Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
open messages app-->menu[3 dots]-->settings-->Group messaging is checked

MultiMedia Messages(MMS) mentioned my that poster is just a header

There is no Group Messaging option in my message settings. That was the first thing I checked when I got the phone but nothing there!

I don't understand your second sentence.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry. The icons are emoji. Enable them in the language and input settings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry. The icons are emoji. Enable them in the language and input settings.

No problem. I don't know what emoji are anyway, but I still don't see from your pic how it shows how to send sms to groups without adding recipients individually, or am I missing something?

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No problem. I don't know what emoji are anyway, but I still don't see from your pic how it shows how to send sms to groups without adding recipients individually, or am I missing something?

No idea. I should have read the whole thread first. My bad

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
also, under the settings menue in messages there is a section under "MULTIMEDIA (MMS) Messages" - Group Messaging" - "Use MMS to send a single message to multiple recipients". Make sure that is unchecked and that might help make it so that it doesn't send it as a mms.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
also, under the settings menue in messages there is a section under "MULTIMEDIA (MMS) Messages" - Group Messaging" - "Use MMS to send a single message to multiple recipients". Make sure that is unchecked and that might help make it so that it doesn't send it as a mms.

A couple of people have suggested this but in my phone's message settings there are no options to select group messaging under SMS or MMS. How can it be that people with the same handset & OS have different settings? I don't understand why that would be.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No problem. Btw, how do you post a pic of your phone's screen like you did in your first post? And I know what emoji are now too, thanks to google ;)

Power button and volume down at the same time. Well actually..press power button a split second before volume down.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Power button and volume down at the same time. Well actually..press power button a split second before volume down.

Ok thanks. Here's the screenshot of my message settings. There's no Group options under MMS or SMS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-26-19-45-05.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-26-19-45-05.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 36

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. Here's mine

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359236565429.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359236565429.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 168

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The OP wants to mass text group not group SMS where everyone talks to everyone I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4

That's right, I just want to send the same SMS to multiple group recipients, not have a group conversation in the same thread. Handcent & Citizen Coyote seem to have found a way to do this but I still don't understand how the same phone & OS have different settings as shown by the screenshots above.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing DarthEagle is running stock while the they person who has group messaging is running a custom app like CyanogenMod SMS (see my screen shot I am running CM10.1)

uploadfromtaptalk1359249589475.jpg

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There is group messaging in the default stock firmware. I noticed that the OP had no mobile data connection (grey signal bars) which could be a reason why that option for Group Messaging is not available as an option since that feature requires MMS (for iPhone compatibility -- thank god). What the OP is looking for isn't possible with the stock messaging app right now... hopefully that'll change but not anytime soon.

And all that is assuming the OP is on factory Nexus 4 firmware.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There is group messaging in the default stock firmware. I noticed that the OP had no mobile data connection (grey signal bars) which could be a reason why that option for Group Messaging is not available as an option since that feature requires MMS (for iPhone compatibility -- thank god). What the OP is looking for isn't possible with the stock messaging app right now... hopefully that'll change but not anytime soon.

And all that is assuming the OP is on factory Nexus 4 firmware.

I tried turning on mobile data & wifi but the message settings remained the same as in my previous screenshot. I now have a solution using Hancent and/or Coyote's workaround but it seems from what Bar81 said the settings vary between different handsets even though they're all the same model running the same OS. Odd.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing DarthEagle is running stock while the they person who has group messaging is running a custom app like CyanogenMod SMS (see my screen shot I am running CM10.1)

View attachment 57826

I was using the stock SMS app but am now using Handcent which has group messaging function. The only slightly irritating thing is when I get a text now I get 2 alerts and it shows up in both apps. But that's a small price to pay for being able to send group texts, which I need to do regularly.