Sending Group SMS with Nexus 4

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Greetings, new member here. I have a question which I haven't seen posted anywhere else and would be grateful for help with.

I run a youth football team and often need to send the same text message to a large group of people about fixtures, training, postponements etc. With my old HTC Desire this was simple - just select the group recipients, write the text and fire away. With my new Nexus 4 (which I am happy with otherwise), I cannot find a way to do this simple task. It can do many amazing things but this is an everyday, easy function which appears to be missing from this handset.

I have tried using GroupText but I often get errors and generic failures - it won't tell me which numbers have failed so I end up having to contact everyone individually to check they got the message. This is time-consuming and annoying but it's important people get the messages I send so they don't turn up early on a wet and cold Sunday morning for a football match which has been called off!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to send group texts using the stock app or is there another reliable app I can use to perform this function?

All help gratefully received, thank you.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Greetings, new member here. I have a question which I haven't seen posted anywhere else and would be grateful for help with.

I run a youth football team and often need to send the same text message to a large group of people about fixtures, training, postponements etc. With my old HTC Desire this was simple - just select the group recipients, write the text and fire away. With my new Nexus 4 (which I am happy with otherwise), I cannot find a way to do this simple task. It can do many amazing things but this is an everyday, easy function which appears to be missing from this handset.

I have tried using GroupText but I often get errors and generic failures - it won't tell me which numbers have failed so I end up having to contact everyone individually to check they got the message. This is time-consuming and annoying but it's important people get the messages I send so they don't turn up early on a wet and cold Sunday morning for a football match which has been called off!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to send group texts using the stock app or is there another reliable app I can use to perform this function?

You should just be able to add all the contacts to the text you wish to send out. Works that way on my Galaxy nexus I'd imagine it's the same on the nexus 4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You should just be able to add all the contacts to the text you wish to send out. Works that way on my Galaxy nexus I'd imagine it's the same on the nexus 4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply, but I don't want to have to add all the contacts individually, I want to be able to send to an already-created group. I can't find a way to link to the group I have set up in my contacts, or even get a list of names to send to. I have to start writing the name, then it will come up with matches for me to select instead of me being able to check names from a list. This is not how it was with my HTC Desire and it's very frustrating!

Miss_AllSunday

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm trying to do this too (youth group also). I also noticed if you add more than one person it changes to a MMS which costs extra money and doesn't come out of my text bundle.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm trying to do this too (youth group also). I also noticed if you add more than one person it changes to a MMS which costs extra money and doesn't come out of my text bundle.

How are you adding multiple recipients? I'm even having trouble doing that! I was thinking of trying Handcent https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.handcent.nextsms&hl=en&token=BpGpPn5c but would rather be able to use the stock app as I used to do on my HTC Desire with no problems.

Miss_AllSunday

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You just press the recipients field again and it lets you put in a second...but I'm worried about cost as it immediately changed to a MMS as soon as I added the other person.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
In contacts (people) on the left tab where you can create groups. Just add or delete names there. When you start a new SMS just select the group type message and send.

Sent from my Nexus 4

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't find an option for this, when I tap "to" on the compose sms screen nothing happens. It only brings up names when I begin typing one, I can't get it to display a list of contacts or groups for me to select.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You just press the recipients field again and it lets you put in a second...but I'm worried about cost as it immediately changed to a MMS as soon as I added the other person.

Do you not have a data plan? MMS does use data, but it's such a small amount that it should be inconsequential to whatever cap you have unless you send hundreds of MMS texts a day or have to pay per megabyte.

As for multiple recipients, once you create the list and send a message in the stock messaging app, it should remain as a thread you can click on again later to send to the same people. So yes, you'll have to type them in one at a time the first time, but after that it should save the group in the list. As long as you send out messages periodically, it should not fall off the list.

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've downloaded Handcent it allows group sms easily. Can't understand why the stock app doesn't have this basic function but I'd recommend Handcent as an alternative. GroupSMS didn't work for me but Handcent seems okay so far.

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue. Mine works now. Check out my thread and see if it helps

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/246179-need-help-handcent-go-sms-pro.html

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys are having trouble

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359218381022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359218381022.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 519

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've downloaded Handcent it allows group sms easily. Can't understand why the stock app doesn't have this basic function but I'd recommend Handcent as an alternative. GroupSMS didn't work for me but Handcent seems okay so far.

yeah google has been lazy with the sms app. they included group SMS but they didnt include adding group contacts

DarthEagle

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
As for multiple recipients, once you create the list and send a message in the stock messaging app, it should remain as a thread you can click on again later to send to the same people. So yes, you'll have to type them in one at a time the first time, but after that it should save the group in the list. As long as you send out messages periodically, it should not fall off the list.

Thanks for that solution, I will remember it as an option but Handcent has some nice features such as quick replies so I'll continue with it for now. Nice to know there is a workaround on the stock app anyway, I was getting very frustrated with it!