Considering an N4. Camera quality?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I really like the N4 and am seriously considering selling my iPhone 5 and getting an N4 to compliment my N7. However, I've heard mostly negative points about the N4's camera. How is everyone finding it? I have two young kids and a decent camera phone is paramount for me to capture moments quickly. If anyone is in a position to do so, I'd be grateful for a few comparison shots taken on an iPhone 5 and an N4. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
decent megapixels but bad camera. The S3 i think is better and the iphone is better than Nexus 4. I don't have an iphone 5 so i can't but the shutter speed of the Nexus 4 is also slower on the native camera app, not sure about third party.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Damn :( kind of a deal breaker for me. Perhaps I'll wait for the next gen Nexus 4 and hope it has better camera hardware. Thanks for replying.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
There are negative post about every camera on every phone that's ever been made. Go page through the N4 photo sticky. There are great shots and there are terrible shots. It all depends on who's using the device. As far as I'm concerned, the N4 camera is great.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Damn :( kind of a deal breaker for me. Perhaps I'll wait for the next gen Nexus 4 and hope it has better camera hardware. Thanks for replying.

get the s3. Almost as cheap as the Nexus 4 but it isn't unlocked. It has a better camera. Then nokia lumia 920 has an amazing camera that i heard. You can also get a galaxy camera if you want..? I mean it has android and everything.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You know how tech is.... 18 months ago this would have been one of the best cameras in the market. Today, it's middle of the pack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed in the camera. Only reason I bought the phone. Comparisons had it lower than SG3, iphone..... I ended up buying a p & s. I hoping that key lime pie will help with the software as it seems to be the problem. There are shots that are good and others that make you think "WTF."

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As noted above, the Nokia Lumia 920 has probably one of the best (if not the best) cameras available on a smartphone right now, especially in low light situations. However it's Windows Phone, so that may be a deal breaker right there. The iPhone 5 does have a better camera than the Nexus 4, but the Nexus camera isn't terrible by any stretch. You can certainly get great shots with it, especially if you use a different camera app. If you're looking for a quick point and shoot type camera on a smartphone, however, the iPhone 5 is probably your best bet if you don't want Windows Phone.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I own an N4, S3 & iPhone 5 - I find they all take comparable pictures if you're only viewing them on mobile devices.

If however, you're looking to display them on a TV, the S3 I found to be the worse (with HDR enabled for both the N4 & iPhone 5).

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I own an N4, S3 & iPhone 5 - I find they all take comparable pictures if you're only viewing them on mobile devices.

If however, you're looking to display them on a TV, the S3 I found to be the worse (with HDR enabled for both the N4 & iPhone 5).

really? From a video i saw, the nexus 4 takes the pictures darkest and least clarity and even though it has 8 megapixels, zooming in a bit will create more blurred than the S3

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
really?

From the handful I've taken with all 3 using a tripod rig I borrowed to take the exact same pictures, yup.
Again, not a huge difference though.

And for those disputing I actually have all 3 devices, here's my current collection:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359510336072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359510336072.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 63

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think if your a regular user like me then you wont have any problems at all with the camera. At the end of the day it is still a 8 megapixel camera.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm still tempted I must admit. I've had iPhone's for the last 4-5 years and it's getting a little stale now. Something that even some diehard Apple fans are finding and getting frustrated with, as the design and the iOS have not changed too much.

Nexus 7 was a breath of fresh air to be honest hence it had me thinking about selling up and getting a Nexus 4.

It ticks all the boxes for me (not to mention I'd come out of the sale of the iPhone 5 32GB and purchase of the N4 with cash in hand) with the exception of the camera.

My camera usage is basically photographing my kids. That might be indoor or outdoor. Mostly just to keep on the phone/PC, posting to Facebook etc. and occasionally printing a few out on 6x4" photo paper. One thing I do think the iPhone 5 is good at though, is shutter speed. Gives me the ability to snap away many photos in quick succession and weed out the worst from the best. I'm not convinced from the replies here and some reviews I've read that I can achieve the same with the N4.

I'm reluctant to consider a Samsung as I'm not the biggest fan of the company. I do like my Google services so again, not sure I really want to go down the Windows route.

Definitely going to check out some more photograph examples linked here.

Thanks for your replies.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Link doesn't seem to work for me :/

you may want to look at an HTC one x+. The camera and screen are gorgeous and every review will back this up. Or wait for the new M7. I don't hate the camera on my nexus 4 but got better shots consistently on my Samsung Galaxy S2 which was well known for the camera quality. It's not that you can't take a good photo with the nexus 4 but it seems to take more fiddling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lol $300 Nexus and $75 Samsung ST201 from Walmart is still cheaper than any of the other options mentioned. Honestly for the spur of the moment shots, the Nexus will do but if you know you will need a camera (trips, hikes, etc) then of course you will need a dedicated camera. I understood the risk of getting the Nexus 4. It is a great device for what you get (besides the camera). I am very happy and glad I took the plunge.

ido1985

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
for me at least the camera was great for daytime photos but pretty bad in low light situations... either night or indoors (like inside a club or something). saw people next to me taking much better pics with old iphones even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20