An odd proposal.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Full disclosure...

I'm typing this on an iPhone 5. I've been looking at the Nexus 4 and this evening an interesting thing caught my eye.

Someone has a 16gb Nexus 4 they just got thru T-Mo. But they want an iPhone 5. I'm in AT&T and this phone is under contract still.

Am wonder what kind of issues I'll have if we decide to switch. They'll obliviously have to get the iPhone carrier unlocked --- I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm not thinking about.

Thoughts?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You can use the N4 on AT&T...or unlock your iPhone & bring both to TMo but keep in mind TMo doesn't support LTE for the iPhone 5. In downtown San Francisco I get only Edge 90% of the time on my iPhone 5 but great speeds on my N4 in the same area.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm in Cincinnati, and they do have HSPA+ here for TMo

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not gonna be screwed if the N4 has a warranty issue.

I already told the other person they'd have to pay to get the iPhone 5 unlocked.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya there's HSPA+ here too but the iPhone 5 on TMo has horrible service but the N4 gets great service.

I'd recommend CellUnlocker.net to unlock the iPhone - it's the one I used & worked great.

For the N4 warranty it only applies to the original owner & isn't transferable.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
And it only applies to phones bought today and later. Phones before that are still ok. But I ended up not doing it. Having a T-Mobile phone and other factors just made it a hassle. I might end up buying a Nexus 4 outright if/when they ever become available.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
FYI... It's now officially illegal to unlock a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Illegal? As in "You could get arrested" illegal? As in "You broke a contract with your carrier and are subject to financial penalty" illegal?

How about if I bought a carrier locked phone from private seller and then I unlocked it. Would I be in trouble then?

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Illegal? As in "You could get arrested" illegal? As in "You broke a contract with your carrier and are subject to financial penalty" illegal?

How about if I bought a carrier locked phone from private seller and then I unlocked it. Would I be in trouble then?

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Illegal as you can be arrested and or sued for breaking federal law.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I know the act, and know about the failure to extend it.

I want a source where anyone has mentioned criminal prosecution. For end users, this is a civil case and the penalty would be a fine equal to the cost of the device plus court costs -- at least according to my daughters legal professor ...

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I know the act, and know about the failure to extend it.

I want a source where anyone has mentioned criminal prosecution. For end users, this is a civil case and the penalty would be a fine equal to the cost of the device plus court costs -- at least according to my daughters legal professor ...
Easiest way to abolish this new law is to stop buying locked devices via overpriced, long term contracts.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way to abolish this new law is to stop buying locked devices via overpriced, long term contracts.

Ya that won't happen. People won't pay for a 649.99 phone outright. If they really want it they are gonna sign that contract. Some will but most won't want that huge cost up front.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been trying to ignore this whole thing, because it's not really a big deal.

USCODE-2011, Title17, Chapter 12, section 1203 covers civil penalties. It's the actual cost to the affected party -- in this case the retail of the phone.

Jail and/or huge fines are left for folks "violating section 1201 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain" -- like the people running cell unlock services inside the US.

Back to the topic at hand:

I've used an iPhone on T-Mobile. It will need to be unlocked, and the correct APN entered when the T-Mobile SIM is inserted. Most places you'll only see EDGE data speeds, but places like NYC, DC, Seattle, or anywhere T-Mobile has refarmed out the 1900MHz signal you'll see full speed HSPA+

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to ignore this whole thing, because it's not really a big deal.

USCODE-2011, Title17, Chapter 12, section 1203 covers civil penalties. It's the actual cost to the affected party -- in this case the retail of the phone.

Jail and/or huge fines are left for folks "violating section 1201 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain" -- like the people running cell unlock services inside the US.

Back to the topic at hand:

I've used an iPhone on T-Mobile. It will need to be unlocked, and the correct APN entered when the T-Mobile SIM is inserted. Most places you'll only see EDGE data speeds, but places like NYC, DC, Seattle, or anywhere T-Mobile has refarmed out the 1900MHz signal you'll see full speed HSPA+

The law is suppose to be cut and dry the laws theblaw. Yes you can be charged criminally and itbwould still be within the limit of the law. Now will you or me be charged criminally for unlocking one phone no will we get a strongly worded letter from the carrier we got the phone from probably worst case a lawsuit but itll be a slap on the wrist.

Now your iphone will be ok as you purchased it prior to today so your allowed to unlock that still.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Full disclosure...

I'm typing this on an iPhone 5. I've been looking at the Nexus 4 and this evening an interesting thing caught my eye.

Someone has a 16gb Nexus 4 they just got thru T-Mo. But they want an iPhone 5. I'm in AT&T and this phone is under contract still.

Am wonder what kind of issues I'll have if we decide to switch. They'll obliviously have to get the iPhone carrier unlocked --- I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm not thinking about.

Thoughts?

With the correct APN the Nexus 4 runs like a champ on AT&T. I've gotten as high as 12mbps down on HSPA+ which is slightly(A LOT) slower than the 40-50 mbps down I was getting on my GS3 with LTE. However it's a solid device, just have to determine if the trade offs are worth it.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With the correct APN the Nexus 4 runs like a champ on AT&T. I've gotten as high as 12mbps down on HSPA+ which is slightly(A LOT) slower than the 40-50 mbps down I was getting on my GS3 with LTE. However it's a solid device, just have to determine if the trade offs are worth it.

i think you will get close to LTE speeds in other locations. Or maybe you get lightning fast LTE in specific locations. I know one of the two doesn't have many hot spots of really fast.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
i think you will get close to LTE speeds in other locations. Or maybe you get lightning fast LTE in specific locations. I know one of the two doesn't have many hot spots of really fast.

I get "good enough" speeds with hspa+ on my Nexus 4. However Houston is blanketed heavily by really fast LTE, so It's a tough trade off.