Is the nexus 4 the fastest phone available?

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android and I was just wondering, is this phone the fastest android phone? Also what other Android phones use the same processor?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
as for other phones, the N4, Optimus G, Droid DNA, and Xperia Z are all the phones I know about that have an S4 Pro... anyone feel free to add to this list

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
One of the fastest phones for sale and the most affordable high end Android phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know when ever I toss mine across the room it is the same speed no matter which one I am mad at atm.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Craigslist. You will pay a premium but not too bad. I picked mine up still sealed. Who knows when it will be back on the play store...hopefully soon. I want to get my wife one

Updated : 1/29/13- People on Craigslist are crying today since the N4 hit the play store today!

Last edited:

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy NOte II is probably the most powerful right now of Android choices.

Here is a good breakdown: PassMark Android Benchmark Charts - CPU Rating

I find it stunning that despite the 4 cores on the Note 2, it is still slower than the iPhone 5 according to the results on the website you linked us to. Android OEMs must find a way to make the software work faster with the hardware rather than throw bigger hardware are the problem. They need to optimize the software to the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone 7

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I find it stunning that despite the 4 cores on the Note 2, it is still slower than the iPhone 5 according to the results on the website you linked us to. Android OEMs must find a way to make the software work faster with the hardware rather than throw bigger hardware are the problem. They need to optimize the software to the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Benchmarks are decieving. The iPhone lacks true multitasking so of course its going to perform better. There are fewer background tasks to use processor cycles.

More cores does not mean faster it just means they it can do more at once and if the benchmark isn't designed to take advantage of the multiple cores its worthless. Benchmarks mean next to nothing in real world performance. That's why AC stopped using them in their reviews.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Benchmarks are decieving. The iPhone lacks true multitasking so of course its going to perform better. There are fewer background tasks to use processor cycles.

More cores does not mean faster it just means they it can do more at once and if the benchmark isn't designed to take advantage of the multiple cores its worthless. Benchmarks mean next to nothing in real world performance. That's why AC stopped using them in their reviews.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

I sense sour grapes. I bet if the numbers were reversed you would not be posting this. BTW, do read what the tests are all about. They do have a section on the site what the tests measure. They seem to be straight forward tests of CPU/GPU speeds.

http://www.iphonebenchmark.net/cpu_test_info.html

Nowhere does the description of the tests mention the impact of multitasking on the CPU.

Take the integer math test of the CPU:

"The Integer Math Test aims to measure how fast the CPU can perform mathematical integer operations. An integer is a whole number with no fractional part. This is a basic operation in all computer software and provides a good indication of 'raw' CPU throughput. The test uses a large set of random 32-bit and 64-bit integers and adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides these numbers."

It is simply fast addition/subtraction/division and multiplication of integers. It has nothing to do with multitasking.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Last edited:

joshua_sx1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I want this phone but no luck to get one... so, I settled with HTC One X+... speaking of, I believe this is the fastest mobile now in the market having quad-core 1.7Ghz... the only downside is its RAM... still at 1GB...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I sense sour grapes. I bet if the numbers were reversed you would not be posting this. BTW, do read what the tests are all about. They do have a section on the site what the tests measure. They seem to be straight forward tests of CPU/GPU speeds.

PassMark iOS, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad Benchmarks General Test Info

Nowhere does the description of the tests mention the impact of multitasking on the CPU.

"The Integer Math Test aims to measure how fast the CPU can perform mathematical integer operations. An integer is a whole number with no fractional part. This is a basic operation in all computer software and provides a good indication of 'raw' CPU throughput. The test uses a large set of random 32-bit and 64-bit integers and adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides these numbers."

It is simply fast addition/subtraction/division and multiplication of integers. It has nothing to do with multitasking.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Lol dude I'm very platform agnostic. I may prefer Android but I have devices on the BlackBerry, Windows Phone (just got a Lumia 920 on Sunday), WebOS, and yes iPhone (4S). I don't have a 5 yet because I am waiting on the 5S but that's a choice I've made and I could have one if I wanted.

Weather the benchmark measures the multitasking is beside the point. Your phone is a computer in your pocket and has processes running in the background. These consume power cycles whenever the phone is doing something else including running benchmarks. iOS had fewer of these than android. That's just a fact.

Please dont go making assumptions about my motives.

Last edited:

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

http://www.iphonebenchmark.net/cpu_test_info.html

Sent from my iPhone 7

The test may have nothing to do with multi tasking but can be affected by it. If background tasks are running alongside the task it will mean the "simply fast addition/subtraction/division and multiplication of integer" is sharing cpu time with other integers being manipulated... therefore slowing it down

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I want this phone but no luck to get one... so, I settled with HTC One X+... speaking of, I believe this is the fastest mobile now in the market having quad-core 1.7Ghz... the only downside is its RAM... still at 1GB...

More RAM does not equate speed. More RAM just means the phone can do more at once.

siriusnoodles

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
And it is a problem, especially since the HTC One X+ runs Sense UI. My father has an HTC One X+, and I checked its system processes. 758 MB out of 813 MB of RAM were being used even though there were no applications running, just the system services. Multitasking was also non-existent, every time that he pressed the recent apps button and went to a different app, he had to wait for the app to load up again. On my Nexus 4, in contrast, 660 MB out of 1200 MB are being used while Facebook, Google+, Avast, Xfinity Player, and a live wallpaper are running at the same time, and it multitasked without breaking a sweat. What gives? I had to install Nova Launcher on my dad's phone so that it would show the closing app animation correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton