1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long does it take the Nexus 4 to acquire a signal after being in a "no service" area?

I've currently got a iPhone 3gs sitting on the T-Mobile network and when I'm in my office I get no signal.. Once I leave the building it takes minutes to reacquire the network signal -- frequently about 3-4 or more minutes. I realize that the iPhone 3gs is not talking on all available frequencies for TMO but thought I'd ask -- if the same sort of situation was to be done using the Nexus 4, how long might it take the Nexus 4 to reacquire a TMO signal?

Default Re: How long does it take the Nexus 4 to acquire a signal after being in a "no service" area?

Seconds.

Default Re: How long does it take the Nexus 4 to acquire a signal after being in a "no service" area?

I havent tested this with no service to full service but if i turn ON aeroplane mode(no service) and turn OFF the mode. it takes about 1-2 seconds to get back the service
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to making the jump to Android from my current 'vintage' iPhone as soon as they are restocked in the play store..

Quote Originally Posted by osxaddict View Post
    as soon as they are restocked in the play store..
    So . . . next Christmas?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've been testing the switching times between standard T-Mobile networks and their 1900MHz refarming, as well as from dead areas and roaming areas moving into areas of standard T-Mobile service. All signal changes happened within thirty seconds of when they should have, with the average being around eight seconds.

Jumping from a 3GS to any recently-released Android phone will yield many benefits in the areas of signal strength and reception, and the Nexus 4 is definitely near the top of the list. It's fast and -- so far -- quite reliable.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks guys! I'm also expecting to be nicely surprised when that shiny Nexus 4 shows up in my mailbox! (yeah, whenever that is!)

Quote Originally Posted by osxaddict View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm also expecting to be nicely surprised when that shiny Nexus 4 shows up in my mailbox! (yeah, whenever that is!)
    As a developer, I work with quite a few devices as they come and go from the market.. and I was very pleasantly surprised by the Nexus 4. You'll love it.

I'm on AT&T now but when I was on TMO I noticed that when I went into an area that was Edge only, if I then re-entered an area with HPSA+, the phone would sometimes refuse to give up the Edge connection. I'd have to toggle on/off airplane mode to get it to go back to HPSA+.