra storage costs (although I would like for you to prove that the difference between 16 and 32 gb of mobile phone storage costs is only $10), it is also whether that storage can fit into the design. If the hard disk is 1 mm thicker, it may not fit.

    There is a reason why Google made the decision it did with the storage - specifically that they decided to offer a SMALLER storage option following only a 16 gb unlocked Galaxy Nexus instead of going the way of expanding it. You may not like it, and you don't have to. But that you do not like it does not mean it lacks either utility or value. Nobody said that no one can legitimately need more storage than 16 gb. But the Nexus 4 is not for them, and they have plenty of options.
  7. #32  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    oh.. jobs. I'm still a student XD. I turned off download attachments when connected to wifi anyways and then i clear up all my downloads and crap with solid explorer so i save space. I also clear my cache almost every week or so.
    Sounds like a lot of work.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  8. #33  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Yeah, we could all do without the sarcasm and strawman arguments, I think. I never said Google wants to limit the phone to a group of nerds who don't want to install or store anything. I even said I have plenty of apps installed. I said that the Nexus 4 is made for people who want a pure Android experience and can use cloud storage effectively. It is priced to reward that group of customers, which is substantial, and not simply a "group of nerds", as you deride. There's a big difference between "a group of nerds who don't want to install or store anything" and a group of super storage hungry users who load tons of games and fill up their phones with HD videos. Let's not do that, please. We're all adults here. The "business decision" as you so cavalierly put it, is not simply the phone for Google. It is also pushing cloud storage, where Google is a huge player.

    No phone - no matter how well spec'd and designed is made for everyone. Because people are not monolithic. The Nexus experience has never included expandable storage, Google has explained why, and it isn't going to. The Nexus is not made for everybody.

    One thing to keep in mind isn't just how much extra storage costs (although I would like for you to prove that the difference between 16 and 32 gb of mobile phone storage costs is only $10), it is also whether that storage can fit into the design. If the hard disk is 1 mm thicker, it may not fit.

    There is a reason why Google made the decision it did with the storage - specifically that they decided to offer a SMALLER storage option following only a 16 gb unlocked Galaxy Nexus instead of going the way of expanding it. You may not like it, and you don't have to. But that you do not like it does not mean it lacks either utility or value. Nobody said that no one can legitimately need more storage than 16 gb. But the Nexus 4 is not for them, and they have plenty of options.
    Okay let's not argue. I wasn't trying to poke at you. You realize by my signature that I have and love this phone right? It is amazing and does everything I could ask... But I am not everyone. This phone does most things perfectly and storage should not be the thing it lacks. Storage is cheap. The HTC one x+ has 64gb. The storage is basically an SD card. There is no thickness or hard drive involved. Google could add the extra space without any problem in cost or technology so it doesn't make sense at the end of the day to me. You may feel differently but I personally don't see it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  9. #34  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    802 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

    Default Re: Over two months later, is it worth it to wait/hope for a Nexus 4 32GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    The storage is basically an SD card.
    I doubt that the case for internal storage is the same. You don't have the space for a whole slot in internal storage chipsets. I am not an expert at these things, but I would think that doubling the capacity would either cost them more, require a miuntely greater physical space, or both.

    Right. You're not everyone. No one is everyone. That is the point I was trying to make. Yes, the One X+ has 64 MB on board, but how much is it off contract to buy?

    Whether you are right or I am about these details, however, I am still pretty sure no Nexus 4 is coming with 32gb of storage.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. LogMeIn Ignition now available for $30...is it worth it?
    By azkevman in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
  2. Will is be worth it if you already own a Droid?
    By terpitude71 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
  3. Is it worth it "NEW sprint release"
    By mannyvigi1985 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 12:16 PM
  4. rooting is it worth it?
    By Lurch81#AC in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
  5. Is it worth it
    By SoCal64 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Posting Permissions

B