Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default About to give up! AT&T APN settings

So I came from a AT&T Galaxy Note with a LTE plan. I just sold it to go with Nexus 4 and put my sim card in. I have tried just about every APN setting out there. I live in a good area with HSPA+ speeds and i'm lucky if I get 1mbps.

I am just looking for any new things to try or new APN Settings.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Default Re: About to give up! AT&T APN settings

Quote Originally Posted by audibink View Post
    So I came from a AT&T Galaxy Note with a LTE plan. I just sold it to go with Nexus 4 and I have tried just about every APN setting out there. I live in a good area with HSPA+ speeds and i'm lucky if I get 1mbps.

I am just looking for any new things to try or new APN Settings.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
    Have you tried this? I just did it and it works fine for me. And are you sure its not your sim card?

Updated APN setting

I'm guessing something needs to be changed with how your account is registered at ATT. Maybe you are pointing internally in their network towards LTE, which obviously won't work. Have you tried seeing an actual ATT rep in an actual store?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by ShockG911 View Post
    Have you tried this? I just did it and it works fine for me. And are you sure its not your sim card?

Updated APN setting
    Still averaged around 1mbps with those settings. I do not know if it is my sim. Never had any issues with my note but I guess you never know.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Very odd, I am an Unlimited LTE plan and both the phone and pta APNs works perfectly fine for me without any other intervention from at&t.

I wish I could see at&t's back end and get a better idea where this stuff goes wrong.

Dan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I'm guessing something needs to be changed with how your account is registered at ATT. Maybe you are pointing internally in their network towards LTE, which obviously won't work. Have you tried seeing an actual ATT rep in an actual store?
    I have not been to a store yet. I am on unlimited data so I was trying to avoid it but maybe it's time to go in. It's just the web/ download speed that is terrible. Talk, Text works great.

I have not been to a store yet. I am on unlimited data so I was trying to avoid it but maybe it's time to go in. It's just the web/ download speed that is terrible. Talk, Text works great.
    Yeah, go to the store. I used to be a sales rep at AT&T and 9 out of 10 times it was the sim card
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yeah, go to the store. I used to be a sales rep at AT&T and 9 out of 10 times it was the sim card
    interesting, I never would have guessed that. So just tell them i'm getting terrible DL speeds and need a new sim card?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I have a brand new micro sim. Can I just call them? So what phone does AT&T think I have now? Do I have to come up with a IMIE #? Or do I just give them the new number off the new sim and go my way?

I have a brand new micro sim. Can I just call them? So what phone does AT&T think I have now? Do I have to come up with a IMIE #? Or do I just give them the new number off the new sim and go my way?
    I had to change my unlimited lte data plan to hspa.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Galaxy S3 w/ Hyperion 4200mah and Seidio battery cover & ZeroLemon 7000mah
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    I had to change my unlimited lte data plan to hspa.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    OK new sim and changed my plan to 4g HSPA and said they provisioned my plan. Time to try APN settings again!

I had a terrible time with my Nexus 4 on AT&T under my plan so I just dropped data from my line. I just use T-Mobile now and getting a lot better service for $30 a month.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    I had a terrible time with my Nexus 4 on AT&T under my plan so I just dropped data from my line. I just use T-Mobile now and getting a lot better service for $30 a month.
    couple months left then I will be doing that.

I'm trying just about everything. Still terrible speeds. New sim, correct plan, different APN's still striking out.

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

OK new sim and changed my plan to 4g HSPA and said they provisioned my plan. Time to try APN settings again!
    Hmm. Does anyone else find it a little odd that AT&T has to provision 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE plans separately? Why is that? You have the amount of data you have. Wouldn't what kind of data you are using depend on your device's capability and whether you're in a given area?

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Hmm. Does anyone else find it a little odd that AT&T has to provision 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE plans separately? Why is that? You have the amount of data you have. Wouldn't what kind of data you are using depend on your device's capability and whether you're in a given area?
    Yeah ive still yet to figure out why they have a different plan for every network type. Itd make sense to lump them together as the system already can tell what the phones capabilities are.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Because AT&T sucks ***! They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced with a company, and their data service is not much better than their customer service. I left them and switched to TMobile. Data speeds range between 2 and 3 times faster (ranging from 9 to 20 mbps). I thought the reception was going to be terrible, but so far (after almost 2 months), I've been amazed. Even driving through no-mans-land in rural AL, as well as TN, I've had constant cell service, and when I lost H+, I still had Edge for data (not fast, but it's there). GPS navigation NEVER failed, which is my only real concern when a trip sends me well outside of any city. I'd say screw your last few months, get happy on a carrier that will make your phone fly.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

That is really weird. Is your terrible speeds everywhere or only in a certain location? Reason why i'm asking is because I have perfect coverage in my area(thats what the coverage map says) and I barely get 1-2 bars. Dont go by the coverage map distributed by AT&T.

Now if your speeds are terrible everywhere, it must be your phone. I'd call LG and see what they say before you stress yourself out even more. Lol
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

my speeds are terrible everywhere. Wont Google/LG just blame AT&T?

for the APN settings. I used

APN: pta
    APN type: default,admin,mms,supl,hipri

I think pta is for LTE. Also, you'd probably have to change it from the Phone's hidden menu.

Maybe this link will help you out.

Nexus 4 Getting LTE on AT&T? How to See If You Get It, Too. - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr