Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hubertsng
  • 1 Post By 0xbleed
  • 1 Post By 0xbleed
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Nexus 4 - Palm Interferes with Touch Gestures

When holding the nexus 4 phone in one hand with a slight firm grip (grip is good to prevent fragile phone from cracking on floor), often times the palm / base of thumb interferes by touching the side of the screen while gesturing with my thumb, causing the screen to seem unresponsive to the thumb gesture.

Does anyone else have this issue?
    Does anyone know any potential solutions to this?
    Could using the bumper prevent this from happening?

Other then this frustration, I am loving the nexus 4.
    Last edited by 0xbleed; 01-29-2013 at 06:54 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Nexus 4 - Palm Interferes with Touch Gestures

Really, nobody gets this issue?

Not with my giant hands and a bumper
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 0xbleed View Post
    you must have a huge hand. nexus 4 is wide and I cant even touch the 2 edges comfortably
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie_r View Post
    Not with my giant hands and a bumper
    oooh so bumper may be the solution then... What about without the bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you must have a huge hand. nexus 4 is wide and I cant even touch the 2 edges comfortably
    lol my hand is not huge.. nothing bigger then an average adult hand.

Maybe i'm just not used to a big screen as I came from the iphone 5.

Yeah I can't visualize the problem. How exactly are you holding the phone? Try fingers on one side, base of thumb on the other, leaving your thumb free to navigate on the screen.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Yeah I can't visualize the problem. How exactly are you holding the phone? Try fingers on one side, base of thumb on the other, leaving your thumb free to navigate on the screen.

Sorry, I edited OP to clarify better. That is the way I am holding it, with one hand, gesturing with the thumb, though the base of my thumb / palm sometimes touches the side of the screen while gesturing with the thumb :/

yeah... not sure how you manage that. maybe you just hold yours weird. imagine my wallet as the phone but just taller. its about the same width as the phone (just a bit larger).
    taking picture with the Nexus 4, don't have a spare camera so that's why i'm doing this.
    My hands aren't even that big and i never have that problem. even when i gesture without the case, it doesn't interfere
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 - Palm Interferes with Touch Gestures-img_20130129_202230.jpg  

Slide the phone down to where your fingers are holding it. Gives your thumb more freedom. However I highly recommend some kind of case. (Yes I know how pretty it is).

Echoing what the others have said, I'd recommend a bumper, though not necessarily a full-on case.

You should consider the one sold through the Play store; it's very minimalistic but feels great in the hand. It should provide a bit more separation between your hand and the screen without adding bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    Echoing what the others have said, I'd recommend a bumper, though not necessarily a full-on case.

You should consider the one sold through the Play store; it's very minimalistic but feels great in the hand. It should provide a bit more separation between your hand and the screen without adding bulk.
    Rather go for the poetic bumper, more color schemes and cheaper by 10.

Sent from my Nexus 4
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by pugnuttt View Post
    Slide the phone down to where your fingers are holding it. Gives your thumb more freedom. However I highly recommend some kind of case. (Yes I know how pretty it is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Rather go for the poetic bumper, more color schemes and cheaper by 10.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanks a lot guys, will take all the advice

When I hold the phone it's on the edges and don't curl my hand round onto the screen. Be more aware of what your hand is doing.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Marten View Post
    When I hold the phone it's on the edges and don't curl my hand round onto the screen. Be more aware of what your hand is doing.
    yeah that is how I am using it now. I just came from an iphone and just needed to get used to it. Thanks Doc.

By the way, I also just got this case which makes it much more easy to grip and is slick as hell. I love it.
    Thanked by:
    pugnuttt likes this.
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 0xbleed View Post
    I just tried gripping the phone very tightly so my thumb/palm hangs over the edge and then swipe. I was able to reproduce what your'e talking about. That said, I've NEVER done this in real use since I don't hold the phone that way. I guess you either need to get a case that gives you some more room or change the way you're gripping the phone a bit.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    I just tried gripping the phone very tightly so my thumb/palm hangs over the edge and then swipe. I was able to reproduce what your'e talking about. That said, I've NEVER done this in real use since I don't hold the phone that way. I guess you either need to get a case that gives you some more room or change the way you're gripping the phone a bit.
    Often times just whenever I am particularly trying to reach the thumb toward the farthest side or corner of the screen for an app or swipe. Just need to get used to holding it differently.

I have the same prob sometimes cuz I have small hands for an adult male. From personal experience, a bumper only adds to the problem because it adds with to the phone and i found myself having trouble reaching the recent apps and sometimes the home button with one hand. Readjustment of the hand is the only solution I've found.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by chrispher86 View Post
    I have the same prob sometimes cuz I have small hands for an adult male. From personal experience, a bumper only adds to the problem because it adds with to the phone and i found myself having trouble reaching the recent apps and sometimes the home button with one hand. Readjustment of the hand is the only solution I've found.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    You can get one of those cases then that actually come up PAST the screen and is a huge hindrance if you want to swipe the screen from edge to edge. i'm bad at explaining
    check this page out and put your mouse over the images

i know it isn't nexus 4 but that's the case that i've seen with it. Pretty sure it'll help
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Guys I also realized that the screen protector which it came with was actually magnifying the touch sensitivity. Seems better now.
    gone down south likes this.