Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEagle View Post
    No problem. I don't know what emoji are anyway, but I still don't see from your pic how it shows how to send sms to groups without adding recipients individually, or am I missing something?
    No idea. I should have read the whole thread first. My bad

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

also, under the settings menue in messages there is a section under "MULTIMEDIA (MMS) Messages" - Group Messaging" - "Use MMS to send a single message to multiple recipients". Make sure that is unchecked and that might help make it so that it doesn't send it as a mms.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile1990 View Post
    also, under the settings menue in messages there is a section under "MULTIMEDIA (MMS) Messages" - Group Messaging" - "Use MMS to send a single message to multiple recipients". Make sure that is unchecked and that might help make it so that it doesn't send it as a mms.
    A couple of people have suggested this but in my phone's message settings there are no options to select group messaging under SMS or MMS. How can it be that people with the same handset & OS have different settings? I don't understand why that would be.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by Go Ogle View Post
    No idea. I should have read the whole thread first. My bad

No problem. Btw, how do you post a pic of your phone's screen like you did in your first post? And I know what emoji are now too, thanks to google

No problem. Btw, how do you post a pic of your phone's screen like you did in your first post? And I know what emoji are now too, thanks to google
    Power button and volume down at the same time. Well actually..press power button a split second before volume down.

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Power button and volume down at the same time. Well actually..press power button a split second before volume down.

Ok thanks. Here's the screenshot of my message settings. There's no Group options under MMS or SMS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4-screenshot_2013-01-26-19-45-05.png  

That's weird. Here's mine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4-uploadfromtaptalk1359236565429.jpg  

The OP wants to mass text group not group SMS where everyone talks to everyone I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Galaxy S3 w/ Hyperion 4200mah and Seidio battery cover & ZeroLemon 7000mah
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    The OP wants to mass text group not group SMS where everyone talks to everyone I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    That's right, I just want to send the same SMS to multiple group recipients, not have a group conversation in the same thread. Handcent & Citizen Coyote seem to have found a way to do this but I still don't understand how the same phone & OS have different settings as shown by the screenshots above.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I'm guessing DarthEagle is running stock while the they person who has group messaging is running a custom app like CyanogenMod SMS (see my screen shot I am running CM10.1)

Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4-uploadfromtaptalk1359249589475.jpg

ROM
    Stock 4.2.1

There is group messaging in the default stock firmware. I noticed that the OP had no mobile data connection (grey signal bars) which could be a reason why that option for Group Messaging is not available as an option since that feature requires MMS (for iPhone compatibility -- thank god). What the OP is looking for isn't possible with the stock messaging app right now... hopefully that'll change but not anytime soon.

And all that is assuming the OP is on factory Nexus 4 firmware.

Ok thanks. Here's the screenshot of my message settings. There's no Group options under MMS or SMS.
    I would probably just call LG and see what they say. That's really weird

Mine looks the same; no option for group.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Quote Originally Posted by Parth Ghetia View Post
    There is group messaging in the default stock firmware. I noticed that the OP had no mobile data connection (grey signal bars) which could be a reason why that option for Group Messaging is not available as an option since that feature requires MMS (for iPhone compatibility -- thank god). What the OP is looking for isn't possible with the stock messaging app right now... hopefully that'll change but not anytime soon.

And all that is assuming the OP is on factory Nexus 4 firmware.
    I tried turning on mobile data & wifi but the message settings remained the same as in my previous screenshot. I now have a solution using Hancent and/or Coyote's workaround but it seems from what Bar81 said the settings vary between different handsets even though they're all the same model running the same OS. Odd.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    I'm guessing DarthEagle is running stock while the they person who has group messaging is running a custom app like CyanogenMod SMS (see my screen shot I am running CM10.1)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359249589475.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	57826

I was using the stock SMS app but am now using Handcent which has group messaging function. The only slightly irritating thing is when I get a text now I get 2 alerts and it shows up in both apps. But that's a small price to pay for being able to send group texts, which I need to do regularly.

Global Posts
    11,760 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Turn off notifications in one of the apps. That will stop the double notifications.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    Turn off notifications in one of the apps. That will stop the double notifications.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Brilliant, thanks.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I was using the stock SMS app but am now using Handcent which has group messaging function. The only slightly irritating thing is when I get a text now I get 2 alerts and it shows up in both apps. But that's a small price to pay for being able to send group texts, which I need to do regularly.
    I haven't used stock SMS in a few months buy if you have this in your stock SMS app settings you can get disable notifications all together and avoid that issue.

Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4-uploadfromtaptalk1359301101207.jpg

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I haven't used stock SMS in a few months buy if you have this in your stock SMS app settings you can get disable notifications all together and avoid that issue.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359301101207.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	57898

And as you can when you in check notifications all methods of notification are disabled

Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4-uploadfromtaptalk1359301286303.jpg

Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359301101207.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	57898

Yup, I've disabled notifications in the stock app so should only get them from Handcent now.

You can turn the notification off the stock messaging in the message settings that everyone keeps screenshotting

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

You can turn the notification off the stock messaging in the message settings that everyone keeps screenshotting

Yes, I've done that, thanks.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

That's weird. Here's mine
    That is really strange. Mine looks exactly like Go Ogle's, too (except for the text limit numbers). Running stock 4.2.1.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

So can you group message with the stock messaging app, without rooting? I'm talking about the type of group messaging where everyone can continuously talk in the same thread, not the type where you send a message to multiple people, but their replies come back in separate, individual threads. I have have tried several 3rd party messaging apps on my current phone (including Handcent) and found each of them to be buggy. That's why I want to know if the stock messaging app ont he Nexus 4 has this functionality as I am considering purchasing one.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Quote Originally Posted by Eddster View Post
    So can you group message with the stock messaging app, without rooting? I'm talking about the type of group messaging where everyone can continuously talk in the same thread, not the type where you send a message to multiple people, but their replies come back in separate, individual threads. I have have tried several 3rd party messaging apps on my current phone (including Handcent) and found each of them to be buggy. That's why I want to know if the stock messaging app ont he Nexus 4 has this functionality as I am considering purchasing one.
    No I don't think you can. There's a separate thread on the subject here: Need help with Handcent and Go SMS Pro!!

Hope you find it helpful.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast