1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Solavei/Tmobile speeds in manhattan NYC

So I got a nexus 4 a little while back and noticed that after the 1900mhz refarm and letting all the iphones on HSPA that now in Manhattan the data speeds are so slow.

I get 0.3mbps on the speedtest app and download around 40-80kbps from google play. So ya have other people out there been experiencing this? I get these terrible speeds in manhatty all the time on both tmobile and solavei since after the refarm. It was like 1-5mbps before.

Just for reference in brooklyn my speeds are blazing fast: 10mbps on the speedtest app and download from google play anywhere from 300kbps-1.5mbps (sometimes I get bursts of speed 5mbps and up).

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 Solavei/Tmobile speeds in manhattan NYC

It seems strange that the 1900 band would impact the Nexus 4. I thought that T-Mobile/Solavei uses the 1700/2100 bands for 3g/HSPA+ and T-Mobile phones are set up to use 1700/2100. It's ATT phones that use 1900. Even with the refarm why would the Nexus 4 switch what bands it uses?

I guess what I'm saying is that if you live in an area that hasn't been refarmed yet, the Nexus 4 would use 1700/2100. Why would them switching on the 1900 refarm impact the Nexus 4?

My T-Mobile speeds have been great even in Manhattan

sent from my nexus 4 or nexus 7
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I called Solavei. Apparently the tower that I connect to usually in manhattan is being upgraded to LTE. They said that is probably why the speeds are so terrible there.

I tried my phone today on the lower east side and i got 14mbps download. So its definitely the tower and not all of manhattan.

Loving Solavei on my Nexus 4 so far. It seems to have all the post paid feature of regular tmobile just for cheaper lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy123 View Post

Loving Solavei on my Nexus 4 so far. It seems to have all the post paid feature of regular tmobile just for cheaper lol.
    Right there with you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon6 View Post
    My T-Mobile speeds have been great even in Manhattan

sent from my nexus 4 or nexus 7
    ditto. i was getting 10+ mbps download speeds all over manhattan on Tmobile.