Google Contacts partially missing!?

Neil Attard

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Google Nexus 4 carrying Android version 4.2.1 and when I synchronized with my Google account, I only got 600 of my 3000 Google Contacts on the phone. Funnily enough on my Nexus 7 tablet I have all the contact synchronized, although I first synchronized my tablet over a year ago, when there was a previous android version.

Does anyone know how to get all the contacts synchronized?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I believe that it will only pull down the contacts listed in "My contacts" in the contact list, and not the entire "other contacts" list. Most people don't want 3000 contacts on their phone so that was Google's way of making sure only peoples specific contacts, and not every person they've ever interacted with in gmail, gets to phones. Do you have all 3000 contacts in the "my contacts" bit of google Contacts?

Neil Attard

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes all the 3000 contacts are in "My contacts". So you really believe that Google intentionally did that? or they might be a bug on Android's Contacts/People?
Earlier on today I removed and re-installed my Google account on the Nexus 7 tablet, to see if its just on the Nexus 4 or on both Nexus 4 and 7. Before I removed the account I had 3000 in the People app, and now that i re-installed it I have around 600 on the Nexus 7. Remember that when I first linked my Google account to the Nexus 7 tablet there was the previous version of Android back 1 year ago, and now I have the upgrade version.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Do they all have phone numbers? That's an option you can select, to not show contacts who don't have one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Not all of them have phone numbers. I didn't know about this feature you are mentioning.... how do you do it?

Not entirely sure how to do it in the stock app, but there's an option somewhere to only display contacts with phone numbers.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you use a third party application to sync the data? If you didn't then yikes. 3000 contacts??? 600 is a bit much. I got bored inputting 20....

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not entirely sure how to do it in the stock app, but there's an option somewhere to only display contacts with phone numbers.

I could have sworn this feature existed as well, but could not find it in the People app. You might want to try a third-party contact app and see if it can help grab them all.

Edit: a quick Google search shows this problem is not well-covered online but a few people have reported something similar. I didn't see any solutions, however. :(

One thing you could try as an experiment is find a contact that's not displaying, copy the info down, delete it from your web-based contacts list, then recreate it. Then force a sync on your phone and see if it shows up. Is there an arbitrary point where the contacts are cutting off (like displaying A-D or something) or are you getting a random assortment from all letters of the alphabet?

WOP_Drive

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Another reason that some of your contacts might not be visible is Android tends to occasionally merge contacts with the same home address, etc. I then have to go in and "separate" these contacts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Neil Attard

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Guys just managed to fix it! Apparently the problem was in the my personal Google contacts account
... Just in case anyone has the same kind of problem:
1. Go to Google Contacts and Extract ALL contacts in CSV
2. Delete the contacts (Note that Google contacts has a recovery tool in case one messes up!)
3. Import the contacts in Google Contacts from the CSV file

That should be it :)

Green Flash

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I, too, had a partial list of Google contacts although my settings were selected to show all. I first noticed they went missing when my text messaging app was only showing numbers instead of names. I logged into Google from my desktop machine and deleted all my contacts. Then I synced my phone to my Google account and checked to make sure all contacts were indeed gone. Next I restored my Google Contacts to an hour ago on my desktop, and again synced my phone. All contacts then synced, so names were again associated with texts. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

RevBev

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue. My contacts are showing as Google contacts in my phone but when I open contacts in gmail they are not all there and a search does not find them.
Does anyone have a solution, I am in the process of looking for a replacement phone but I do not want to lose my contacts, there should not be an issue if they are all google contacts.
Frustrated:(

Falkon Nightsdale

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Today I wanted to send SMS to my friend, only to find that she is missing from my contact list.
As well es few other friends and even my father...

Later I have googled my way to "Google Contacts" site, where I found all my contacts, including those missing, with the possibility to "add contact" (pictogram of "person with +" ) - after that, they got synced into my phone.

What's going on...? Can I prevent it for future...?
Till now, I have found around 20 friends who got "hidden" - and I'm at letter "J" only... :-(

Stevenhill_6789

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Guys just managed to fix it! Apparently the problem was in the my personal Google contacts account
... Just in case anyone has the same kind of problem:
1. Go to Google Contacts and Extract ALL contacts in CSV
2. Delete the contacts (Note that Google contacts has a recovery tool in case one messes up!)
3. Import the contacts in Google Contacts from the CSV file

That should be it :)

Broke my old phone, got a new one and random contacts not restoring..

I see what you said to do, but I dont see an "extract" option

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem on my S7. My contacts were all searchable in Gmail via a browser, but not on my phone. I fixed it for the missing contacts by going to a browser, searching for the contacted, making an edit of any kind, and re-saving the contact. It then showed up on my phone's contacts.

Strange part is, if you scroll through the alphabetical list, it wasn't listed. You have to search for it, edit it, then save it, and it appears in the alphabetical list and on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay