If TMobile + MetroPCS fulfill their plan, they'll singlehandedly future proof the Nexus 4!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Everyone agrees that the RAM and processor (and screen) on the Nexus 4 make it powerful enough to run future Android versions and apps for a number of years, but without LTE, it won't have access to the fastest network speeds in a few years...or will it?

The Nexus 4 has a fully working Band 4 LTE radio (google for how to get it working without rooting). And MetroPCS and TMobile want to have an LTE network that covers 200 million people on band 4 only within just a few years!

T-Mobile, MetroPCS Outline Quick Move to LTE | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

What makes it better is the combined spectrum of the two networks would give all the major cities 50MHZ (and more in some cities) on Band 4, meaning they'd be able to handle more users and about 2x the speed of Verizon's LTE.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've heard there is a basic radio component missing that makes the range of LTE in the N4 not so very good?

Either way, I would be perfectly stoked if this happens. In fact, I bought into a Tmo biz value plan hoping to be grandfathered into this future, unlimited and uncapped.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The Nexus 4 IS fully equipped for band 4 LTE. What it doesn't have is carrier permissions to use LTE radios. If T-mobile decides to grant non-branded devices (such as the Nexus 4) the ability access their network, as well as Google/T-mo provides a software update to enable it, it has the potential to be a game changer. The combined success of unlocked phone and the T-mobile's open network model may even start releasing the carrier grip on LTE that we have thus far seen.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
"But Nexus 4 owners don't get a free LTE modem. While the Nexus 4 has LTE capabilities, according to LG, "it is only effective when combined with other essential hardware parts such as a signal amplifier and filter in order for it to work." These components have been omitted from the Nexus 4 in order to reduce cost."

From: http://www.zdnet.com/googles-nexus-4-has-an-lte-chip-but-why-is-it-disabled-7000007903/

Don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't count on a strong lte signal.

Sent from my KFHD using Tapatalk 2

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It was a guy from LG that said that, and he lied. That has been proven: AnandTech - Nexus 4 Includes Support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS)

The same guy had said earlier that the Nexus 4 had no LTE capabilities at all.

It's just weird that he would lie. It's not like that sounds like an honest mistake of being clueless or something.

There's probably some reason, ranging from not wanting to hear incessant harassment from verizon fanboys wanting the N4 to some secretive plan to take the LTE market by storm once they deploy it. :D

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't have FCC permission either. The N4 was approved by the FCC for HPSA+ but was not approved/certified for LTE.

I see. Is it possible to do this after the release of a phone? Can Google go back to the FCC and get this certified for LTE one T-Mobile rolls their LTE network out?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I see. Is it possible to do this after the release of a phone? Can Google go back to the FCC and get this certified for LTE one T-Mobile rolls their LTE network out?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yes they could just reapply for approval on the lte bands.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37